• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Time to move to HTML5 video?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Hi there,

Adobe Flash is a bloated hellish mess that *always* kills itself in my browser after certain quantity of videos watched. And it even manages to kill itself just being left alone for a night. (This is because it's design is so deeply flawed that no matter what Adobe does there is always resource/memory leak which kills it.)

So it is long overdue for ANN to get rid of this disaster and use HTML5.

I understand that this is not quite easy:

1) licensing is free only with limited number of plays per year. If the number is big enough, then some licensing fees should be calculated and transferred to patent pool organization MPEGLA;

2) for HTML5 playback to be universal, you have to code videos in three formats: MP4, OGV, WEBM -- triple coding versus flash-only solution.

The good side is that HTML5 videos start much lighter and never crash -- at least for me -- no matter how many videos I watch (I test it via YouTube, using trick to force HTML5 player as I have Flash uninstalled).

When ANN will move to HTML5 video tag?
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:59 pm Reply with quote
The videos are all DRM-ed. HTML5 does not support this and it's extremely possible it never will.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Hi Max,

Most of the videos on ANN are embedded, so we have no control over those.

The only videos we serve ourselves are the trailers. We could move those to HTML5, but it quite honestly isn't on our roadmap right now.

So to answer your question: I don't know.

-Christopher Macdonald
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:49 am Reply with quote
Thanks, I see. I probably stumbled upon a trailer. Since everything else is embedded, I agree that to start whole transition thing only for trailers probable makes no much sense.

As to DRM, I watch YouTube "Plus" videos via HTML5 player. YouTube Plus is protected, fee-binding content (you have to pay monthly via credit card to see such content), which was launched by Google this spring. Not sure if it uses DRM, but somehow content providers feel protected enough.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1