• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best World-Building Tournament: Concluded!

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:16 pm Reply with quote
i really over estimated Claymore and Little Garden. that's going to hurt for two rounds
Key

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:30 am Reply with quote
Round 1 Group B is now closed.

Results can be found here.

I'll be a little surprised if we see another round of complete blow-outs as prominent as last week. But hey, stranger things have happened in these games, so who knows? Let's find out!

I am also trying to figure out how in the heck I missing nominating the setting of The Book of Bantorra. The freaky business with how the stone books work alone deserved consideration here.

Group B-1
World of Magi, Magi
vs.
Eight City Union, Daphne in the Brilliant Blue

Group B-2
World of Chrono Crusade, Chrono Crusade
vs.
World of Kanon, Kanon

Group B-3
Mahora Academy, Negima franchise
vs.
World of Inuyasha, Inuyasha

Group B-4
World of Haruhi Suzumiya, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
vs.
Universe of the Four Gods, Fushigi Yugi

Group B-5
Afterlife, Angel Beats!
vs.
Alfheim Online, Sword Art Online Fairy Dance arc

Group B-6
Mulitverse of Fantastic Children, Fantastic Children
vs.
Kingdom of Midland, Berserk

Group B-7
Victorian England, Victorian Romance Emma
vs.
Seisha-Do Universe, Girls und Panzer

Group B-8
Setting of Blast of Tempest, Blast of Tempest
vs.
Ryvius, Infinite Ryvius

Last edited by Key on Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:06 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
rheiders

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:23 am Reply with quote
Group B-1
World of Magi, Magi
Magi has one of the best worlds I've seen in a shounen series and develops the countries it introduces well while making them distinct from each other and promising many other unique nations besides. The Arabian influence is very unique and allows for a lot of interesting scenarios that wouldn't be possible in a more generic setting.

Group B-2
Neither of these seems all that great, but this one seems to put more emphasis on world-building.

Group B-3

Group B-4
I think by far the best world-building in FY comes from the prequel manga Genbu Kaiden. Reading that series only caused me to realize just how deeply flawed the original was, and I think that although the concept of the world is interesting, the quality of the world-building is one of the things that doesn't stack up that well. I think the premise of Haruhi's world is less interesting, but its development is more complex and consistent.

Group B-5
Afterlife, Angel Beats!
Have to go with the one I know since I never got that far in SAO.

Group B-6

Group B-7

Group B-8
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:33 am Reply with quote
Wow, there are some tricky ones here.

Group B-1

Haven't seen either yet but both worlds sound really interesting. It's a shame only one can move on but this one sounds like it has just a little more going for it.

(this same reasoning is at play for most of the match-ups, since I'm only familiar with a couple of the titles here).

Group B-2

Group B-3

Group B-4

Going with Fushigi Yugi because 1, I nominated the series and 2, I think it has more going for it as far as setting, since if the audience views the world as just as school club, as the guide states, then I don't know that it's the interesting.

Group B-5

Group B-6
Multiverse of Fantastic Children, Fantastic Children

While I'm not a huge fan of this show (I liked it but didn't love it), the world is pretty incredible and sounds like it has a bit more creativity than Berserk.

Group B-7

Group B-8
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Group B-1
World of Magi, Magi

Group B-2

Group B-3

Group B-4

Group B-5
Afterlife, Angel Beats!
vs.

A bit torn here, as I really liked both worlds, but ultimately, the SAO's gets an upper hand. Angel Beat's world was a bit confusing, I get the premises of it being sort of like a purgatory although not quite, but it was a bit hazy for me and underdeveloped. SAO was sort of a universe that makes it easier for the characters to be a part of: it's engaging, interactive, with clear rules.

Group B-6

Group B-7

Group B-8
One-Eye

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:22 am Reply with quote
Group B-1
World of Magi, Magi
vs.
Voting for World of Magi, Magi. I've seen all of Daphne in the Brilliant Blue and I've read or seen plenty of stories of continents submerged due to rising water. So it didn't blow me away on that end. Also for me the world building only became interesting in the final episodes. I've only seen a few episodes of Magi and while it didn't do enough to hold my attention it seems based on the description that the world building may be more detailed than Daphne.

Group B-2
vs.
World of Kanon, Kanon
Voting for World of Chrono Crusade, Chrono Crusade. I've seen neither one of these but I think I will take the 1920's flavored battles versus demons over what sounds like a slice of life drama with some supernatural elements.

Group B-3
vs.
Voting for World of Inuyasha, Inuyasha. I've seen most of Inuyasha back in the day and I haven't seen anything of Negima. The description of Negima didn't really grab me, so I'm going with the show I know.

Group B-4
vs.
Voting for World of Haruhi Suzumiya, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

Group B-5
Afterlife, Angel Beats!
vs.
Voting for Afterlife, Angel Beats!.

Group B-6
vs.
Voting for Kingdom of Midland, Berserk. Berserk has quite a bit of detail to its setting: A hundred year war, disease scouring the land, poverty, political intrigue, and supernatural artifacts is part of the backdrop to the Greek tragedy that is the story.

The Field (The place where the eclipse occurs)

Group B-7
vs.
Voting for Victorian England, Victorian Romance Emma. I have not seen either one of these, but I am familiar Kaoru Mori's highly detailed art and own several volumes of A Bride's Story. If the anime captures some of that detail of setting in her works then I will take it over an anime that has girls participating in the sport of Tanks.

Group B-8
vs.
Ryvius, Infinite Ryvius
Voting for Setting of Blast of Tempest, Blast of Tempest

Last edited by One-Eye on Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Key

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:34 am Reply with quote
Group B-1
World of Magi, Magi
vs.

I will fully agree that Daphne is an odd duck in that the greatest strength of the world-building in the series - the exploration of what really happened with Elpida - was in the final few episodes rather than the first. However, I still find Eight City Union a worthy choice to advance because that aspect of the world-building is compelling (regardless of what you may think of the trashy nature of most of the series) and because of how much effort the setting goes into making itself architecturally, technologically, and stylistically distinct, and a setting based on once-domed-and-submerged cities is, I believe, unique in anime. Admittedly I haven't seen much of Magi, but what I have seen didn't lead me to believe that it was dramatically different from any other fantasy version of Arabia.

Group B-2
vs.
World of Kanon, Kanon

Tough choice because I wouldn't put either of these ahead of anyone else in 1B except possibly MoHS. World of CC gets the nod because I don't consider there to be any real world-building in Kanon.

Group B-3
vs.

World of Inuyasha is a richer and more involved setting, and the whole "10 year old as a teacher" thing bugs me. Cannot tolerate a setting which actually allows that.

Group B-4
vs.

Never saw more than an episode or so of FY, but MoHS is more an interesting world than a good example of world-building so Universe of the Four Gods it is.

Group B-5
Afterlife, Angel Beats!
vs.

Saved this one for last, as this was by far the hardest pick for me. I think both are worthy of advancing, as they each develop interesting worlds; ALO defines a really cool RPG setting, while AB takes what looks like an ordinary school setting and makes it special by developing the mechanics behind it. Since I have to make a choice I will go with Afterlife because the mechanics behind its world-building are more intrinsic to the story than ALO is for SAO, but I won't be disappointed either way.

Group B-6
vs.

The concepts behind what's going on in Fantastic Children are utterly fascinating, and I highly recommend the series in subbed form; it also has possibly the single best omake I've ever seen on a series, but unfortunately also one of the worst English dubs I've ever heard. However, for all its neat concepts, I don't think it does a particularly outstanding job of world-building. Hence I'm going with Kingdom of Midland, even though I'm not familiar with the Berserk franchise at all.

Group B-7
vs.

Wow, a lot of series in this set that I haven't seen. Total toss-up here for me; I will go for Sensha-do Universe for the moment, based on the strength of pulling off a concept about tank-driving being a womanly thing to do.

Group B-8
vs.
Ryvius, Infinite Ryvius

Have seen both. While BoT has some interesting elements to its set-up and the way magic works, Ryvius was not only the setting for its story but also was the story. Although the concept is hardly original, here an entire culture was effectively being build, and that's a bit more involved than what BoT attempted.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:42 am Reply with quote
Group B-1
World of Magi, Magi
vs.

World of Magi over Daphne in the Brilliant Blue. Arabian nights like Arabian days over "Hey bet you didn't see this plot twist coming a mile away..."

Group B-2
vs.
World of Kanon, Kanon

world of Kanon over Chrono Chrusade. Yeah, if the demons in your world overpower the good guys, angels and God apparently, you got balance issues. Kanon takes the isolation of a town/city in Hokkaido in the middle of winter and places its cold and desolate emotional setting squarely in the people living there. Or its a urban fairy tale about people who aren't quite what they seem. Or it's about a guy who's able to materialize his inner depression into a small girl with a winged backpack {I don't know everyone gets this one wrong. It's spelled out in the last episode.}. Actually, it's all of these and more, if you take the time to think about it. It's subtle but the way it's open to personal interpretation {and the fact that the anime's intentionally written that way} puts it in the lead for me.

Group B-3
vs.

Mahora Academy over World of Inuyasha. Inuyasha's not a fantasy equivalent of feudal Japan, it's the fantasy equivalent of feudal Japan's backyard; Not too woodsy but you know, green. Also, the travel between times/genres is a bit, you know, wonky. From the religion to the creatures to the magic, everything's, you know, implied to be already known and a given; Saves time in the creative process. Library Island is actually a place made from imagination for imagination.

Group B-4
vs.

World of Haruhi Suzumiya over the Universe of the Four Gods. Monotheism beats polytheism; possible metafiction beats absolute metafiction. The many ways of reading Suzumiya's plot out of its characters in story placement {and especially how they got to be there. Yes, Kyon says "They" don't exist at the start of the story. Think about it...} is one of the things I love about the creative process but a guy from a novel made real is just too literal for words.

Group B-5
Afterlife, Angel Beats!
vs.

Alfheim Online over Angel Beats. High school life is purgatory; I did not know that. Also, "npcs" in a non "npc" setting and usage.

Group B-6
vs.

Multiverse of Fantastic Children over Kingdom of Midland. Historical settings and people used to further a plot rather than just to show off what you've studied. Also, it's a very disturbing sort of time travel science fiction, very well imagined. Almost horrific, no, certainly horrific.

Group B-7
vs.

Sensha-do Universe over Victorian England. You could probably take a tank with an elephant but you'd have to use the element of surprise. Also, an elephant in the residential section of London in a romantic drama? Didn't see that one coming. {historical setting blues}

Group B-8
vs.
Ryvius, Infinite Ryvius

Saw neither but could watch them, I suppose. Setting of Blast of Tempest over Ryvius. Hey, I heard Ryvius's like "Lord of the Flies" set in space but it's not "Lord of the Flies' set in space. I haven't seen "Blast of Tempest" because, well, "aniplex" but Shakespearean allusions used as flourishes rather than as an excuse for the plot and setting? Even the title, a "Blast of Tempest", amuses me after learning that. I'd love to watch it, except, you know, "aniplex"...
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Minigame results.

Sorry these are up late, yesterday was a busy day for me.

We had one perfect score this week, and another three players were off by only 1 guess, but overall this is starting off as a weak first round. The CLAMP vs Slayers match up split a lot of expected picks, but the Paradigm City vs Tsuritama and Amberground vs Arslan match ups threw off a lot of people, as well, although in all cases the majority pick ended up as the winner.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:17 pm Reply with quote
MS Excel throws up a dialog box stating that "file format is not valid". On the other hand it opened up in NeoOffice just fine.

Hmm...wont be doing well this mini-game. Group A had many shows I hadn't seen in years. Big O, Macross, Slayers probably haven't seen those in 10 or more years. Memory was really fuzzy on many of those and Group B has like 9 shows I've never seen. But then again that helps keep these tourneys interesting. Wink
Tris8

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:08 pm Reply with quote
^ I have run into a similar issue (it tells me it is incompatible), and when opening it anyway I get a bunch of jumbled symbols.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Same here for Excel but LibreOffice opened just fine.

So basically avoid Microsoft! Razz
Furudanuki

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Group B-1

Group B-2
This was painful since I'm one of the more ardent kagikko you'll find on this board, but Kanon is about the characters - the world exists to provide atmosphere.

Group B-3
If we were talking about the manga then I'd be voting the other way.

Group B-4

Group B-5
Afterlife, Angel Beats!
I never made it to the Alfheim portion of SAO.

Group B-6

Group B-7

Group B-8
Ryvius, Infinite Ryvius
Beltane70

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:02 am Reply with quote
I'm glad to see that I'm starting the minigame with a score that's somewhere near the middle instead of at the bottom!
Tris8

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Group B-1
World of Magi, Magi
vs.
Magi

Group B-2
vs.
World of Kanon, Kanon
Chrono Crusade

Group B-3
vs.
World of Inuyasha. I have seen both and Inuyasha's feudal japan is more interesting. The interactions between humans and yokai, and how half-demons are treated by both societies is interesting and well thought-out.

Group B-4
vs.
Universe of the Four Gods

Group B-5
Afterlife, Angel Beats!
vs.
Seen both and going with Alfheim Online. Angel Beats' setting is an interesting interpretation on the afterlife but when it comes down to it, it isn't that different from a normal school. Alfheim Online is beautiful and detailed. It is a shame its world was not as fleshed out as it could have been but that is not reason to ignore what it did accomplish.

We learn about the 7 races of faerie and their alliances, the World Tree, the method behind flying, and strengths and weaknesses of many of the races of faerie. Add to this the legend of Alfheim of a way to obtain unlimited flight-powers and you have a very realized, fascinating world.

Group B-6
vs.
Kingdom of Midland

Group B-7
vs.
Victorian England

Group B-8
vs.
Ryvius, Infinite Ryvius
Blast of Tempest
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 34