• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Bunny Drop GN 9

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kaisos Erranon

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Of course Usagi Drop's ending is worse than Oreimo's. With Oreimo you could see it coming miles away and anyone who would have gotten offended had the chance to bail out years ago.
In fact I think Oreimo, as awful as it is, should be celebrated for having the balls to not pull the WHOOPS NOT BLOOD RELATED DATING IS A-OK NOW card like every other imouto-moe thing does.
NottJim

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:52 pm Reply with quote
PingSoni wrote:
And why is a gentle story like Bunny Drop so much worse than all the harem stories or a story like Hot Gimmick?

I think a lot of people (me) thought that it was bait-and-switch. I felt like I'd gone to see this lovely disney christmas movie and it had turned into The Human Centipede somewhere a long the way.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Y'know when we sometimes say such and such girl has daddy issues. Rin literally has daddy issues textbook. Laughing
Sylpher3

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I get the sense that Woody Allen would dig this title.

Haha, this is so below the belt (for the actor) yet brilliant at the same time it makes me want to applaud you.
Now if I’m not mistaken, there is a minor difference since he didn’t "raise his wife”, unlike Daikichi. And for what it’s worth, he has a very stable marriage, so perhaps the author took inspiration from a real-life case that worked out. Smile
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Kaisos Erranon wrote:
Of course Usagi Drop's ending is worse than Oreimo's. With Oreimo you could see it coming miles away and anyone who would have gotten offended had the chance to bail out years ago.
In fact I think Oreimo, as awful as it is, should be celebrated for having the balls to not pull the WHOOPS NOT BLOOD RELATED DATING IS A-OK NOW card like every other imouto-moe thing does.

Okay i'll be blunt I did not see that ending in oreimo coming period and neither did alot of other people. Call me a fool or whatever but i'm tired of it being brought up.

As for bunny drop's ending, either the author has huge father issues or she just wanted to shock everyone.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jet_

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
Okay i'll be blunt I did not see that ending in oreimo coming period and neither did alot of other people. Call me a fool or whatever but i'm tired of it being brought up.

Quote:
My Little Sister Can't Be This Cute
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:36 pm Reply with quote
What bothered me the most is what others have said before; that somehow, their familial relationship wasn't like a "real" family because they weren't related by blood which made marriage okay.

Seriously? Adopted children as well as children who have step-parents form real, lasting bonds with their parents. It's not like those bonds are suddenly invalidated at the drop of a hat; Rin *has* to have thought of Daikichi as her father, at least when she was younger. To me, it might not be physical incest, but it sure as hell is psychological incest. Which is just as bad. *shudder*

Not to mention that there's already too few good, parent-child-centric manga to begin with. So yeah, I felt really gutted when I read this ending (and I still read all the way to the end hoping it had just been blown out of proportion or something). *sigh*
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Sylpher3 wrote:
Now if I’m not mistaken, there is a minor difference since he didn’t "raise his wife”

Woody Allen was (effectively, but not legally) Soon-Yi's stepfather and is is biological son's (with ex Mia Farrow) father and brother-in-law at the same time. His previous children won't have anything to do with him. He also lost custody of his aformentioned children and could only see one under supervision because of inconclusive sexual molestation allegations.

Allen became a parental figure in Soon-Yi's life when she was 8.

Pretty decent example on how the story in Bunny Drop would play out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
boredandlazy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Kaisos Erranon wrote:

I didn't see it coming either. I wasn't offended by the ending as such, I just thought it was completely stupid and out of left field considering how the characters had interacted for two whole seasons. There's no way in hell I'm buying season 2, and I completely regret buying the expensive Aniplex import Blu-Ray of Season 1.
Title of the series be damned.

As for the topic at hand, the more I read about the manga the gladder I am that they stopped the anime where they did.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:53 pm Reply with quote
It doesn't matter, by law in japan she can get married to whoever she wants as long as gets a parental or a guardians consent at 16.

Which, in this case, would be the consent of the very same person she's marrying.

Which is precisely the problem with this scenario.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:02 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
It doesn't matter, by law in japan she can get married to whoever she wants as long as gets a parental or a guardians consent at 16.

Which, in this case, would be the consent of the very same person she's marrying.

As they say, don't look a gift horse in the mouth. Laughing
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:28 am Reply with quote
PingSoni wrote:
And why is a gentle story like Bunny Drop so much worse than all the harem stories or a story like Hot Gimmick?
Most of them don't aim to be anything more than garbage. You can tell what their intentions are just by looking at the front cover. Unless you're ultra perverted I don't think you could come to any sort of weird conclusion when you look at the cover of Bunny Drop.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:17 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:

As they say, don't look a gift horse in the mouth. Laughing
Why do you have to leave creepy, gross comments in every thread? The lol face you use doesn'tmake the sentiment any less gross.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:23 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:

And suddenly I'm thinking about the first book in the Series of Unfortunate Events series.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:28 am Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:

Why do you have to leave creepy, gross comments in every thread? The lol face you use doesn't make the sentiment any less gross.

It's fiction; I'm just having fun with it, that's all.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7