• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Jason Thompson's House of 1000 Manga - Dr. Slump

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ptolemy18
Manga Reviewer/Creator/Taster

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Snootymatt wrote:
No mention of Kinoko Sarada though???? She was my FAVOURITE character, she was so hip and brilliant, and her parents were strawberry eating psychos! awww

Sorry! She totally slipped my mind somehow!! I love her character design too!
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:37 am Reply with quote
Caught at New York Comic Con 2013 last weekend:

penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:53 am Reply with quote
Heh, that reminds me that at last year's Otakon there was an Arale cosplayer sitting next to me at the ANN panel.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Gilles Poitras

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:49 am Reply with quote
Thank you Jason for reviewing Dr. Slump.

This is such a delightful and well drawn manga that so well captures the spirit of kids humor that adults should read it while letting the stresses of adult life take a break.

And it has lots of poop.
noblesse oblige

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Spot on review of my favorite Toriyama manga. I wish he was more prolific these days. Anyone else read Kintoki and think it deserves to be turned into a serialization? I think he created another interesting world and it needs to be fleshed out!
wrapped-scallion

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:59 pm Reply with quote
noblesse oblige wrote:
Anyone else read Kintoki and think it deserves to be turned into a serialization? I think he created another interesting world and it needs to be fleshed out!

Unlike Jason, I personally love The one oneshots Toriyama made after Slump (I think I've read all of them, or at least the ones that have been translated). However, Kintoki was the one that made me simultaneously groan and roll my eyes into the back of my head. I can forgive him for recycling a lot of his ideas from dragon ball in 'Kajika' but three times is seriously enough.

And it's funny Jason mentions the disappointed look Toriyama gave him after telling he hadn't read slump. I'm pretty sure there is an interview between Toriyama and Oda where Oda said something along the lines of 'I never read that much Dr. Slump', I wonder if he was treated to the same disappointed stair.
vanishingblood

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Created an account to point out the errors in this article. 1. Right in the beginning, there are 42 volumes of Dragon Ball, not 36. 2. Viz DID censor Dr. Slump. Alcohol was renamed "Super Punch" and penises were removed (Although there is one instance were one was not, which once again attests to Viz's inconsistency in their releases.)
suprememoonempress

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:20 pm Reply with quote
I love Dr. Slump my friends know this only from Dragonball but, I knew this before it actually, I find this series very fun and colorful
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2