• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Results of 6th Annual Tokyo Anime Awards Announced

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Wait, I'm a li'l confused. So certain anime tied in certain categories?
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:36 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

So am I because if I am reading this correctly the best tv award was for the following three series: Code Geass, MoHS, and Death Note. That's sort of weird....and the oscar goes to The Departed, Letters from Iwo Jima, and Babel.

I am glad to see Paprika was on there and with Toki wo Kakeru Shojo winning so many awards I am really pumped to see this movie on the 31.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:40 pm Reply with quote
It certainly looks like The Girl Who Leapt Through Time is a title to see. It kicked anime butt!

And congrats to Code Geass. Looking forward to seeing that one.

And last, but not least, congrats to Cars! I just saw this not too long ago. It really was a good movie. Good storyline as well. Paul Newman as The Hudson Hawk was terrific!
Jariten
Company Representative

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Only certain categories are limited to having one winner, so each year there are multiple winners in some categories. I'm not sure why they do this; possibly a promotional tactic?
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
GATSU wrote:

So am I because if I am reading this correctly the best tv award was for the following three series: Code Geass, MoHS, and Death Note. That's sort of weird....and the oscar goes to The Departed, Letters from Iwo Jima, and Babel.

I am glad to see Paprika was on there and with Toki wo Kakeru Shojo winning so many awards I am really pumped to see this movie on the 31.

That happens often with these awards, where multiple series can win for a category (it usually reaches only as high as three). No surprises at all, which is a good thing in this case. The tri-winners of the TV award and Tokikake sweeping were virtual givens. Aya Hirano winning the best acting honor was well deserved, considering how well she did in her role in both acting and singing. Though in honesty, it would have been nice if they conducted the voting after the season ended.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
icepick314

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:25 pm Reply with quote
i can't wait to see The Girl Who Leapt Through Time on DVD when it comes out...preordered at CDJapan because it's so hard to navigate through Amazon Japan...

also preordered US release The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya...saw first 4 episodes on fansub a year ago and just absolutely loved the unusual plotline and the characters....saw the previews of the dubbing and Bandai just nailed the voices...lucky for US to get extra DVDs with TV broadcast order as well as R2 DVD release order....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
mike_s_6

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:41 am Reply with quote
Anyone who knows where we could view past winners?
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:07 am Reply with quote
Sam Murai wrote:
Though in honesty, it would have been nice if they conducted the voting after the season ended.

Hehe...Sam...Murai, I love that name, wait so the awards are given based on fan voting? Or is this like our academy awards/golden globes where it's members of the press?

mike_s_6 wrote:
Anyone who knows where we could view past winners?

Yeah I agree, I wouldn't mind seeing the past 6 years results. It would be interesting to see what shows won awards in Japan and went on be successful here in America.
Ask John
Company Representative

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:35 am Reply with quote
My Japanese isn't very good, so my search ability is limited.

2006 winners

2005 winners
kazenoyume

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:44 am Reply with quote
I follow both Code Geass and Death Note, but I think it's too early in the run to award either of them. Personally Code Geass is a lot of fun to watch, but it's not great perse. It's kind of like an action movie. It has a lot of big plotholes and sloppy character development, but it's just plain fun to watch so you don't care. With that in mind though, it certainly doesn't deserve the equivalent of an anime academy award.

Congrats to Cars though, head and shoulders above any other animation released in the U.S. this year. I'm glad to see that TAA has more sense than the Academy over here. Ugh.
technokiddo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:50 am Reply with quote
Congrats to The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya on winning the award.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:16 am Reply with quote
ANN's breakdown of the 2006 winners can be found here.

2005 winners, in English, can be found here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jedi General

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:17 am Reply with quote
Oh wow, Death Note, TMoHS and Code Geass all won. That's awesome. Those series deserve it, and congrats to Aya Hirano for winning an award for her brilliant performance as Haruhi.

Seeing has how The Girl who Lept Through Time won, so many awards, and it got a great review here in ANN, I am very eager to see that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1