• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
A Lull in the Sea (Nagi no Asukara) (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Whoa I was surprised the drama has already started considering this is a 2 cour anime. I hope it turns out well for spoiler[Akari. By the looks of the dad, it seems like he was more disappointed than angry, so he might support her.]
ZorgonXtreme

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Hikari is an asshole. He moves too slow on the girl he obviously likes and gets so jealous over her liking a guy that's not a dickbag.

Aside from that, things are...rocky all around. I didn't expect spoiler[Akari to be caught] so soon. I figured that would be a thing near the end of the first season, at least.

So...Tsumugu had a vision of naked Manaka swimming while he slept, which was I guess his first wet dream.

Thank you! You've been a great audience!
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Hikari's aggression towards the surface has already been answered in this episode. spoiler[He obviously felt abandoned by one or more of the villagers who had never returned to the sea vaillage. Had Hikari known about the banishment rule for those who have relations with the surface people then he probably wouldn't be so angry at the surface itself (and rather moreso angry at the sea village for its rules).] If you think he's still an 'asshole' then you obviously missed that somehow.

That said, Manaka was so adorable when she kept trying spoiler[to get Uroko-sama to curse her once again, since she thinks that is her only bond with Tsumugu]. And I'm rooting for Chisaki and Kaname as well.
phia_one

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Hikari doesn't seem so annoying when Manaka isn't involved.

This episode got me wondering, are the sea people slowly dying out? The school that Hikari and Co. originally went to shut down, but I don't recall the show ever actually saying why. That, and the fact that we don't see any younger sea children or other ones the same age as our four characters. But then again, maybe I missed something.

ZorgonXtreme wrote:
So...Tsumugu had a vision of naked Manaka swimming while he slept, which was I guess his first wet dream.

I thought that was Hikari dreaming that?
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:20 pm Reply with quote
I have a hard time thinking of things to write about this anime, other than to say I find I am fully charmed by it somehow. Normally I would be put off by the logic gaps but now it just doesn't seem to matter as long as I can look at the beautiful settings. The shot of the boat over the village from over the water was just fantastic.

phia_one wrote:
Hikari doesn't seem so annoying when Manaka isn't involved.

I suspect Hikari will come around before too long. What I do found odd is he and his peers had no idea about the prohibition. They would be more than old enough to know this, particularly if they were being sent to the surface.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:18 am Reply with quote
ZorgonXtreme wrote:
Hikari is an asshole. He moves too slow on the girl he obviously likes and gets so jealous over her liking a guy that's not a dickbag.

He protected the girl for years, he himself possibly does not realize that he is in love with her. He is afraid that the guy will make her abandon him by not coming back to the ocean like what had happened with other people. Although now he found that spoiler[the village banishes them and is also at risk of losing his sister]. It is not hard to see how he would have a dislike of the surface from the stigma alone.

Episode 2

Why do I get the strange feeling this anime will end with someone turning into sea foam?
One-Eye

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:21 am Reply with quote
Like I said in my first post I'm really enjoying this show so far. I was worried that Manaka would maintain her victim personality for like half the show, but she is starting to show some initiative and individuality already in the second episode. Meanwhile Hikari is going from bully to a kid who is struggling with understanding his own emotions.

phia_one wrote:
This episode got me wondering, are the sea people slowly dying out? The school that Hikari and Co. originally went to shut down, but I don't recall the show ever actually saying why. That, and the fact that we don't see any younger sea children or other ones the same age as our four characters. But then again, maybe I missed something.
I think that's a very interesting possibility, I didn't think of that. They also maybe setting up the old traditionalists way of thinking versus the young as one of the conflicts. Again they seem to be setting up quite a few themes in just 2 episodes. The old vs the young, the sea vs the land, transfer students vs the regular students, romance conflicts, etc. Quite a bit of stuff in 2 episodes and I think handled fairly smoothly.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:52 am Reply with quote
Manaka kept reminding me of Menma for some reason and then I realized it's the short bangs. Anime hyper
Oh, Manaka, dear, Tsumugu will still like you even spoiler[without a fish in your knee.] Anime hyper I really like irony....so I like that she used to be dependent on the other kids as a toddler but now she's trying to walk on her own towards something new and unfamiliar but desirable to her. She's timid about it but she can't help herself.

Now I was going to rant about how if Hikari really cares about her, he should consider what SHE wants instead of himself but spoiler[if what Manaka wants is actually taboo in the village and may cause serious problems for her....crap, this complicates things a bit. D:]
I wouldn't be able to call him selfish for getting in her way then...
Merida

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:02 am Reply with quote
To me Hikari isn't half as annoying as Manaka. What's so attractive about a teenage girl who thinks and acts like a 5-year-old? I've never understood the appeal of that character type. spoiler[Oh, Tsumugu only likes me because of the fish on my knee, so i gotta get cursed again! And if i call him by his last name, Hikari won't be angry anymore! And if nothing else works, i'm just gonna cry again~!] Yeah, right. My eyes almost rolled out of their sockets... Rolling Eyes
ZorgonXtreme

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:37 am Reply with quote
Okay okay, I admit that Hikari does have a valid set of reasons to be emotionally hostile towards Manaka's budding relationship and I admit to being wrong about it, but still...

I still feel like he was perhaps a bit too much of an ass towards her, I think that's my real resentment towards the guy
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:51 am Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
To me Hikari isn't half as annoying as Manaka. What's so attractive about a teenage girl who thinks and acts like a 5-year-old? I've never understood the appeal of that character type. spoiler[Oh, Tsumugu only likes me because of the fish on my knee, so i gotta get cursed again! And if i call him by his last name, Hikari won't be angry anymore! And if nothing else works, i'm just gonna cry again~!] Yeah, right. My eyes almost rolled out of their sockets... Rolling Eyes

I see where you are coming from but I like her because she's nice. Her vulnerability is calculated to evoke protective feelings in people like me who are susceptible to that kind of manipulation. If you were a dude, you'd probably understand it better. Wink
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:44 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Merida wrote:

I see where you are coming from but I like her because she's nice. Her vulnerability is calculated to evoke protective feelings in people like me who are susceptible to that kind of manipulation. If you were a dude, you'd probably understand it better. Wink

I totally agree with Blood. Of course I'm not a dude but I want her as a little sister, the same way I want Mitsuki, Ai, Misuzu, and Menma as little sisters. I want to take them home, protect them, help with their love lives, and dress them up in frilly clothes like the little dolls that they are. Anime smile

And Manaka will certainly mature as the series progresses....though she won't stop being cute, that's for sure. Anime hyper I think she is a bit more mature than what haters give her credit for too. She didn't cry because Hikari yelled at her; she cried because she hurt his feelings and feels bad about it. So she tries to fix it on her own. A truly immature character (or little kid) would not show consideration like that, much less take action themselves to correct their "mistake". They would either rely on someone to fix the problem for them....or just keep crying until the other person apologized. Rolling Eyes

As for Tsumugu....it's not likely Manaka has a high opinion of herself due to Hikari bullying her, so thinking "the fish is the only reason he likes me" really isn't that difficult to understand. She's clearly had no experience with other boys taking interest in her.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi, who's Mitsuki?
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2:

Well, so I guess a spoiler[rule of the other world is revealed this episode regarding relationships. That's a damn shame honestly although I originally thought the punishment would be even worse than just exile.]

On the other hand, I sense some jealousy in this episode as well~
Decent stuff so far. I wonder what other rules there are that viewers should know later.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:16 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
Chiibi, who's Mitsuki?
I actually think Mitsuki doesn't belong in that list. She is a little girl who acts quite mature, which is why when she transforms into a 16 yo, only then does her personality seems to match her age. She's still adorable though. Btw Mitsuki is from Full Moon wo Sagashite. Watch IT!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 39