• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Noein DVD 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:11 am Reply with quote
I'm glad to see the high praise that this excellent DVD deserves. This series and Ergo Proxy are proof that slick looking well written SF is still going strong. I personally love the over the top score for this series, and really can't find any flaws in this series. Isn't the voice actor for Haruka a girl named Haruka? I remember laughing at the fact during the extra whenever Mr. Akane would call her Haruka. Why are there so many Haruka's in currently running series. There is also one in Tactics, Rumbling Hearts, and My-Hime for starters. As mentioned elsewhere it is too bad that Manga didn't include a slipcover, since it has become a nice trend that both Manga and Funimation have adopted. I hope Karas two has a slipcase.
Cowboy Cadenza

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:12 am Reply with quote
I quite disagree with the comments about Noein's music; I thought the music was pretty top-notch. Not absolutely amazing, like stuff that Yoko Kanno does, but you know...

Also, my complaint about the English dub is the inconsistency in the pronounciation of names, specifically Haruka's. Many of the characters call her HaROOka, which is pretty damn wrong. The emphasis is supposed to HAruka. It seems to me that Crispin Freeman understands this, but none of the other VAs do, especially the one playing younger Ai. Oh well.
Whearn9999

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:59 am Reply with quote
After watching this volume, it is clear to me that this is going to be one of my favorite releases of 2007.

I know the story isn't completely original, but it somehow feels that way to me. It kinda breaks the mold. It doesn't seem to follow the same old formulas that are seen over and over again.

Volume 3 can't come fast enough Anime cry
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:38 pm Reply with quote
The fact that most of the characters stress Haruka's name wrong (whatever you consider to be wrong) isn't a huge deal to me.

I'll eventually watch this volume...... Just give me time.....
Askman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:59 am Reply with quote
I love this series; I picked up the first DVD the day it came out on a whim. Very Happy

The dub is really good besides the inconsistency with the names. Freeman does a great job as Karasu, but I really like Eddie Frierson as Atori. I personally think he does a stellar job in the fight scenes when he's yelling and going crazy. He loses a bit in the calmer scenes, but he still does a really good job.

I can't wait for volume 3 Smile
murph76

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:34 pm Reply with quote
I'm still irked about the lack of a slipcase with vol. 2. Maybe Manga will make up for it by including an artbox with the last disc. (though, I'm not holding my breath)

I'm really enjoying this show. It's fast becoming one of my favorites this year, too. Though, having to wait 3 months between releases is taxing my patience. Very Happy

-Murph
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Aw, but I really liked the OP and ED. The gentle styles of both lend very well with the show, as does the bold score, which gives it that sort of epic atmosphere. Noein was one of last year's the best shows, so I'm glad to have seen it out so soon in North America. It also happened to be one of those shows were you could tell it would have a great dub if cast right. Most of the casting fell along the lines of people I thought would fit well in their roles, such as Haruka's VA, though it is disappointing (telling by the audio clips on CrystalAcids.com) to hear such disparities in the pronunciations of the Japanese names and some of the terms (i.e. "har-ROO-ka", instead of "har-RU-ka"). I just hope that Manga decides to tack on an artbox similar to the Japanese release with one of their future volumes (though that doesn't look likely).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
scortia

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:47 pm Reply with quote
I love the review... for the most part. BUT *gasp* how is the OP "Idea" anything but brilliant!? Hell, it's my ringtone I like it that much. That soft serene deep beginning that breaks out into an energetic beat as the animation whirls around to cast off the sadness and quantum snow for summer youth and happiness.... Rawr. And I ADORE the music in this series. Same director as Escaflowne had, so 'epic' sounding music is not a huge shock... what I love is that that music balances so well with the serene music used for the daily life of the kids in the series. Karasu and Yuu's themes can depress you, Shangrila can pump you up, and Haruka and Ai's themes give you a squishy feeling... the music does its job exceptionally!
murph76

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Correct me if I'm wrong, Key, but the review didn't say the music was bad, just annoying in some scenes. (If I may paraphrase.) And I can agree with that to a point. If the music is so strong it pulls you out of the moment, it can be a distraction. Fortunately, I don't think it happens very often in Noein.

The negative comments about the music and the computer graphics to 2D animation pairing struck me as minor dings on a wholly positive review.

And I love the music, too. I recently purchased the Noein OSTs off CD Japan. They are very, very good. Just a hint to anyone considering buying them, the tv-size versions of the OP and ED are on OST 2 Very Happy

-Murph
halochief_90

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:35 am Reply with quote
As one of the bigger defenders of volume 1’s plot, it hurts me to say that this volume was actually more of a step down for me. Save episode 6, I thought this volume tended to go over the same plot points too much, and sometimes even got annoying that way (how many times does Karasu have to tell Yu that he is Yu for him to get it?!). Granted, I didn’t feel very confused over a lot in volume 1. The music is starting to let me down, but actually I like the opening and ending quite a lot (it sounds well above average if running them through good speakers).

I personally hope volume 3 will move the pace up a bit, and delve more into the mystery.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1