• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Saki's National Tournament Arc Anime Slated for January

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sango chan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:25 am Reply with quote
Hell Yes! It's about time. can't wait.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:32 am Reply with quote
Funnily enough, just today I decided to drop the original Saki after 12 episodes because I couldn't be arsed to roll my eyes 150 times per episode (i.e. everytime Nodoka's boobs bounce/her penguin presses against her boobs/ Nodoka's boobs become the protagonist).
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:44 am Reply with quote
Yeah, Nodotits is definitely the worst Saki, but the crazy mahjong makes up for it. Looking forward to this. Ritz let me down a bit with Achiga but I expect her to be at her best with the Kiyosumi side of the tournament bracket.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:44 am Reply with quote
Wonder what they'll do with this. If they want to air this in January, it's either only going to cover the pre-quarter final match or it's going to go off in an anime-only direction. I think the manga has had about 6 chapters this year and it's less than half-way through the quarter-finals (which at the current rate, won't finish until about 2017).
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:50 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Yeah, Nodotits is definitely the worst Saki, but the crazy mahjong makes up for it. Looking forward to this. Ritz let me down a bit with Achiga but I expect her to be at her best with the Kiyosumi side of the tournament bracket.

The mahjong was interesting (it's the reason I started watching the show) but it was all way too confusing, I never had the slightest clue of who was winning and why they were winning and I found myself bored shitless by the character "drama" + WaifuNodokafantasies so I ended up flash-forwarding half of each episode. I stopped right before Nodoka's turn in the tournament because I decided I couldn't stand 3+ episodes of close-ups to the penguin between Nodoka's tits
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:18 am Reply with quote
People whining about Nodoka's boobs aside, it will be fascinating to see how far this actually goes because lol Ritz.
Splitter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:53 am Reply with quote
Anticipating this a little less now given how Achiga-hen ended, but I've already come this far so it would be really pointless not to see how it all turns out. At the very least, go go Tacos!
Rederoin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:29 am Reply with quote
So it seems it'll only cover the quarter finals.
Ritz is only in the sergeant match of the semi's at the moment.
Progeusz

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:34 am Reply with quote
rederoin wrote:
So it seems it'll only cover the quarter finals.
Ritz is only in the sergeant match of the semi's at the moment.
Also, judging by the RAW spoilers it seems like spoiler[Mako's match could last another chapter or two, the scores aren't much different suggesting it's still the first hanchan]
Alph4Xerxes

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:21 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Funnily enough, just today I decided to drop the original Saki after 12 episodes because I couldn't be arsed to roll my eyes 150 times per episode (i.e. everytime Nodoka's boobs bounce/her penguin presses against her boobs/ Nodoka's boobs become the protagonist).

Funnily enough, I just started watching Saki yesterday and passed episode 12 today.

An unfortunate side-effect of that is that reading this article somewhat spoiled part of the story :/
Progeusz

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:48 am Reply with quote
Alph4Xerxes wrote:
Funnily enough, I just started watching Saki yesterday and passed episode 12 today.

An unfortunate side-effect of that is that reading this article somewhat spoiled part of the story :/
Well, by the episode 12 there should be enough hints for the likely outcome. Continue watching, it's great! Actually I'm just finishing a rewatch of Saki, preparing myself for the sequel.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:43 am Reply with quote
I think it's possible for the anime to take on the semis. After all, the first Saki series also veered ahead of the manga.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:48 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
I think it's possible for the anime to take on the semis. After all, the first Saki series also veered ahead of the manga.

Not possible.

The manga is only at the 2nd round of the semi's at the moment. The 1st season was only ahead by a few chapters. While in this case, the semi's won't be done until late 2014/early 2015.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:56 am Reply with quote
Only a few chapters? And you forget all about the individual tournament? If I recall correctly, the first Saki anime had 7-8 episodes that were not sourced exactly from the manga, starting from the last part of the prefecture finals.

I'm not saying it's likely, I'm saying it's possible. But apparently people don't realize just how much the first Saki anime overtook the source material.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:05 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Only a few chapters? And you forget all about the individual tournament? If I recall correctly, the first Saki anime had 7-8 episodes that were not sourced exactly from the manga, starting from the last part of the prefecture finals.

I'm not saying it's likely, I'm saying it's possible. But apparently people don't realize just how much the first Saki anime overtook the source material.

The 1st season had a lot of filler(last 7 episodes). The manga skipped the individuals. The anime(S1) barely overtook the manga.

And I can't think of another case where the anime adaptation was 9 months/1~ year ahead of the manga, so the chances of it covering the semi's are zero. The anime is supposed to advertise the manga after-all.

Last edited by Rederoin on Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2