• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Adds Diabolik Lovers Vampire TV Anime

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:19 pm Reply with quote
shouldn't be surprised, but wow
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:30 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
shouldn't be surprised, but wow

I haven't seen past the first episode. How dark dark does it get?
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:31 pm Reply with quote
I dont know. I'm staying away from this one
blaizevincent

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:38 pm Reply with quote
this is a dark show and questionable but damn the character designs are awesome.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Sadly being the only semi-fall show I've seen and dropped after one episode. There is no way i'm touching this series again even if sentai gave the blurays to me for free.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Lot of negativity about this show, without substantive explanations. Sort of makes it a must see.
sakuragtin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Why? I know the logic behind it is something like "Well we get reverse harem shows to satisfy girl fans" or some other BS but seriously, why this show? There were other (good, most definitely made with the female fan in mind *cough cough* Free! *cough wheeze* Makai Ouji! Sorry, titles stuck in my throat) shows ignored this summer season that need licensing so why this one right out the fall season starting gate?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Well, if watching six a-holes terrify and degrade a harmless, timid female is your idea of a good time, then this show is for you.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:20 pm Reply with quote
sakuragtin wrote:
Why? I know the logic behind it is something like "Well we get reverse harem shows to satisfy girl fans" or some other BS but seriously, why this show? There were other (good, most definitely made with the female fan in mind *cough cough* Free! *cough wheeze* Makai Ouji! Sorry, titles stuck in my throat) shows ignored this summer season that need licensing so why this one right out the fall season starting gate?

Simple theoretical answer, Diabolik lovers was most likely a cheap to license while Free! will cost more.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Oraculo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Well, if watching six a-holes terrify and degrade a harmless, timid female is your idea of a good time, then this show is for you.

As opposed to one [presumably male] a-hole degrade six females??? Confused (Nice avatar BTW - not "degrading" in the least! Rolling Eyes ) *groan*
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Oraculo wrote:
Blood- wrote:

As opposed to one [presumably male] a-hole degrade six females??? Confused (Nice avatar BTW - not "degrading" in the least! Rolling Eyes ) *groan*

I take it you haven't actually watched the show, know anything about the show or the game, or really anything at all.

Seriously. There are lines and Diabolik Lovers crosses them with glee. (btw that review is from someone who is a fan of Otome Games, so its not like its just bashing it because lolOtoge or something. Its truly vile)
sakuragtin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:36 pm Reply with quote
@Cecilthedarkknight_234
I know Free! is definitely more expensive and is a sports anime so two strikes against it (which is why I'm importing it despite it having no subtitles) but I'm not so sure about Makai Ouji. I'd be very surprised if it had a high licensing cost (god, the animation is cheap!) but who knows. Whim of the companies.
Ultimatum

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Oraculo wrote:
Blood- wrote:

I'm not sure what your argument is, but I hope we can agree that neither of those situations are healthy. Same as a female degrading a male, or six females degrading one male.
Is your example from something specific?
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:57 pm Reply with quote
sakuragtin wrote:
There were other (good, most definitely made with the female fan in mind *cough cough* Free! *cough wheeze* Makai Ouji! Sorry, titles stuck in my throat) shows ignored this summer season that need licensing so why this one right out the fall season starting gate?

This is from Showgate. Sentai has done business with them for a long time (most of their earliest titles were either from TBS or Showgate). They also deal with FUNi too. These days any title handled by them tends to be picked up by one of the two major NA companies during simulcast season. Other licensors act differently with their titles. TV Tokyo series like Makai Ouji tend to be streamed on Crunchyroll first and may (or may not) be licensed for home video at some point later. Notice how The World God Only Knows: Goddesses didn't get picked up for home video early by Sentai despite their connection to the earlier series.
sakuragtin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:23 pm Reply with quote
^
Neat. Thanks for tip.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4