• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 4Kids Entertainment Financial Results

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:13 pm Reply with quote
I don't think the TMNT movie is going to be helping all that much, just by looking at the trailer it looks great but sound terrible......also I remembering hearing earlier that this loss was somewhat expected because the decline in Yu-Gi-OH sales.....looks like 4kids needs a new series to make money off of.
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:13 pm Reply with quote
how do you only make 5 million profit on 80 million in sales? or am i reading that wrong. is 4kids involved in the TMNT movie?
firecrouch

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Well, there name's not on it, so I'm assuming they're not involved with the movie. 4Kids is just hoping that hype from the new movie will regain public interest in they're merchandise, I think.
fxg97873

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
I don't think the TMNT movie is going to be helping all that much, just by looking at the trailer it looks great but sound terrible......also I remembering hearing earlier that this loss was somewhat expected because the decline in Yu-Gi-OH sales.....looks like 4kids needs a new series to make money off of.

They got plenty of series...they just happened turned them into crap.

mk2000
naruto fan 09812

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:31 pm Reply with quote
This prove that people can take crap for so long. And hopefully Al Kahn will learn that people do like compainies that butcher anime and that the reason why they losing money.
uncutpokemon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:50 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
is 4kids involved in the TMNT movie?

if you've seen the trailer the fact that the movie was full of lame jokes and bad dialog! geez Kahn sure is a clueless idiot, the results have been going down all year long and he still has yet to say "you know, i should stop giving those anime fans the middle finger. and i should apologize for saying that kids don't read" i bet those two things would be a good start. wonder how much longer it will take for them to file bankruptcy? oh yeah and people, don't under any condition watch that TMNT movie!
Vapors

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:01 pm Reply with quote
I vaguely seem to recall the same results from last year as well. There was a loss in profits and everyone got real excited about "ZOMG! 4kids is going bankrupt! Hahaha! Burn in hell Al Kahn!" Hate to buzzkill but $100+M in cash/equivalents and no debt seems to me like a pretty healthy company just going through a rough patch. The TMNT movie doesn't look all that appealing to me, but I may go just for nostalgia sakes.

Hopefully, they'll let go of the anime series they currently hold as it now seems to not be the money maker it once was for them. Other than that, Al Kahn and 4Kids are not going anywhere anytime soon. Sorry.
Ninja337

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:09 pm Reply with quote
4Kids, as the name suggests, is for kids, not angsty 16 year old girls who fancy themselves as "otaku". When I was in fourfth grade, I loved Yu-Gi-Oh! and Pokemon, and I didn't mind the editing. I obviously don't like them now, because I'm frosh in High School, although I still watch the pokemon dubs lol. If you hate 4kids, thats expected, unless you're like 11 years old and browsing ANN. The reason 4kids is not succeeding in it's sales have very little to do with a demographic that their products do not aim for. IMHO 4Kids TV is becoming very unsuccessful because kids aren't watching Saturday morning cartoons anymore, and are watching more shows after school and on weekends. They should try to get Fox to give them the 2:00PM to 3:00PM block that I remember Kid's WB once had on the WB and stick some shows there, although that still won't fix the fact that Miguzi has frickin Naruto, Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh! GX on it's schedule, which is like an 8 year old's version of a wet dream.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:14 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
how do you only make 5 million profit on 80 million in sales?

Obviously the rest of the 80 million would be covering the production/transportation/advertisement/other various costs that the company incurred in order to create and market the product.
naruto fan 09812

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Ninja337 wrote:
4Kids, as the name suggests, is for kids. When I was in fourfth grade, I loved Yu-Gi-Oh! and Pokemon, and I didn't mind the editing. I obviously don't like them now, because I'm frosh in High School, although I still watch the pokemon dubs lol. If you hate 4kids, thats expected, unless you're like 11 years old and browsing ANN. The reason 4kids is not succeeding in it's sales have very little to do with a demographic that their products do not aim for. IMHO 4Kids TV is becoming very unsuccessful because kids aren't watching Saturday morning cartoons anymore, and are watching more shows after school and on weekends. They should try to get Fox to give them the 2:00PM to 3:00PM block that I remember Kid's WB once had on the WB and stick some shows there, although that still won't fix the fact that Miguzi has frickin Naruto, Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh! GX on it's schedule, which is like an 8 year old's version of a wet dream.
I understands what you are saying Ninja337 that they demographic is for kids. But the main reason why people hate 4KIDS because they are taking anime that was never meant for kids and butchering its to garbage kids fair. And that why anime fans hate its so much. And make people mad that their anime which is now turn into a dub,get butcher to mindless kiddy fare.
Sketchor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:33 pm Reply with quote
4kids is the international licensor of all things TMNT basically. However, they are getting a minmal cut of the profit for the movie while WB and Weinstein get the big money (if there is any).

However the merchadise revenue is where 4kids gets the big share. So any TMNT movie related product you buy is funding 4kids future. Now I wouldn't be a jaded anime fan if I didn't say I wish they would just go bankrupt. On the other hand I love TMNT and if there is a TMNT product that is worth buying then I'm going to buy it whether or not it helps 4kids. I'll reward them for good work and shun them for bad work. I think that's a pretty reasonable stand point.

So if the TMNT movie is a success it wont mean big things for 4kids unless the merchadise sells with it. So if you love TMNT, go see the dang movie. From what I've read, it's going to be the movie TMNT fans have been waiting for since the day they saw TMNT 1.

Something that wasn't mentioned here was that Al Kahn annouced that 4kidsTV will be focusing entirely on boys 6-11/9-14 with gaming oriented programing including of course Viva Pinata and Chaotic but YGO GX is also going to be airing on 4kidsTV in Fall. I'm not sure if this means CN will still be airing it or not but I would imagine they'd at least lose the premieres to 4kidsTV in the near future. Currently I don't believe GX is even on CN.

They're also dropping Winx Club and Bratz because of this change.

More TMNT Fast Forward is on the way but they didn't say if it was more of the intial order or more beyond that (meaning its either the other 12 for this season or 13+ more than that, gosh I hope it isn't the latter).

I don't see 4kids going after many if any more anime though. They really can't afford it with their losses. But I suppose I wouldn't put it past them to pick up another gaming oriented anime. I fear the most likely candidate is the new Blue Dragon series. Especially since like Viva Pinata that ties back into Xbox gaming and 4kids and Microsoft have a merchadising deal now much like they use to have with Nintendo.

Al Kahn said more shows would be annouced for Fall but he could not say what they were at the time.

They're bound to go under eventually though. Especially if they keep renewing their contract with FOX (which surely isnt' cheap and will only get more expensive each year).

At least I have the solice that they no longer control One Piece's fate in the US but there's no telling when we'll see episodes beyond what 4kids has already dubbed. I'm hopeful for Fall of 2007 or Spring of 2008 though. At the latest some time in 2009 (ugh...).

Also if you really think that 4kids wrote the script for TMNT and the jokes are their doing then I'd say you're not familar with TMNT at all. Corny jokes or at least "snappy humor" has always been part of TMNT. Espeically the old cartoon but the previous movies (even the first which was easily the most serious of the lot). TMNT is an incredibly silly concept but that's what makes it cool but along with that silly concept comes quite a bit of silly humor and that's always been the way of TMNT.
romanmack

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:39 pm Reply with quote
uncutpokemon wrote:
v1cious wrote:
is 4kids involved in the TMNT movie?

if you've seen the trailer the fact that the movie was full of lame jokes and bad dialog! geez Kahn sure is a clueless idiot, the results have been going down all year long and he still has yet to say "you know, i should stop giving those anime fans the middle finger. and i should apologize for saying that kids don't read" i bet those two things would be a good start. wonder how much longer it will take for them to file bankruptcy? oh yeah and people, don't under any condition watch that TMNT movie!
4Kids has nothing to do with the production of the TMNT movie, so I don't know what you're screaming about.

Let people watch what they want, you shouldn't have any say in the matter.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Ninja:
Quote:
The reason 4kids is not succeeding in it's sales have very little to do with a demographic that their products do not aim for. IMHO 4Kids TV is becoming very unsuccessful because kids aren't watching Saturday morning cartoons anymore, and are watching more shows after school and on weekends.

I think the reason the company isn't succeeding is that they just don't have cartoons kids want to watch anymore. Anime dub bastardizations aside, their domestic stuff reeks of corporate branding, and not something creative and/or entertaining.
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:49 pm Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
v1cious wrote:
how do you only make 5 million profit on 80 million in sales?

Obviously the rest of the 80 million would be covering the production/transportation/advertisement/other various costs that the company incurred in order to create and market the product.

yeah understand that aspect... but still, isn't that kind of low?
Mid-Boss

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:50 pm Reply with quote
uncutpokemon wrote:
don't under any condition watch that TMNT movie!

Mako is Master Splinter. I have to see it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4