• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RightStuf / Lucky Penny / Nozomi Ent. Solicitations Thread

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 5:24 am Reply with quote
Well, I take back what I said. I was expecting a tidal wave of "no BD, no sale" type comments in the Talkback thread dealing with the Gundam UC announcement, but that has not been the case. Not only that, but a number of posters even acknowledged that if any of the older, unreleased Gundam titles were ever released over here, they would be sub only - and they were okay with that!

Maybe Gundam fans are more reasonable than general anime fans???
st_owly

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 5:41 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Maybe Gundam fans are more reasonable than general anime fans???

The evidence so far supports this hypothesis. Perhaps they are also more realistic about what's doable.
WTK

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 6:53 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I was expecting a tidal wave of "no BD, no sale" type comments in the Talkback thread dealing with the Gundam UC announcement, but that has not been the case.

With the exception that Sunrise has been releasing North American Blu-ray version. They are also the ones that paid for the English dub. It has been like that even since BEI has been around.

This distribution announcement yesterday was about Sunrise releasing the DVD parts and RightStuf distributing it in North America. RightStuf pretty much has been doing the same for the BDs after BEI left. BEI was the distributor for the BD and now TRSI has been constantly able to replenish the BD inventory. So basically (unlike BEI in the past) RightStuf doesn't have the full DVD home video rights for Gundam Unicorn.
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 6:55 am Reply with quote
I'd like to think that Gundam fans are happy with whatever they can get. Gundam's still popular in Japan, but sadly enough it's a pretty niche corner of the market outside of Japan.
WTK

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 7:06 am Reply with quote
Ortensia1980 wrote:
Gundam's still popular in Japan, but sadly enough it's a pretty niche corner of the market outside of Japan.

I guess it depends on your definition of niche. Gundam properties continue to get released in Taiwan (Gundam Age has been released on DVD in 3 parts, not just UC). Italy has been to release a couple Gundam movies on Blu-ray and their first press domestic UC BD releases include sleeve/slip and booklet.
potatochobit

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 3:28 pm Reply with quote
During World War II Japan had planned to use taiwan as a new settlement colony so they have a close relationship and were not treated unjustly as with other asian countries. I would not use them as a rule of thumb.

I would not say gundam is niche but it is unpopular and falling even moreso day by day in america, at least. I think the same thing is happening with macross, it is basically fading out of existence since they refused to bring out macross F over here. There are many loyal macross fans but most of them are old timers, and they are not getting any younger. people like giant robots - but they are not really picky about what brand of giant robots they are getting.

I think people do not care about the BD version because they can just buy the japanese singles as they have been doing. Since the DVD version are much cheaper that probably pleases those who felt left out prior.
WTK

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Aria The Animation: Season 1 Collection (Litebox) - 325 minutes - $39.99 - 10/1/13
Quote:
Contains all 13 episodes of season one!

Special Features: Apprentice Undines Interview Parts 1-2, Primas Interview Parts 1-2, SatoJun's "Venice. I'm Sorry!" Parts 1-4, 30-second & 15-second Commercials, US Season 1 Trailer, Clean Endings 1-2, Season 2 Preview, Trailers.
WTK

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Ninja Nonsense: Complete Collection (Litebox) - 320 minutes - $39.99 - 11/5/13
Quote:
DVD Features: Character Bios, Japanese Cast Interviews, TV spots 1-18, Textless Openings and Closing, "Kurukururin" (Closing) Full-Size Video, Original U.S. Trailer, Previews.

Spoken Languages: English, Japanese, English subtitles
WTK

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Aria the Natural: Season 2 Collection, Part 1 (LiteBox) - 325 minutes - $39.99 - 1/7/14
Quote:
Contains episodes 1-13.

Special Features: Promotional Video, Interview with Director Junichi Sato, Interview with Yui Makino, Aria and the World of Sound, Cast Reflections on Aria The Animation, Clean Ending 1, Trailers.
WTK

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Blessing of the Campanella: Complete Collection - 300 minutes - $49.99 - 2/4/14
Quote:
Contains episodes 1-12, plus the 30-minute OVA.

Special Features: Clean Opening and Closing, Promotional Videos, U.S. Trailer, Commercials, Bathtime Specials, Trailers.

Antique Bakery: Complete Collection (Litebox) - 300 minutes - $39.99 - 2/4/14
Quote:
Contains episodes 1-12.

Special Features: Clean Opening and Closing, Interview with Tomomi Kasai, Live Event Coverage, U.S. Trailer, Trailers.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:09 pm Reply with quote
God help me, but I kinda think that maybe sorta I'm gonna be getting Campanella.

DON'T JUDGE ME! I AM A YUMAN BEAN!!!
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Just because I already have the manga for Antique Bakery and therefore don't truly need the anime doesn't mean that I don't need the anime after all. I'd need the version with a Fumi Yoshinaga interview though, so I should jump on that now methinks.

Also, I should mention that I practically worship Fumi Yoshinaga's works, equal only to my Osamu Tezuka worship. At Vertical's Otakon panel, I just about had a heart attack of joy at the announcement of What Did You Eat Yesterday?, so, yeah, it might be worth it for me to get it (I also saw the first two eps free on youtube courtesy of Nozomi, and wanted more).
potatochobit

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:51 pm Reply with quote
hmm, i thought funimation had the rights to Blessing of the Campanella .
anyway, I was considering to pick this up but I have a policy not to buy down-scaled anime without a good reason so this will have to be a pass. Such a shame.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:35 am Reply with quote
@potatochobit - Funimation originally had the streaming rights for Blessing but presumably the metrics they got from that indicated that it wouldn't be worth dubbing and releasing (this was in the days before their new experiment with releasing sub-only material a la OniAi). So Nozomi ended up the the home release rights.
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:45 am Reply with quote
Can someone explain to me what RS' "litebox" is? I own the original Aria series and I assumed the packaging was litebox as it was.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 19