• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Mamotte! Lollipop GN 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
championferret

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:42 am Reply with quote
Wow, I thought this review was a *little* too harsh, being one of the people who actually enjoyed this series.
It isnt mind-blowing in any way, but I personally really like the supporting characters, particularly Forte (who I'll assume you referred to as 'the cross-dresser').
For me, its Forte that makes the series worth reading. Anime hyper
There's far more generic shoujo series that have gotten kinder reviews than this, anyway.
grooven

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:15 pm Reply with quote
I don't think the art is ordinary. I actually found out about this series from the art. It looks very different. The plot builds up as the story continues. I think the characters and situation make up for the lack of the story in the beginning.

This is really one of my favorite mangas though.

Yeah there are way more cliche shoujo series out there with less ejoyable art.
jgreen

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:10 pm Reply with quote
I haven't read the book yet, but I think the art on this book looks horrendous. I can appreciate super-duper shojo artwork (Pichi Pichi Pitch, for example), but Mamotte just looks really, really bland and generic.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
championferret

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:13 am Reply with quote
jgreen wrote:
I haven't read the book yet, but I think the art on this book looks horrendous..

The cover, I'll admit, I really dont like, I wouldnt say 'horrendous', I'd just say 'not great at all'. The artwork inside, however, is much nicer, trust me.

I'd just like to point out one thing in the review...I personally think Nina having a 'reason' for eating the pearl/candy would make it *more* cliche.
jgreen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:44 pm Reply with quote
championferret wrote:
jgreen wrote:
I haven't read the book yet, but I think the art on this book looks horrendous..

The cover, I'll admit, I really don't like, I wouldnt say 'horrendous', I'd just say 'not great at all'. The artwork inside, however, is much nicer, trust me.

I flipped through it, and I actually liked the interiors less than the cover. It just struck me as not having much of its own style, and the characters' facial dimensions are weird, like their mouths and eyes are practically touching each other. I know, it's just a drawing, but it just struck me as very strange and off-putting.

Of course, I realize that "flipping through it" and actually reading it are two different things, so my tune may change when I actually sit down to read it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
championferret

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It just struck me as not having much of its own style

Well, I have chapters of MamoLoli in the two issues of Nakayoshi I own. Once I was looking at all the manga in here and getting annoyed at how unoriginal so many shojou mangaka's styles are. I pointed out the ones that had styles that were more recognizable than others, and MamoLoli was actually in that list. Granted, its not REALLY original (Sugar Sugar Rune I picked as the most original art style, followed by Kamichama Karin; you can pick Koge Donbo's art anywhere) but it stood out alot more than 80% of the other manga in these issues. Just my opinion, anyway.
Quote:
and the characters' facial dimensions are weird, like their mouths and eyes are practically touching each other. I know, it's just a drawing, but it just struck me as very strange and off-putting.

This is actually exactly how I feel about the art in Saint Tail, and some other Ciao series called 'Angel Hunt'. I thought Angel Hunt's art was absolutely hideous...it looked like all the girls eyes were like fried eggs dripping off their faces. I personally find the massive-eyed look in MamoLoli quite cute, but I can see how it would annoy others. However, if you think these eyes are big, you definitley dont want to see Mahou Shojo Tenshi Milcute (or whatever it was called), which is by the same artist as MamoLoli. THOSE are big, scary eyes.
(on that note, Mahou Shojo Tenshi Milcute is far more unoriginal, boring and uninspiring that anything in MamoLoli, although I cant see that series getting licensed any time soon)
jgreen

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:11 am Reply with quote
championferret wrote:
Well, I have chapters of MamoLoli in the two issues of Nakayoshi I own. Once I was looking at all the manga in here and getting annoyed at how unoriginal so many shojou mangaka's styles are. I pointed out the ones that had styles that were more recognizable than others, and MamoLoli was actually in that list. Granted, its not REALLY original (Sugar Sugar Rune I picked as the most original art style, followed by Kamichama Karin; you can pick Koge Donbo's art anywhere) but it stood out alot more than 80% of the other manga in these issues.

I'd much, MUCH rather read Sugar Sugar Rune. Mr. Green
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1