• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japanese Box Office Update

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:02 am Reply with quote
Now, I know OP Movie #8 wasn't very good, but we didn't know that before the movie came out and it's unlilkely the Japanese would care all that much...so, hearing that it's not gotten first place, inspite of knowing how competitive a slot it is at the moment, it's a bit dis-heartening. Confused
firecrouch

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:41 am Reply with quote
How is it disheartening? It's been out I think for two weeks now and it's had to compete with "Doraemon". I don't see what the big deal is.
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:51 am Reply with quote
firecrouch wrote:
I don't see what the big deal is.

It's just the latest nail in the coffin of the OP franchise; even the glorious but reviled OP movie six did better at its box-office in its initial and subsequent weeks than OP #8, which has yet (if it can) secure the #1 slot. For being allegedly the "most popular manga in Japan", "one of the most popular anime" and a contender for the title of "most popular manga in history", the mere thought of the movie getting pushed around is contumelious.
firecrouch

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:27 am Reply with quote
It's not contumelious at all. "One Piece" is still very popular, and it's only natural for interest in a series to level off after it's been around for almost a decade. There's also other movies now that just happen to be out at the same time as "Alabasta Episode" that are more likely than not more interesting to the average Japanese consumer. And "Doraemon" came out that week; that anime blows "One Piece" out of the water in terms of mainstream penetration.
Cheesemon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:06 am Reply with quote
Man, I still don't get the hate for Movie 6, it's the only watchable OP movie so far IMO.

The position isn't that important compared to how much you make in the end . . you could be #1 and still not make much money. You could be #4 and stay there and make a lot. My Big Fat Greek Wedding was never #1 and still made like $250M just by sticking around. And I think OP has staying power. Here's a few stats I noted from boxofficemojo:

One Piece: 4
1. 2764602 (#2)
2. 1936186 (#5) -30%
3. 1418017 (#5) -27
4. 1074983 (#6) - 24
5. 942975 (#6) - 12
6. 662900 (#7) - 30
7. 323000 (#10) - 51.3
$15 million

One Piece: 5
1. 2554229 (#3)
2. 1843191 (#4) - 28
3. 1436315 (#5) - 22
4. 1141679 (#5) - 20
5. 1127867 (#5) - 1
$14 million

One Piece 6
1. 1664305 (#3)
2. 1193362 (#4) - 28
3. 895219 (#6) - 25
4. 756638 (#6) - 15
5. 948053 (#5) + 25
6. 407006 (#7) - 57
$11 million

One Piece 7
1. 1160787 (#4)
2. 914130 (#6) - 21.3
3. 631045 (#7) - 31
4. 560686 (#6) - 11
5. 669826 (#5) + 19.5
6. 253719 (#10) -62
$7.5 million

One Piece 8
1. 1422142 (#2)
2. 1032239 (#4) - 23

So a 23% drop is not bad and the usual for OP. I think it's en route to doing better than OP7, it will probably end around $10M which would be reason enough to do a sequel (plus rentals, DVD sales and merch could add another $30M+ easy). Still, the stats show that it does seem a lot of older fans have moved on. Maybe it's time to add an extra title to One Piece. Actually, I remember when Pokemon Movie 5 did awful at the box-office, but with movie 6, they switched to the "new" Pokemon: Advanced Generation and suddenly the numbers sky-rocketed back up. :P
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:30 pm Reply with quote
firecrouch wrote:
"One Piece" is still very popular, and it's only natural for interest in a series to level off after it's been around for almost a decade.

Which is why Dragonball basically doesn't exist in Japan anymore, right? DB was still roaring strong when new material was being produced; it only suffered a popularity dip from the period of GT's and and the kanzeban's release.

Considering OP is again at its "prime" again and yet it's starting to suffer some damage, it would appear that interest in the series isn't as strong as it once was. OP's popularity now is nothing compared with Arabasta, in no small part due to the ridiculously low production values.

Even a second-rate show like Naruto Shippuden gets far better treatment than the so called "king of anime". What a farce.

Cheesemon wrote:

So a 23% drop is not bad and the usual for OP. I think it's en route to doing better than OP7, it will probably end around $10M which would be reason enough to do a sequel (plus rentals, DVD sales and merch could add another $30M+ easy). Still, the stats show that it does seem a lot of older fans have moved on. Maybe it's time to add an extra title to One Piece. Actually, I remember when Pokemon Movie 5 did awful at the box-office, but with movie 6, they switched to the "new" Pokemon: Advanced Generation and suddenly the numbers sky-rocketed back up. Razz

Wow, I had no idea that fanservice monstrosity did so poorly. Even movie #6 did better!

Last edited by Malintex Terek on Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
JohnathanEnder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:32 pm Reply with quote
[quote=Malintex Terek]Even a second-rate show like Naruto Shippuden gets far better than the so called "king of anime". What a farce. [/quote]

Hrm another One Piece detractor. One Piece may not be earning as much in the terms of box-office receipts as it has in the past. But considering that every One Piece movie has come out somewhere in the Top 5 in the box-office does not indicate a decline in the series popularity. The show still garners high-ratings, and the manga continues to sell high.

Though after almost a decade (I've been watching the show since 2000) the overall effect is cooling down, but the receipts are still high and mighty. This show ahs garnered more success when it was at it's prime than Dragonball.

Also, the "you don't see Dragonball anymore" comment is in itself a joke. To this day, the name Dragonball still garners much interest from Japanese fans, and still manages to pull in a tidy sum. How long that will last though...well, I'm not sure. But at least by that time, One Piece will still be sitting pretty. Anime smile
crescendoll

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:37 pm Reply with quote
I think it did worse because all the movies up until this one were new original stories. But everyone's already seen what happened in Arabasta so...yeah thats probably a major reason for this. Also, its Doraemon! He's like a legend over there.
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:54 pm Reply with quote
JohnathanEnder wrote:

But considering that every One Piece movie has come out somewhere in the Top 5 in the box-office does not indicate a decline in the series popularity.

Just saying "top five" doesn't address placement in said top five, which clearly is an indication of popularity; you conveniently ignore that. Also, I'd rather not look at weekly box office ranks if I have actual total movie grosses at my disposal; initial rankings are useful on so much as they give an early indication of how successful a movie will eventually end up.

You need only look at Cheesemon's data to observe this; the longer and higher OP stayed in the top five, the more money any one movie made. There also looks to be a steady decline in revenue from each movie.

JohnathanEnder wrote:

The show still garners high-ratings, and the manga continues to sell high.

People keep saying that, and it's exceedingly irritating; all I see are a bunch of scared little fanboys giving a blind-eye to the recent dips in OP's ratings and sales. Yes, OP is still selling well in comparison to other manga, but it's not selling as well as it normall does for no good reason as far as the manga is concerned.

For the anime, it's the low production values, easy. Add that to the recaps and time-slot change and we've can account for the percentage drop in ratings.

JohnathanEnder wrote:

This show ahs garnered more success when it was at it's prime than Dragonball.

The anime? That's laughable. OP's anime never touched DB, and the manga is only going to beat DB's sales because it's longer. If you take into account time : revenue per volume, DB smokes OP easily, even during Arabasta.

JohnathanEnder wrote:

Also, the "you don't see Dragonball anymore" comment is in itself a joke.

A joke, you say? Oh really. Rolling Eyes
firecrouch

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:09 pm Reply with quote
It is a joke. "Dragonball" is a modern classic in Japan, you can't deny that, and it's only been around for about 20 years. Last time I checked "Dragonball Z" toys are still popular in Akihabra and the new "Dragonball" DVDs are going to be released next month. Before that "DBZ" DVDs were flying off the shelves.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1