• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 1 Year After Japan's Stricter Download Law, Music Sales Stagnate

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:38 am Reply with quote
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:08 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Quote:
mdo7 has some good points that can help expand J-Pop outside Japan

Except that no one from the Japanese companies is reading this and there's literary nothing anyone of us can do to "save" the Japanese music industry (if it even needs saving. Just because their sales have not increased doesn't mean they're going bankrupt). So all mdo7 is doing (and has been doing for a long time) is cluttering the forums with huge walls of text that say little more than "KOREA IS SO POPULAR AND JAPAN IS NOT".

Back on topic, I'm glad about this. Maybe companies will stop blaming piracy for the decline of their industry (music, anime, films, fried chips) and focus on finding the real problem. If they'd also realize that people who pirate won't magically start buying legal media just because you make piracy illegal (lol?) and instead try to reach out to those people through different ways that are not "BUY MY OVERPRICED SHIT OR GO TO JAIL" (coughpricescough) maybe, just maybe people wouldn't pirate so much.

Yeah, like I really expect that to happen.

Well Japan can't keep their music in their homeland forever. A lot of people said that Japan's music market is self-sustained, but here's what people didn't see: population decline in Japan, expensive CDs, and not taking international market seriously. Japan should've known that the international market is the key for Japan's music market to survive. US music market is #1, but our artists still do world tour and their albums do well outside of US.

Quote:
PS. For all that it's worth, Koreas superduper antipiracy campaign is so successful I typed a random K-Pop name on google and found download sites in seconds. Wink

It's not perfect, but it's better then Japan's draconian anti-piracy law. If Korea has use Japan's anti-piracy law then the Korean music market would be screwed and K-pop wouldn't have gotten big globally like what it is now, and I would've gotten stuck listening to the horrid dubstep, and mediocre rap music that is coming out in the USA. Korea still make money from overseas, Youtube, and maybe other revenues.

Kiakaioh wrote:
It would have been just as bad if the article had been written 6 months ago, when the industry was seeing a net increase of sales: then the article would have been titled "6 Months After Japan's Stricter Download Law, Music Sales Increase", and it would have been equally as misleading. There are lots of factors to consider in regards to the growth/decline of the Japanese music market, and while the stricter download law is one such factor, making such a direct contrast in the article glosses over the broader trends of the local/global markets in favor of speculative correlation (and as the saying goes, "correlation doesn't imply causation").

To my knowledge, while physical CD sales in Japan actually saw a slight increase last year and flattened out in the past year, digital sales were on a decline in 2012 even before the new law came into effect, a trend that seems to have continued into 2013 (my understanding is that this is mostly attributed to a decline in the mobile market, where digital sales predominantly take place in Japan). Also as a matter of putting things into perspective, I think the Japanese music industry was recently recognized as the 2nd largest in the world, and was poised to overtake the United States this year. Most of the world's music industries have been seeing declines in both physical and digital sales, so Japan having seen an uptick last year and then flatlining into this year is actually fairly good in comparison. It's all a matter of perspective, and I have to wonder if the source article might have been a little biased in painting things with a negative brush specifically in contrast to the download law. I'd be interested to hear anyone with better statistics/data and perspective on the market to give their take on the trends.

Well you're correct about the digital sales decline before this law went up. However, Japan's physical sales has decline also since 2011. It went up a little bit this year but I suspect and I know the physical sales will continue to decline in Japan due to it being expensive and the population decline will hurt the fanbase in Japan. So the international market will have to be the key to keep Japan's music industry alive. I remember Tempest telling me this:

Tempest wrote:
That said, Japan's industry was doing around US$5B in sales at it's peak, sales have already dropped 50% in the last 15 years, and with the population now declining they're only going to drop faster unless Japan can start exporting it's music.

So exporting and expanding J-pop artists outside of Japan (and Asia) will be the key for J-pop survival.

enurtsol wrote:
What's even funny is that, one year on, not a single soul has even been arrested due to this law! This law is all bark and no bite! Yet 40% of Japanese share left anyway.

The real problem is Japan needs to produce again enough music that people are willing to pay $30 for! Also reducing that price tag won't hurt.

Reducing the price and making better music for the general public won't be the only thing they need to do. If Japan music industry can target the international market, that will be the key to help fight the industry decline in Japan. That's why I want J-pop artists to enter the Korean and Chinese market. Do more concerts outside of Japan and outside of Asia, and make J-pop avaliable on Itunes (right now, J-pop on Itunes is limited). Also Japan's music industry should make better use of Youtube in order to help J-pop and J-music overall and to help J-pop artists gain more exposure outside of Japan and Asia. The international market will be the key for Japan's music industry survival. As I mention the European music market seems to have more money for foreign artists then Japan and US combined. So I think maybe J-artists should look into entering the European market.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Japan's music industry will suffer even more financial damage if Prime Minister Shinzo Abe's "Abenomics" (hike on sales tax) goes into effect.
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:36 pm Reply with quote
revolutionotaku wrote:
Japan's music industry will suffer even more financial damage if Prime Minister Shinzo Abe's "Abenomics" (hike on sales tax) goes into effect.

Great, the expensive CDs is not only bad enough, but raising the tax is going to make it worse. So I agree with you on that one. Nice job, Abe!!! great way to make items more expensive for people in Japan and nice job of destroying the music industry and others in Japan. Nice job of making us international anime fans have to pay more to import anime and J-pop CDs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ingraman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:51 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Quote:
mdo7 has some good points that can help expand J-Pop outside Japan

So all mdo7 is doing (and has been doing for a long time) is cluttering the forums with huge walls of text that say little more than "KOREA IS SO POPULAR AND JAPAN IS NOT".

Heh... As soon as I saw who it was from, I was wondering how far I'd have to read in mdo7's post before I got to the "Japan should be doing what Korea is doing" message that's in a large number of his(?) posts.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:51 pm Reply with quote
It's not soapboxing if it's relevant to the article being discussed. Turning half the thread in to a discussion about how much you dislike someone bringing up a topic on the other hand certainly could be soapboxing or trolling. Like it or not, his points are relevant to the article. If you don't like it then you don't have to read his posts or even acknowledge them, but we're not turning this thread in to a witch hunt.
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
It's not soapboxing if it's relevant to the article being discussed. Turning half the thread in to a discussion about how much you dislike someone bringing up a topic on the other hand certainly could be soapboxing or trolling. Like it or not, his points are relevant to the article. If you don't like it then you don't have to read his posts or even acknowledge them, but we're not turning this thread in to a witch hunt.

Thank you, I don't know what's wrong with people not liking K-pop (I thought anime fans are open-minded to other Asian culture, not just Japan) or Japan should learn and study method from Korea. OK, I was pointing out Japan can model their music distribution and marketing from Korea, which seem better at doing it then Japan. Also, given Japan's music market situation is somewhat in trouble, I think this is where Japan should maybe focus on international market instead of keeping it in Japan, when Japan's music market look grim from reading the article.

Keonyn, Kikaioh said the article's source is misleading or a bit out of date, can we get some verification on when the original article source on this came out. I want to make sure what's happening to Japan's music market is grim as ANN article has stated.
Hawkwing

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:11 pm Reply with quote
The music industry declined?

You don't say...
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:31 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
raising the tax is going to make it worse

Let's see. The three percent increase in the sales tax would add 90 yen to the price of a 3000 yen CD. I hardly think that is going to have much effect on music sales.

I'm more curious about the penetration of iTunes, or iTunes-like services, in Japan, where people can purchase individual songs rather than entire CDs. CNN reported that this trend has cut overall music revenues in the US to about a quarter of what they were in 2000. According to this article, though, digital music is still in its infancy in Japan, largely because the labels refused to cooperate with Apple. Sony, in particular, did not license its catalog to iTunes until just last year.

Eliminating "resale price maintenance" on copyrighted items would make a big difference as well.
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:14 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Let's see. The three percent increase in the sales tax would add 90 yen to the price of a 3000 yen CD. I hardly think that is going to have much effect on music sales.

Or you can just buy a used CD as low as 105 yen at BookOff.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:51 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Keonyn, Kikaioh said the article's source is misleading or a bit out of date, can we get some verification on when the original article source on this came out. I want to make sure what's happening to Japan's music market is grim as ANN article has stated.

I just moderate the forums, the articles author will have to address any concerns that people might have with the validity of its content.
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:42 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
mdo7 wrote:
raising the tax is going to make it worse

I'm more curious about the penetration of iTunes, or iTunes-like services, in Japan, where people can purchase individual songs rather than entire CDs. CNN reported that this trend has cut overall music revenues in the US to about a quarter of what they were in 2000. According to this article, though, digital music is still in its infancy in Japan, largely because the labels refused to cooperate with Apple. Sony, in particular, did not license its catalog to iTunes until just last year.

Eliminating "resale price maintenance" on copyrighted items would make a big difference as well.

Yes Japan doesn't fully embrace digital age because of the piracy logic whereas in Korea, embrace digital era. That's why PC gaming is popular in Korea unlike Japan. Korea is wired, Japan is not wired. So there's a huge differences why Korea take Itunes seriously unlike Japan. Everything these day is digital and online. Japan needs to stop being paranoid about piracy and the scariness of the internet and start getting more globally involved. Japan seem to rely too much on physical sales, guess it's galapago syndrome at it's best.
Shiratori1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:38 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
That's why PC gaming is popular in Korea unlike Japan. Korea is wired, Japan is not wired.

You are SOOO WRONG on this that it is not even funny. Rolling Eyes
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:16 am Reply with quote
Shiratori1 wrote:
mdo7 wrote:
That's why PC gaming is popular in Korea unlike Japan. Korea is wired, Japan is not wired.

You are SOOO WRONG on this that it is not even funny. Rolling Eyes

You have evidence to back this up, because I know more about Japan then you do. I know for a fact Japan is not wired. I know PC gaming in Japan is niche although that has started to change a bit but I'm not sure if that's going to mean PC gaming is going to become big in Japan. If you're trolling, then I guess you didn't read Keonyn's message.

Quote:
It's not soapboxing if it's relevant to the article being discussed. Turning half the thread in to a discussion about how much you dislike someone bringing up a topic on the other hand certainly could be soapboxing or trolling.
lostrune

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:26 am Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
It's not soapboxing if it's relevant to the article being discussed.

Hmm, got to wonder if you'd still feel that way if it was people criticizing America's industry for not being like Japan's Laughing

mdo7 wrote:
That's why PC gaming is popular in Korea unlike Japan.

Korea might have some PC games but Japan being the home of the Nintendo and Sony consoles probably has to do with their preference for console games, which Korea does not have. Not sure what PC gaming has to do with music though, or why it's important Japan embrace it aside from Korea does it so Japan better do it too Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3