• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Emile Hirsch confirmed as live-action Speed Racer

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jedi General

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:15 am Reply with quote
Interesting. He really does look a lot like Speed. Seems like a good choice, based on that. We'll have to see if he can play the part though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:19 am Reply with quote
Well I think that Emile is a much better fit as Speed Racer then having Vince Vaugh play as Racer X. Still I just wonder how the Brothers are going to make speed a christ like figure in this movie.... Rolling Eyes
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Who?
Jedi General

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 2:43 pm Reply with quote
I don't know if this is confirmed or not, but it appears that Zac Efron (from the infamous High School Musical) may be in the Speed Racer film also (according to IMDB). His role isn't clear yet though.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0811080/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 3:00 pm Reply with quote
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Oh wow I loved Hirsch in Alpha Dog.
But isn't he kind of short to play Speed? I mean I don't know how tall Speed was but Hirsch just seems short.
Or maybe thats because Timberlake was towering over him all the time. lol.

My only problem is that its Rated G. Was the tv show rated G? I would think not with all the explosions and the girl and the monkey in the trunk. (that was Speed Racer wasn't it?) At least make it Pg PG-13.

I'll make my real judgement when I SEE the movie. But a trailer would be nice.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Kouji

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Is there even anything in Speed Racer that merits a PG13 rating? I mean, seriously, if kids can handle watching Power Rangers, then what's in Speed Racer that they couldn't handle? I'd rather see a G rated live-action Speed Racer movie than a movie with a lot of unnecessary added swearing and violence just to make the movie seem cooler to the "big kids" who would only watch the movie for the swearing and violence rather than the actual plot.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Rompope

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Still I just wonder how the Brothers are going to make speed a christ like figure in this movie....

Is that necessarily a bad thing?
Whearn9999

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:21 am Reply with quote
Rompope wrote:
Quote:
Still I just wonder how the Brothers are going to make speed a christ like figure in this movie....

Is that necessarily a bad thing?

I'm pretty sure that was sarcasm referring to the Matrix movies and how some people felt that Neo was depicted as Christ. Kinda on the fence about that, myself.

I'll watch the movie, then make my judgements.

Britannicamoore:
You're close. It was a boy and a chimp who were always stowing away in Speed's trunk. (Spridle and Chim Chim)
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:22 am Reply with quote
The Speed Racer anime was notorious for its terrible lip-syncs. I wonder if they'll get the movie's actors to re-dub all their lines with terrible lip-syncing as an homage. It would funny to see it if they did it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:28 am Reply with quote
[quote="Whearn9999"]
Rompope wrote:

I'm pretty sure that was sarcasm referring to the Matrix movies and how some people felt that Neo was depicted as Christ. Kinda on the fence about that, myself.

They should've used Trinity as the God-Like figure.....encite some controversy.

And I second GATSU's comemnts....who the **** is this guy again?
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:05 am Reply with quote
Um... Anime dazed

It will be great or will fall head first on a rock.

I hope it is the former.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jgreen

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:14 am Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:
Oh wow I loved Hirsch in Alpha Dog.

Really? I thought he was far and away the worst actor in what was otherwise a really, really good movie ("Hirsch is the weakest link in the cast as Johnny, a baby-faced thug who isn't the slightest bit menacing" is how I put it whenI reviewed it). I kind of think of Hirsch as the poor man's Edward Furlong. He would make an interesting Speed, don't you think? Laughing

britannicamoore wrote:
My only problem is that its Rated G. Was the tv show rated G? I would think not with all the explosions and the girl and the monkey in the trunk. (that was Speed Racer wasn't it?) At least make it Pg PG-13.

There was nothing PG-13 at ALL about Speed Racer, it's total kids stuff and I think it's a good move on the filmmaker's part to make sure it's kid appropriate. I hope bumping it all the way down to G instead of PG won't rob us of any wicked cool car crashes, though, because THAT is what Speed Racer is really all about.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:03 pm Reply with quote
jgreen:
Quote:
There was nothing PG-13 at ALL about Speed Racer,

People did die in the Japanese version. Although they do get away with that kind of thing in G movies...
RezSav

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Interesting, I just did a search on this guy a couple days ago (was watching Lords of Dogtown you see), he was good in the Emperor's Club.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2