• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fuyumi Ono, Author of The Twelve Kingdoms

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Wow that was a really cool interview, I am glad to hear that Fuyumi plans to come to the novels eventually. But then again that could be like Clamp saying that there going to finish X sometime in the near future. I hope that it's true, since I am really into this amazing world that she's created. I can't wait until my novel show up sometime this week, and also I really like how the novels are printed on hardback, very nice Tokyopop.
CMB

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 1:06 pm Reply with quote
I hope the sales are there to finish the series. Smile I'm going to start the first book this weekend. Cool The interview was great back ground for these book and I plan to read them all.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Great interview, I just wish it was longer. Ms. Ono sounds like an absolutely fascenating person.

Guess I'll have to pick up that first novel after all. Kudos to Tokyopop for bringing these books out -- Kino's Journey has a prominent place on my bookshelf as well.
seichan80

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Great interview.

Gawd-awful work on the cover Tokyopop. I really hope the original cover is a color insert or something.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:29 pm Reply with quote
I think the Tokyopop cover actually uses part of the Japanese cover (like the main character) but altered the background or something. So that "god-awful" cover is actually using the original artwork, just not all of it.

I really hope the author continues the novels someday. Fortunately, us English speaking fans have a while before we need to start worrying about running out of material to read since Tokyopop will be releasing the novels on a yearly schedule. How many are there at this point?
Andrew Cunningham

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:31 pm Reply with quote
They've commissioned a new cover by the original artist.
scortia

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Great interview... glad to know this isn't it for the Twelve Kingdoms universe. I've only got 100 pages left til I finish the first novel, I can't put it down, even though a good chunk of it was the same as it was in the anime haha. Anime smile
cl4y

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:08 pm Reply with quote
I greatly enjoyed that interview. I wanted to get Sea of Shadows to begin with, but now I can't hardly wait.
seichan80

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:38 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
I think the Tokyopop cover actually uses part of the Japanese cover (like the main character) but altered the background or something. So that "god-awful" cover is actually using the original artwork, just not all of it.

http://www.amazon.co.jp/月の影-影の海〈上〉-十二国記-講談社X文庫―ホワイトハート-小野-不由美/dp/4062550717/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/503-5037465-7481502?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1174263855&sr=8-1
that's the original illustration.

Quote:
They've commissioned a new cover by the original artist.

I wasn't referring to the drawing. The coloring book photoshop job was the awful part. The same thing they've been doing to the Kino books and some other manga/manwha covers.

http://www.amazon.co.jp/キノの旅―-beautiful-world-時雨沢-恵一/dp/4840215855/ref=sr_1_3/250-5456999-8985824?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1174263978&sr=1-3
That's the original Kino no Tabi cover.
Andrew Cunningham

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:45 pm Reply with quote
I think the Kino cover turned out pretty nice, but the Twelve Kingdoms color scheme is horrible. A bad cover never stopped me from enjoying a book, though...
I wasn't addressing my early comment to you, but to the person who claimed they were using part of the original cover -- early versions of the cover using the cover to the second half of the book without the background, but it looks like Tokyopop later decided to get a new drawing.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:03 pm Reply with quote
It seems I was mistaken then. Either I misunderstood someone or they were mixed up themselves. I remember a discussion on Tokyopop's cover change (on AoD, I think) and I thought that the original one had that as well as another character in the background, but that must have been the other one Andrew mentioned. While the original one is better, IMO, I don't mind the cover they ended up using. At least this one has an actual character on it (unlike, say, Scrapped Princess).

Why did Tokypop change the cover, anyway? I think I recall reading that there was no 'clean' version of the original cover available, but I could be either remembering wrong or imagining it. I could see that maybe happening every once in a while, particularly for something that first came out 15 years ago, but it seems that Tokyopop does this for every one of their novels.

I'm not going to let altered cover art prevent me from reading, watching or otherwise enjoying something, but it is irritating and it seems that Tokyopop does it all the time for there novels (fortunately, the Sekai abridgement issues seem to be an anomaly).
Andrew Cunningham

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Just a marketing thing, apparently -- they want these books to look like novels, not manga.
All the companies are scrambling around trying to figure out how to get more people to actually buy these light novels. Hopefully someone will figure it out, since I'd like to keep my job!
Anrui Ukimi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:21 pm Reply with quote
This interview makes me happy. Very Happy

...the fact that she mentioned Zelazny's Nine Princes in Amber as an inspiration of sorts makes me deliriously so. Anime catgrin

I will be thrilled when a new JK novel comes out. THRILLED, I tell you. Smile

...yep.

~Anrui
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Steve Berry

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:03 am Reply with quote
Cover didn't bother me, personally. I rather liked it.

Funny, that that's all this thread has really focused on-- marketing and covers. What about the actual book? Has anyone finished reading it yet? I'd love some reader reviews.
Erion

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:10 am Reply with quote
Twelve Kingdoms is also published in France (April).

The French covers for the novels : http://www.manga-news.com/breve.php3?id_breve=1074

(Personal comment, in this case, it's good to be french. But we don't have the Kino no tabi novels. There's no heaven Smile )
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2