• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
PR: Anime Network to premiere First-ever American Anime Awards

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Asako

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Argh! I wish I could watch this!!! Congrats people!!! Smile
KAtchan15

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Yeah me too. I mean. ANN has already announced the winners for the American Anime Awards. I remember it from a while back, Full Metal Alchemist got a lot of awards. Still, I want to see that event.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:57 pm Reply with quote
KAtchan15 wrote:
Yeah me too. I mean. ANN has already announced the winners for the American Anime Awards. I remember it from a while back, Full Metal Alchemist got a lot of awards. Still, I want to see that event.

Yeah the awards were handed out back at the New York Comic Con, but now if ya didn't see the live feed from IGN, then you can see it on TAN. Also I heard that Anime statues were made by the same people who make the Oscars.....they were quite sharp so I would agree.
KAtchan15

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
Yeah the awards were handed out back at the New York Comic Con, but now if ya didn't see the live feed from IGN, then you can see it on TAN. Also I heard that Anime statues were made by the same people who make the Oscars.....they were quite sharp so I would agree.

Thanks. And wow I haven't seen the statues, but judging from what you said, they must be really neat. Very Happy
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:24 am Reply with quote
Nice, an event ten people want to watch, on a channel that only ten people watch.

Good goin' Wink
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:56 am Reply with quote
I seem to remember these being sham awards for a poorly-constructed, unbalanced, anachronistic ballot that catered to the rabid popular anime fanboys and girls.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
10円

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:44 am Reply with quote
Asako wrote:
Argh! I wish I could watch this!!! Congrats people!!! Smile

Still trying to figure out who was in the shiny dress in the front row, eh? Wink
DarkCntry

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:37 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I seem to remember these being sham awards for a poorly-constructed, unbalanced, anachronistic ballot that catered to the rabid popular anime fanboys and girls.

As opposed to any other awards show in the history of entertainment awards shows?
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:48 am Reply with quote
DarkCntry wrote:

As opposed to any other awards show in the history of entertainment awards shows?

There are plenty of award shows that actually rely on the opinions of educated industry representatives in said entertainment category and isn't simply things elected by and voted by insane internet/dickhead teenagers.

Study more.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:28 pm Reply with quote
DarkCntry wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

Yup, pretty much as Steven said. The Academy awards and such rely on members of a panel, if you walk out on the street and did polling chances are you'd end up with the years blockbusters because obviously what most people saw is what would get the most votes. You put the votes up to people who actually saw everything they were voting on and are educated members of that profession you end up with a more credible award.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DarkCntry

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:17 am Reply with quote
I'm not saying there isn't a panel of 'experts' and 'peers' doing the nominations and what-not...however, that doesn't exclude them from the 'fanboy' effect, in the world of the Oscars, it's how much 'incentive' you put into getting votes.

Just because fans got to vote on their favorite shows doesn't make it any less of a valid awards show. It's all the same between one another and it doesn't matter what award it is or how it is nominated/voted upon.

So, while you tell me to "study more", might I suggest understanding a bit of the way the Oscars, Golden Globes, etc etc etc etc actually function and then making the evaluated opinion that I have of all awards shows.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:18 pm Reply with quote
DarkCntry wrote:
I'm not saying there isn't a panel of 'experts' and 'peers' doing the nominations and what-not...however, that doesn't exclude them from the 'fanboy' effect, in the world of the Oscars, it's how much 'incentive' you put into getting votes.

One would assume/hope/know that those doing the nominations would be picked for the reason that they actually know what they're thinking about. Yes, someone might be a fanboy of something, but that doesn't mean their enthusiasm isn't merited because they actually have the qualifications to discern between the wheat and the chaff. Mass online polling and voting by anonymous internet nerds does not know this, and when Advetn Children, which from the getgo is incomprehensible, badly animated fanboy wankfest schlock (I mean hell, the opening titles in the movie basically say- FOR FF7 ONLY! LOVERS OF LOGIC BEWARE) wins over Akira, in an ill defined awards show that cannot follow it's own boundries (why was Akira there? Why put that in Comedy even if Bosch did other comedies, maybe? It doesn't make any real sense) then the award is more or less bunk, because it's obvious that it's not awarding talent for talents sake, but rather internet rushed popularity.

Quote:
Just because fans got to vote on their favorite shows doesn't make it any less of a valid awards show. It's all the same between one another and it doesn't matter what award it is or how it is nominated/voted upon.

No, it does make it less valid, because it's open to lots and lots of abuse. Then again, the awards are badly organised and vague so they, in their entirety, do not count for jack squat.

Quote:
So, while you tell me to "study more", might I suggest understanding a bit of the way the Oscars, Golden Globes, etc etc etc etc actually function and then making the evaluated opinion that I have of all awards shows.

Already did that. As I said, award shows that are judged by a panel of industry peers and experts are gold over lead as far as mass online fan voting is concerned because people, as per with Advent Children or Transformers the Movie or whatever else will like incredible shit on the basis of something else (toys, games, etc) and so it will automatically get that vote because these people have deluded themselves in to actually thinking these things have merits outside of OMG CLOUD ULTRA MAGNUS FAPFAP

It's not an awards show. It's a popularity contest, pure and simple. As someone said, who i can't remember exactly, there was a people's choice award in response to the Oscars or whatever else, and they chose Pirates of the Carribean 2 as Best Drama.

Honestly.
DarkCntry

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:57 pm Reply with quote
I take it you missed the whole incentive part of my reply...the fact remains, it's not the quality of the movie, or basically anything having to do directly with the movie, that wins awards at the Oscars, it's the incentive push from the studios to the 'panel'. Might I also suggest that said panel for the Oscars are made up of studio execs and other 'industry insiders' and that it makes it just as easily worthless as any fan-oriented awards?

When it comes down to it, again, this award show is no different than any other in terms of how things are nominated and how things win.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1