• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: The Girl Who Leapt Through Time

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:35 am Reply with quote
Hey, Delta? You back yet?
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:11 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Hey, Delta? You back yet?

Yeah I'm back, after the panel (I think I was sitting to your left) I had to go see wicked.....and since then I've been working until 9 PM or so.

Anyways The girl who leapt through time, I thought it was a very good movie but it's just misses that upper echelon of superb anime.

spoiler[I felt that to start this movie I was waiting for Makoto get her ability instead of watching a movie to unfold, but once that happened I just settled in and watched a great movie. But with the derailing of Makoto as she tries to fix everything just makes seems way too perfect....yeah I know Chiaki and Makoto aren't together but's still just felt a bit forced. ]

I probably could use a second viewing, but I don't know when that will be since I don't think there have been any announcements concerning dvd release. Also has this movie fulfilled the requirements to be eligible for Academy Award Nomination? Or does it still need an entire week of play at a theater in LA/NY?
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:41 am Reply with quote
Delta:
Quote:
Yeah I'm back, after the panel (I think I was sitting to your left)

You mean the big-boned brotha near at the far left? Or closer than that? And how'd you know it was me? That Friendster profile pic of me must be spreading... :cry:

Quote:

Anyways The girl who leapt through time, I thought it was a very good movie but it's just misses that upper echelon of superb anime.

Yeah, but now I can't trash Hosoda for his Digimon connection. But it was weird that they credited him as the director of "One Piece: The Movie", when he worked on the sixth movie. I wonder if that means Toekids is releasing that one first...

Quote:
I probably could use a second viewing, but I don't know when that will be since I don't think there have been any announcements concerning dvd release.

They'll probably screen it at AX.

Quote:
Also has this movie fulfilled the requirements to be eligible for Academy Award Nomination? Or does it still need an entire week of play at a theater in LA/NY?

I wonder if they'll bother, considering they already got a Japanese Oscar.
DKL

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:08 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

But you always gotta aim for the stars!

That said, I kinda wish that I went to the San Francisco showing in addition to the Berkeley showing...
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:19 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
You mean the big-boned brotha near at the far left? Or closer than that? And how'd you know it was me? That Friendster profile pic of me must be spreading... Crying or Very sad

I wasn't the big boned brotha, reading the other thread (in event forum) it sounded like you were directly behind that girl who was quite determine to get her question, I was in the second row all the way to the left.

Quote:
They'll probably screen it at AX.

I probably wouldn't view it there, I normally only able to go one or two days at a convention due to work so normally I don't watch movies (although I did see FMA last year) since I want to attend lots of panels.

Quote:

True but it would be nice if Hosoda could tell Hayao that he's also got a golden man also Anime hyper
nicomorr

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 3:06 am Reply with quote
I love the Bach in Tokikake & wonder who the performer might be?

Very well-played, maybe Angela Hewitt? I'm watching it again to see what I can see. How do they do this .... contracted performances or licencing existing recordings?

I always mean to make a list of anime with Bach, was it an episode of Kare Kano that had an excellent Goldberg Variations? I really should make better notes.

I thought here it was well-integrated, the spare recursive music making a sound metaphor with the temporal leaping .....

Some people believe Bach was a time-traveller. Well, maybe not a time-traveller, but the thing is - just to write out all Bach's music would take a lifetime .... and he had to compose it as well. So how did he do that?

There's a lot of aural subtlety in this film - I like that a LOT!

Nico M Cool
StarMasayume

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:16 am Reply with quote
I watched this movie with my best friend and I think it's one of my favorites. The animation and backgrounds were stunning for being a mostly every day world and the characters were so easy to relate to. Granted we felt Makoto was a big idiot for the most part. It had more twists to it at the end than I first that which I really loved.

The lack of explanation about her aunt and the painting bugged me slightly, but I see most people have excepted it being the original Makoto (I guess just a homage to the previous ones... so does that mean the aunt isn't in the other versions, I wonder?).

My biggest problem with it?

spoiler[I'm a romantic at heart and I wanted to see them together somehow someway Anime hyper If only that it would be my most favorite. (I do love their last conversation! But it's too sad to think it could never be followed up on...) I kept sitting entranced at the credits praying for that one little clip to show (like Fushigi Yuugi or Pirates 3 Anime hyper), Blah. ]

Oh well, I'll probably encourage all the otaku around me to watch it and if there ends up being an English version I'll get my parents to see it too. ^^

Is the live action movie and the book this is based off of called the same? I'm really curious what details were in the book that had to be left out or skimmed over in the movie.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
jgreen

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:47 am Reply with quote
StarMasayume wrote:
Is the live action movie and the book this is based off of called the same? I'm really curious what details were in the book that had to be left out or skimmed over in the movie.

The other versions of "The Girl Who Leapt Through Time" all go by the same name ("Toki Wo Kakeru Shoujo" in Japanese) but they aren't exactly the same story. The live action movie is based directly off the original novel, but the animated version just uses the set-up but is actually set 2 decades later. This is why spoiler[many people assume that Makoto's aunt is an older version of the original series' heroine.]

I should point out that you can read much more about "The Girl Who Leapt Through Time" in the current issue of Protoculture Addicts, in an article written by yours truly. Mr. Green
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Joichiro Nishi

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 2:18 pm Reply with quote
I think The girl who leapt through time is too overrated. It didn`t have nothing truly special, I watched better animes than this movie. It`s boring and I enjoyed slice of life with fantasy like The place promised in our early days. The moral lesson was too evident, I tolerate that in shonen animes but I supossed this anime would be for a more exigent audience. spoiler[The ending was too forced, I didn`t get an explanation for that ending; it almost feel like a Hollywood ending.]

Animation is not that good, even some mainstream animes have better animation. Makoto`s seiyuu made a terrible work, her voice is annoying. This movie try to manipulate audience`s feelings. Madhouse probably was thinking this: "Makoto Shinkai got some fame, then let`s make some movie who looks alike his works." I think Madhouse doesn`t need to make "good cinema" to demostrate that it`s a great studio.
rainekalisz

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:53 pm Reply with quote
O_O Are you kidding me? The animation in it is incredibly good. I'm an animation student and I was just blown away by it. Everything moves so slowly and it's a rediculous amount of work to make something look that while having it as simple and as crisp as it was in the movie. Also the backgrounds and layouts were just incredible. I've never seen any movies that gave such care to the backgrounds as it did. The clouds were rendered so intricately and actually swelled and changed as they moved. I can't believe someone would insult the animation in it.

As for the voice acting, I personally loved it. That slightly whinny inflection in the voice and the tom boyish attitude were perfect for her character. A couple of times I thought her laughing seemed kinda unnatural but beyond that I didn't think it could be much improved upon. The voice acting though is just a personal preference. I do know animation though and my blurb is not just personal opinion as far as that goes.

So does anyone know of any movies that are at all similar in style to that one that they could recommend if I liked it?
JyL

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Sorry for being half a year late but I only just saw it yesterday.

I agree the ending was a little disjointed, and one thing in particular bugs me.

spoiler[When Chiaki says "I'll be waiting for you in the future." Is he serious or is that just his way of saying good-bye? I imagine during Makoto's time, Chiaki hasn't been born yet. That would make Makoto at least 17/18 years older than Chiaki. It would be a very long while for Makoto to wait for Chiaki to be born, grow up to 17/18 (however old he is when he jumped), jump and return from the past, and then get reunited. Think about it. Let's say Makoto has been waiting for 2 decades, Chiaki is (say)16 and hasn't went back to the past yet. Makoto would know and love him, but he would have no clue who she is. She'd have to wait until he jumped/returned for him to know her, at that point he's still 17/18 and she must be pushing 40 by then (at least).]
Markavian

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:15 pm Reply with quote
I watched this film the other week at a public screening and have to say I thoroughly enjoyed it. The time jump sequences might have made my eyes hurt at first, but the story and the enthusiam of the main character was heart warming.

JyL: spoiler[I agree, the ending is a little cryptic... but I like to explain it like this: Chiaki presumably jumps forward into the future back to the time he was originally from. Presumably, he would be then able to recharge his timer, and potentially jump back at somepoint in his life to a point where Makoto is of a similar age. Either that or he isn't as far forward in the future as we at first might imagine and that Makoto might meet Chiaki in her natural life without the need for jumps.]

spoiler[Either way, I found the ending to be controlled and sensible with plenty of scope for continuation (life carries on for everyone)...]

Can't wait to buy this on DVD, I want to watch it again!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3