• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Girl/Guy ratio of fans

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:11 am Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
xslainx wrote:
Just like the women to lose interest in things really quick Razz

We only lose interest in the little things.

Yah, we always knew women were lying when they said size didn't matter.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:22 pm Reply with quote
jetz wrote:
abunai wrote:
You're seriously going to use Genshiken, a work of fiction, as the basis for a conjecture about real life? Come on, now....

Ok fine but here's what I thought.. Whoever made Genshiken (I forgot sorry..) probably got inspiration from real life.. There's a reason why it's made that way

probably is the word here...but if its the real case then wouldnt comic party almost all girl cast be an example.
iamagirl

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:17 pm Reply with quote
in my school theres more girl fans i think. but the problem is that theres more manga/anime made for guys than the ones made for girls.
some manga ment for guys(shounen) would be good for girls but theres alot that a girl would never like. so maby guys just have a bigger selection than girls if they want to try out a manga or anime? but then again some people dont pay much attention to shounen/shoujo my brothers used to like sailor moon when they were younger, i dont think they knew that most sailor moon fans were girls lol

i fall into the girls 14- catigory so my percentige is pretty high!
Saiyo_Chan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:38 pm Reply with quote
samuraiwalt wrote:
The poll number totals are 57.3% male and 42.7% female. I thought it would be a larger diiference based on the anime club meeting I attended last month which was 80% male.

I'm actually not too surprised that the difference is so small. I typically assume that there are more male fans in general, but at my school, there really seems to be more female anime/manga fans. At least, many of the male anime fans seem to usually only like one or two anime, whereas female fans are more likely to have a large manga collection, and are more likely to search out other anime that they'd enjoy. Male fans may a few series, but seem like they're less likely to become longtime fans after they get bored with the series they currently like. Also, they seem less likely to go to things like Anime Cons, and probably less likely to call themselves anime fans.
Of course, this is just some vague assumptions on my part based on the few male anime fans that I actually know, as well as the schools Anime Club, which I've only gone to twice this year...

Quote:
my brothers used to like sailor moon when they were younger, i don't think they knew that most sailor moon fans were girls lol

Lol...My younger brother didn't really watch Sailor Moon, but he did try to dress up as Tuxedo Mask a lot, and wanted a Tuxedo Mask doll. He probably would've been a Sailor Moon fan if I'd let him watch my videos...
vickeyv

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:34 am Reply with quote
Well yeah at first i was like under the belief that guys mainly watch anime, but i alaways knew that girls watch anime, but when i came to Singapore, its like every chick is hooked onto anime. Like you go to anime shops and manga stores and there are always an equal if not more amount of chicks there. Also so far i have only seen chciks flipping through manga on mrt/subways and buses.
Belive it, chicks do dick anime, its just about exposure and the thing every one is doing.
Iritscen

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:49 am Reply with quote
Kelly wrote:
As mentioned before when this subject comes up, I think part of the matter is also the cold, hard fact that females in general are more likely to be willing to crossover than males - an issue that is magnified in a niche market. We gals are often up for a good action story, or comedy if it isn't too offensive, but the average guy will run screaming at the thought of weepy tearjerkers and other more female-oriented stories.

Couldn't one easily say the above in reverse? To wit:

Quote:
As mentioned before when this subject comes up, I think part of the matter is also the cold, hard fact that males in general are more likely to be willing to crossover than females - an issue that is magnified in a niche market. We guys are often up for a good romance story with comedy in it, or even shoujo stuff if it isn't too girly, but the average gal will run screaming at the thought of techy sci-fi and other more male-oriented stories.

I'm not sure either is more accurate as a generalization, though. It's pretty hard to find guys who actually like romance stories or girls that actually like DBZ-style shounen material (Naruto doesn't count, it's got bishounen, so they don't have to mainly enjoy all the action to like watching it).

Kelly wrote:
That being said, I do think things are getting a little better, and more true 50/50 crossover titles seem to be showing up.

That gave me the idea for a thread. Here it is.

P.S.: Am I the only one who thinks a sentence in the post above me sounds really wrong with that typo?
Asako

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Iritscen wrote:
P.S.: Am I the only one who thinks a sentence in the post above me sounds really wrong with that typo?
It does sound really wrong... Anime hyper

Saiyo_Chan wrote:
I'm actually not too surprised that the difference is so small. I typically assume that there are more male fans in general, but at my school, there really seems to be more female anime/manga fans. At least, many of the male anime fans seem to usually only like one or two anime, whereas female fans are more likely to have a large manga collection, and are more likely to search out other anime that they'd enjoy. Male fans may a few series, but seem like they're less likely to become longtime fans after they get bored with the series they currently like. Also, they seem less likely to go to things like Anime Cons, and probably less likely to call themselves anime fans.
Of course, this is just some vague assumptions on my part based on the few male anime fans that I actually know, as well as the schools Anime Club, which I've only gone to twice this year...
I've felt a bit the same that more younger girls are into anime and manga while there are the long time fans who are mainly guys who are older. And it seems that the industry in America is pushing for that huge influx of female readers.

Hmm.. I could be wrong... but maybe someone should do a small summary of titles that's been released and see the frequency of types of titles over a period of time Smile Hmm.. that'd be interesting.. I think I might do that..
Phyre_ Phly

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:02 pm Reply with quote
I'm a Gal and i know plenty of other ladies out there who LoVE anime, so i think the numbers are pretty much even and it really depends where you look. Some places appear to have more males, other places like an anime club i once belonged to had more females, and my friends anime club were its pretty much even! Exclamation
Iritscen

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:38 am Reply with quote
I think it's safe to say that if girls start a club, it's more likely to attract girl fans. It is usually awkward for a guy to join an all-girls club.

The same goes for clubs started by guys mostly attracting guys. I guess that's why your experiences differ as to what gender is most into anime.
animeactress

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:11 pm Reply with quote
there are alote more girl-fans out there than most people think. but the ones i know only watch and read shojo. in my case it falls into the category of girls will read guy stories but guys will not read girl stories. i personally like some of the shounen better than most shojo. Confused
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4