• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Space Dandy to Run on TV in Japan, N. America, Asia in January

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Covnam

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:53 am Reply with quote
Wow, awesome news. Looking forward to this even more now.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:57 am Reply with quote
Wow, this is surprising to say the least. Guess I'll be watching it dubbed. Hope they can pull some strings and get Steve Blum. After all, they managed to get Johnny Bosch for Eureka Seven AO. Surely this show is important enough that they'd go to that trouble.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:06 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

CrowLia wrote:
Nitpicking like usual, but, as I'm guessing, North America refers to the US (and possibly Canada?). I honestly wish the article would say this kind of stuff more specifically, and I know it's annoying that I bring it up every damn time, but it's sort of grating that the title is "the show will be available in N.A. (except in YOUR country which is also N.A. but not the part of N.A. that gets nice stuff)"

As far as Americans are generally concerned, Mexico may as well be South America. I imagine there would always be an "except Mexico" if they were to specify America and Canada in NA, I think it's quite obvious it's usually referring to those two.

I am very much aware of that and therein lies my problem. It's not that I'm like "why won't you recognize my country as part of the oh grand and holy N.A?" but that, geographically speaking, Mexico is part of N.A. and believing contrary is incorrect. I'm sort of sick of seeing "Cool shit gets release in North America... oh wait, it's just the US (maybe Canada if we're feeling generous)". I always get my hopes subconsciously up just to remember "oh wait, as far as the US is concerned, I'm part of Brazil or something". I know it's nitpicky, but is it that terrible to hope for people to use geographical terms correctly?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:07 am Reply with quote
I have to wonder if the simultaneous means "to the day, exactly" since Adult Swim is tied to one small time slot whereas Space Dandy could say, be a Monday night show a few days in advance. Article uses the term "near", but that's sort of vague. My guess is it'll be a delay-cast, but there's no chance it could air here before Japan, is there?
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:38 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I have to wonder if the simultaneous means "to the day, exactly" since Adult Swim is tied to one small time slot whereas Space Dandy could say, be a Monday night show a few days in advance. Article uses the term "near", but that's sort of vague. My guess is it'll be a delay-cast, but there's no chance it could air here before Japan, is there?

Hmmm.... good point. Most likely not air before Japan though. If the J-airing is near enough on AS Toonami night, CN will most likely just wait till Toonami. But if the J-airing is more than a few days ahead, Williams Street has been known to be flexible with their scheduling and could just slot Space Dandy in one of those weeknight AS timeslots (weeknight AS are pretty much reruns anyways, and one timeslot wouldn't hurt).
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:48 am Reply with quote
I can say with 99.97% certainty that when they say "the series will be aired on Adult Swim in North America in English" it is simply out of total ignorance of the fact that Adult Swim is only available in the United States. And yes, I am aware that there is a network in Canada that calls itself "Adult Swim Canada," but I can assure you that it is not the same thing and will be in no way involved with this.

It also doesn't help that most viewers in Canada have never even seen Cowboy Bebop, since it never got a basic cable airing here. The series doesn't even have a promotional leg to stand on.

Last edited by Pepperidge on Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:12 am; edited 1 time in total
mierin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:52 am Reply with quote
mistress_kisara wrote:
That's good, Asia never gets any simulcasts (except for K and Coppelion).

You're forgetting Last Exile: Fam the Silver Wing

I'm happy Animax Asia is showing this too. At least there's an available and legal source for me to watch.
Red Fox of Fire

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:09 am Reply with quote
Boobies.

Nothing to do with Hooters.

Right.

Why am I not excited for this show (the above is not the answer [but it's also not helping])
Watts

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:24 am Reply with quote
Toonami just announced on their tumblr that they'll be airing it at 11:30pm!!
jet_

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:37 am Reply with quote
Red Fox of Fire wrote:
Boobies.

Nothing to do with Hooters.

Right.

Why am I not excited for this show (the above is not the answer [but it's also not helping])

Yeah.
Because boobs/fanservice in entertainment = bad.
xScar

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:43 am Reply with quote
Watts wrote:

Not only did they announce it's airing at 11:30, but they also announced that it's airing in America BEFORE it airs in Japan.

Source
LuckyAstei

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:52 am Reply with quote
wow....just wow not only is this series actually doing something smart to prevent. we are also getting the first viewing of the ep...kinda ironic the English dub will be shown first instead of the Japanese cast. Not that I'm complaining this is really a step in the right direction to prevent copyright infringement.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:29 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

CrowLia wrote:
Nitpicking like usual, but, as I'm guessing, North America refers to the US (and possibly Canada?). I honestly wish the article would say this kind of stuff more specifically, and I know it's annoying that I bring it up every damn time, but it's sort of grating that the title is "the show will be available in N.A. (except in YOUR country which is also N.A. but not the part of N.A. that gets nice stuff)"

As far as Americans are generally concerned, Mexico may as well be South America. I imagine there would always be an "except Mexico" if they were to specify America and Canada in NA, I think it's quite obvious it's usually referring to those two.

I am very much aware of that and therein lies my problem. It's not that I'm like "why won't you recognize my country as part of the oh grand and holy N.A?" but that, geographically speaking, Mexico is part of N.A. and believing contrary is incorrect. I'm sort of sick of seeing "Cool shit gets release in North America... oh wait, it's just the US (maybe Canada if we're feeling generous)". I always get my hopes subconsciously up just to remember "oh wait, as far as the US is concerned, I'm part of Brazil or something". I know it's nitpicky, but is it that terrible to hope for people to use geographical terms correctly?

Peppridge basically sums this up nicely, right after they say N. America, they specifically say Cartoon Network Adult Swim. So you already have your answer, if you country gets the channel then you get it, and if you don't then no.

I also don't get your issue. US and Canada speak primarily English. Mexico and down they speak Spanish. They are not going to go through the cost of dubbing it or subbing it just for Mexico when the primary target is the US. Canada happens to speak the same language so they can get more products.

Also I wouldn't whine, South America has gotten quite a few shows that never made it to America. So its not like America gets everything and SA is left out in the cold.

Also you don't see Europe, where I am from, whining. Half the countries there don't get anything beyond Ghibli, and some don't get anything at all because almost every country speaks a different language.
jet_

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:39 am Reply with quote
xScar wrote:
Watts wrote:

Not only did they announce it's airing at 11:30, but they also announced that it's airing in America BEFORE it airs in Japan.

Source

Quote:
SPACE DANDY is a 26 episode series that will be premiering in the U.S. BEFORE it premieres in Japan

I hope that's not just a mistake from the person in charge of Toonami's Tumblr account.
jet_

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:39 am Reply with quote
Quote:
SPACE DANDY is a 26 episode series that will be premiering in the U.S. BEFORE it premieres in Japan

I hope that's not just a mistake from the person in charge of Toonami's Tumblr account.

Last edited by jet_ on Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5