• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Follow Up: Victor Voice Actress Auditions for Macross

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
goins007

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:37 pm Reply with quote
soo...maybe we can find out what happend to the SDF-2 Megaroad 01?
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
superdeformed

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Maybe this Macross series will focus on the actual story of the universe one more?

Like what about the Supervision army? What about the Protoculture?

Maybe all dog fights will be dog-fights and not concerts.

The first series used the whole music thing plausibility, where as 7 had magic? bah.

Plus could have been named something else, I did enjoy it, but it wasn't really Macross to me.

I enjoyed Macross a lot more when the drama aspect was the (very good) back-story and mankind's struggle against the overwhelming force of the Zentradi was the main story.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 3:36 pm Reply with quote
superdeformed wrote:

Protoculture ? Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Protoculture exclusive to Robotech ? I'm not a big fan of either Robotech or Macross, but that was my understanding.

-t
superdeformed

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:36 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
superdeformed wrote:

Protoculture ? Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Protoculture exclusive to Robotech ? I'm not a big fan of either Robotech or Macross, but that was my understanding.

-t

Protoculture was in bother series.

In Robotech Protoculture was what the Zentradi used for making clones, and in the 3rd part it was used as a fuel source? Basically it was a chemical.

In Macross the Protoculture was the ancient civilization (or culture) that spawned the Zentradi, Supervision Army, and as a result of tampering with life on earth, Humanity.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:07 am Reply with quote
I agree that the Macross sequels didn't feel like Macross. I really couldn't stand Macross 7, but loved the movie and the new stuff from Flashback 2012. At the end of the original series there was this threat and mystery of the Supervision army presented that was never resolved. If I recall the Zentradi had destroyed the Protoculture, but I can't recall if the Supervision army was still around. The Supervision army were the ones who created both the Macross, and the factory that the crew capture near the end of the series IIRC. It would be great to see the race that built the Macross in action against the combined Megaroad and Zentradi forces.
superdeformed

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Randall Miyashiro wrote:
I agree that the Macross sequels didn't feel like Macross. I really couldn't stand Macross 7, but loved the movie and the new stuff from Flashback 2012. At the end of the original series there was this threat and mystery of the Supervision army presented that was never resolved. If I recall the Zentradi had destroyed the Protoculture, but I can't recall if the Supervision army was still around. The Supervision army were the ones who created both the Macross, and the factory that the crew capture near the end of the series IIRC. It would be great to see the race that built the Macross in action against the combined Megaroad and Zentradi forces.

Well the funny thing is that in Macross 7 they answer who the Supervision Army is. Of course it was hokey and kind of contradicted the original series some. Macross Zero utterly contradicts the Original series as well. In fact I am just starting to loath a new series even being made now. Blah.
ABetterTimeandPlace

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Randall Miyashiro wrote:

The Supervision Army made the Macross, but the factory was Zentradi. That's why the show has the factory trying to build Zentradi pods in the episode after its capture.

Although, our heroes do stumble upon a Supervision shipwreck in the same episode as the factory operation,
ABetterTimeandPlace

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:05 pm Reply with quote
superdeformed wrote:
Well the funny thing is that in Macross 7 they answer who the Supervision Army is. Of course it was hokey and kind of contradicted the original series some. Macross Zero utterly contradicts the Original series as well. In fact I am just starting to loath a new series even being made now. Blah.

How did either contradict the original series dramatically more than Flashback 2012 and Plus did? (Or DYRL, although that has an explanation.)
superdeformed

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 4:26 pm Reply with quote
ABetterTimeandPlace wrote:
superdeformed wrote:

How did either contradict the original series dramatically more than Flashback 2012 and Plus did? (Or DYRL, although that has an explanation.)

DYRL is a dramatization of the original and was made to be a movie as if made by the people in the Macross universe.

7 contradicted the original by it's claim that the protoculture summon the Protodevilin which in turn Brain-washed some Zentradi and Protoculture people to form the Supervision army. Where as in the original the Supervision army was another race created by the Protoculture to wage war with, just as they did with the Zentradi.

Zero contradicted the original by the simple mentioning of Protoculture which was not known to humanity in the original until Boddole Zer said it to Misa, Hikaru, and Kakizaki when they were prisoners.

Flashback 2012 is more a set of music videos and Minmei taking off for Megaroad One than an actual series. But nothing to my knowledge realy contradicts anything.

Plus didn't do anything with the universe other than show the Macross in the last episode and didn't contradict anything.
ABetterTimeandPlace

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:09 pm Reply with quote
superdeformed wrote:

7 contradicted the original by it's claim that the protoculture summon the Protodevilin which in turn Brain-washed some Zentradi and Protoculture people to form the Supervision army. Where as in the original the Supervision army was another race created by the Protoculture to wage war with, just as they did with the Zentradi.

Actually, the original series didn't say the Supervision was a separate race, just an enemy faction. In any case, the former leaders of the Supervision Army did have bodies created by the Protoculture.

Quote:
Zero contradicted the original by the simple mentioning of Protoculture which was not known to humanity in the original until Boddole Zer said it to Misa, Hikaru, and Kakizaki when they were prisoners.

Zero bridged one simple real-life fact: Protoculture is a real term in anthropological research. The original series didn't say that humanity hadn't heard of it, just that these characters (who weren't in Macross Zero) hadn't heard of it. Even Zero's story made a point of saying the anthropological connection between the term Protoculture, humans, and these aliens was a disputed theory in 2008.

Quote:
Flashback 2012 is more a set of music videos and Minmei taking off for Megaroad One than an actual series. But nothing to my knowledge realy contradicts anything.

The main "contradiction" is the different design of the SDF-1 Macross. However, like with DYRL and Macross 7, this apparent contradiction is explained away in backstory. This is not new with the recent stories.
Rena_Ryuuguu

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:13 am Reply with quote
So.....how do you submit audition entries? Where do you send them to Question
Confused
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1