• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New English Toei Website

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vapors

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Get ready to hear nothing but questions regarding their incomplete series release, whether the last season of Sailor Moon will come to the states (for like the millionth time) and why they licensed Bo^7 and One Piece to Illumintoon and 4Kids and had these shows "butchered" (fans words, not neccesarily mine).

They probably should've done this a long time ago. Like, in the beginning.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:50 pm Reply with quote
I like how they still don't have contact information. Rolling Eyes Though it's pretty hilarious that 4Kids isn't included in their links section.

Last edited by GATSU on Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ryusui

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo was not "butchered". One Piece, though? Undeniably so.

On a side note, this is really kinda funny. Knowing Toei, this website won't last a year. That, or they'll update it exactly once and keep the damn thing alive and useless for the next decade.

Toei, "reaching out" to the United States? Ha. The only thing that will convince me of their good faith is a public apology for letting morons like Saban and 4Kids license their series. And where the hell's my Maple Town Story/Palm Town DVD boxset?
Dexo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:22 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
I like how they still don't have contact information. Rolling Eyes Though it's pretty hilarious that 4Kids isn't included in their links section.

Not even just that...

The fact that 4kids is not mentioned AT ALL, 4kids supposedly has Precure...No mention of them...and on One Piece's page They mention the people releasing the DVD's(Viz) and the people who deal with Games and Action figures(Bandai) but no mention of the people who did the actual dubbing...I just find that hillarious...
jsyxx

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:34 pm Reply with quote
I'm worried about going to that site. Are you sure it won't infect my computer with viruses because I'm evil, American, consumer swine?
os-osiris

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:54 pm Reply with quote
I'm really liking the site's layout. Smile

Did anyone else notice that they have a section there for Digimon season 5 now? I wonder what this means for how soon they'll be bringing it here. They even gave it a new title, Digimon Data Squad, which if I'm not mistaken, would be the first time a season of Digimon had a unique english title ^^
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:02 pm Reply with quote
I'll give them credit for not giving up on the US and trying to get it right. I hope this means they have someone with a good working knowlegde of the US, and world markets, in the right postion to make it work this time. That will only tell.
jsyxx

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
I'll give them credit for not giving up on the US and trying to get it right.

Call me when these things have actually occurred.
Pyoko

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:42 pm Reply with quote
J-Syxx wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
I'll give them credit for not giving up on the US and trying to get it right.

Call me when these things have actually occurred.

Exactly. Whether or not Toei was very involved in the production of the Illumitoon released DVDs I don't know, but the fact that those were even worse than the initial Toei releases doesn't exactly help in clearing their name. And that both Slam Dunk and Air Master have vanished from the site doesn't look too good either.
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Ryusui wrote:
Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo was not "butchered".

I think Vapors was referring to the DVDs of Bo^7.

In any case, this is interesting to hear. While none of Toei's titles have really interested me aside from Zatch Bell! & Kamisama Kazoku, at least their intentions for the site are nice. (Or so it seems.)
detective392

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:57 pm Reply with quote
cant wait for more news on digimon data squad i just hope we get dvd's this time and maby boxset's for season 1-4 and dvd's for the last 4 movies and that toei dosent give savers to illumintoon.
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:21 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

They'll rue the day they ever do that...even if it is an eventuality.

I thought it was something that 4Kids wasn't even mentioned in part for their role in bring One Piece over *coughinpiecescough*. If this is the start of damage control for the company, Toei would best be trying to reach out to the disillusioned fanbase.

Overall, the site is nicely designed and whimsical. I imagine that, perhaps, Toei wanted to get it up and working first before posting any contact info of any form, since the feedback generated would most likely bust a server or two. If they really want to "reach out to the N. American (and other English-speaking territory) fans directly," this is the first major step in doing so. Additionally, it would be in their best interests to follow the type of quality guidelines that other companies here use and not deliver a poorly-constructed product. Toei should also look into mending their past disc issues, finish releasing the unfinished series, and shop One Piece to another company for an uncut format release, which would surely garner some sales given its dedicated fans.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ryusui

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:35 pm Reply with quote
How bad are the Bo-bobo DVDs, if you don't mind me asking?
Pyoko

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Ryusui wrote:
How bad are the Bo-bobo DVDs, if you don't mind me asking?

Read the AnimeOnDVD review for the full list. Short version: like the Toei discs you can get by if you watch it in English, but the subtitles for the Japanese track are, basically, fubared.
Tsukae

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:15 pm Reply with quote
One Piece and Bobobobobo were butchered horrifically and I wish I had sat down and watched them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3