• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Girl/Guy ratio of fans

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Noy wrote:
Might as well say its a second-rate Pokémon.

Yes it's true. I am a second-rate Pokemon.

Frenty-frenty chuuuuu!
Mephistophilus

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:56 pm Reply with quote
frentymon wrote:
Noy wrote:
Might as well say its a second-rate Pokémon.

Yes it's true. I am a second-rate Pokemon.

Frenty-frenty chuuuuu!

Ouch. You don't even get your own "call?" I figure they would at least give you a unique voice instead of likening you with a yellow rat-like lightning maker...

Wait, what?
musashi1600

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 1:33 am Reply with quote
Just some anecdotal info:

At my high school's anime club last year, we had about 25 people, with girls outnumbering guys roughly 2:1. This year, it's about 35 people with a 3:2 ratio of girls to guys, but all of the club officers are girls.
mikeyvt

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:02 am Reply with quote
First I want to start off by saying that I am a guy, 23, and in college. I will admit that when I first started watching anime I only wanted to watch the action oriented ones. The first anime I encountered was Tenchi Muyo. I didn't really watched any anime at all until 5 months ago. I watched the occasional Gundam Wing or Evangelion but never explored any other genres. My cousin introduced me to Love Hina and I knew that I was being close minded. I will admit that I am one of those guys that has no problem on sitting down and watching a romance series. I still do like my actions ones more though. Prefer to actually see a mixture of comedy, romance, and action. I think those are the best ones.
I think though that a lot of guys out there are very biased on what they watch or may have some preconvieved notions about a certain genre before they even give it a chance. I also think though that it is based on your age about what genre's you want to watch. As far as the guy/girl debate I honesetly didn't think there were that may females out there that watched anime. It does go to show that maybe the female fanbase just doesnt post too much. This honestly can be an argument that could go on forever, and before anybody says anything that I might be one of those people that have only seen a few anime series, I would like to say I do have over 140+ series/ 1000GB. 95% of what I have is d/l before the series is purchased for the US if at all.

Also in my area there is no such thing as a anime club. Your pretty much on your own.

Last edited by mikeyvt on Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:17 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:14 am Reply with quote
musashi1600 wrote:
Just some anecdotal info:

At my high school's anime club last year, we had about 25 people, with girls outnumbering guys roughly 2:1. This year, it's about 35 people with a 3:2 ratio of girls to guys, but all of the club officers are girls.

Heh, my old college club has an all-girl officership as well.

They don't trust guys, because every male that's ever signed up to be an officer for the club has flaked out in some way.

That said, the club itself still skews towards males, but there are plenty of enthusiastic females as well.
Mirrinus

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:32 am Reply with quote
Eh, at my college, the anime club is pretty heavily male. Only one officer is female this semester. Meh...
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:44 am Reply with quote
Rakushun wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:
Interesting,

for Highscool age fans, its pretty much equal.
But for college age, Males are more than 2x as much as females.
for older fans its about 2x as well.
it suprises me that much younger fans girls outnumber guys by about 2x

The trend:

Anime is watched by guys of all ages. Infact, guys are more likely to get into Anime as they get older.

Females on the other hand become increacingly less likeley to be into Anime as they get older.

This kinda makes sense. I can sorta see where guys would get more into Anime as they get older, where as Girls would move on and get into other things. Also, not to say its bad for Girls to like Anime, but in most people's view it would probably seem more acceptable for guys to be into it than girls, especially as you get into older age groups.

Ofcourse the problem with this poll is: It just measures how many peoplve visit ANN. This may not be the best guage of actual fans. Also its really tested a relatively low number of people.

That is one possible interpretation, ikillchicken, but there are other possibilities:

There are more older male than female anime fans because early anime available outside of Japan were targetted towards males (Gundam/Robotech and the like). Many recent licenses cater to young females, so they are catching up to young males in number.

Do older guys still get into anime? I'm in the 25+ male bracket, but I got into anime in my teens. I think we would have to ask "At what age did you get into anime?" to really find out.

Do gals get out of anime as they get older? Certainly tastes will change, but the same can be said of guys. There is also an increasing number of seinen/seijo that can cater to adult tastes without giving up anime.

I do agree that an ANN poll is not necessarily the most accurate poll. There may be some 60+-year old fans who are computer-illiterate, or female fans who don't like hanging out on anime websites. Has anyone actually tried to poll the anime-watching habits of a country as a whole? Maybe in Japan?

I wasnt claiming it was THE explanation. Yours is another valid theory. I would thnk though if that were the case, you might see a more even distribution among the ages and simply less Girls than Guys all around.

Another possible reason could be this:

The has been Anime released that appeals to older guys and younger guys. However, Anime in North America appealing to girls mostly appeals to younger girls.
ruskii

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:54 am Reply with quote
Embarassed girl anime fans are mythical beings in San Jose, California... they either dont exist or are living their lives 500 meters beneath the earths crust. The club i attend - - - all guys. sadly, i know no other way...
pagey

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 4:30 am Reply with quote
Hi everyone,
I'm new here but it's a very interesting topic for me because I am a French Master degree student and I am writing a research thesis on you guys, anime fans!
If you are interested in knowing more about anime fans, I am doing a survey and I need you guys (well American people only, sorry!) to fill it at this address:

http://www.questionpro.com/akira/TakeSurvey?id=657964

I could post the results afterwards if you are interested!
As a matter of fact, I tried to post a new topic to explain that (with the approval of a moderator of course) but I don't know why it doesn't appear on the list so far (or maybe I'm just being stupid Embarassed )

And of course it's a non profit survey!

thanks,
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:53 am Reply with quote
ruskii wrote:
Embarassed girl anime fans are mythical beings in San Jose, California...

You're kidding me...right?
Swissman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:46 am Reply with quote
Momoko_Yumi wrote:
In Germany the manga scene really began with the girls, because of "Sailor Moon". "Sailor Moon" was the first Anime Series who brought young people to Japan culture. And of course it was watched bye the girls. The boys came later when "Pokemon" and "Dragonball" hit German TV.

Yes and no, because "Sailor Moon" first brought mainly adult males to the vast field of anime and manga when it aired around 1995 on ZDF. This audience joined an already existing small scene of anime and manga fans. It was two years later that "Sailor Moon" and anime/manga hit mainstream when younger audiences discovered the series on rtl2.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Momoko_Yumi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Swissman wrote:
Momoko_Yumi wrote:
In Germany the manga scene really began with the girls, because of "Sailor Moon". "Sailor Moon" was the first Anime Series who brought young people to Japan culture. And of course it was watched bye the girls. The boys came later when "Pokemon" and "Dragonball" hit German TV.

Yes and no, because "Sailor Moon" first brought mainly adult males to the vast field of anime and manga when it aired around 1995 on ZDF. This audience joined an already existing small scene of anime and manga fans. It was two years later that "Sailor Moon" and anime/manga hit mainstream when younger audiences discovered the series on rtl2.

Yes, it was RTL2 who made Animes big in Germany. All the famous animes like "Sailor Moon", "Wedding Peach", "Pokemon", "Yu-Ghi-Oh", "Digimon", "Dragonball" or else where radiated (I hope the word is right) bye RTL2.
ShadrachAnki

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 6:08 pm Reply with quote
If I had to make a guess, I'd say that the overall guy/girl ratio among anime fans is pretty close to 50/50. Of course, it will vary based on location and age group, but overall it's going to be fairly equal.

Though I've always heard that there are more guys who are interested in anime (or manga, video games, roleplaying, geek interest of choice), my reality is that I know more girls like that than guys. Of course, these same girls are by and large not participants in forums or online polls, so they often don't show up on the vocal fan radar.

*shrugs* I try not to worry about it too much, and I'm always pleasantly surprised when I find guys or girls who share my interests (anime or otherwise). It makes life a whole lot more fun that way.

~Shadrach Anki
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
xslainx

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Just like the women to lose interest in things really quick Razz
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:33 pm Reply with quote
xslainx wrote:
Just like the women to lose interest in things really quick Razz

We only lose interest in the little things.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4