• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Space Dandy to Run on TV in Japan, N. America, Asia in January

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GYRAX

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:45 am Reply with quote
Wow! Now THIS is how you start a day! Anime smile

This kind of thing doesn't happen that often in anime, so it's definitely something I appreciate.

Last edited by GYRAX on Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:22 am Reply with quote
Wow.

That's cool as Hell and extremely unexpected. This is a pretty exciting announcement. The parties involved are showing a lot of faith in the creative team and it's a better than average team to have faith in.

I wonder what the logistics of this deal were and how production will work. This will require very quick turnarounds on the English version from FUNImation as well as a good connection between the companies in the United States and Japan. I hope that they're up to the task. I especially hope that they can create an exceptionally good English dub. Expectations are, for historical reasons, going to be high. It'd also be cool if they could contrive at least cameos for some of the Cowboy Bebop cast. I can't imagine Steve Blum announcing the show every week and not wanting in on it.

For some reason I can't help but feel that this won't quite work out. Unreasonable expectations will be easy to come by, but I can't shake a feeling that even more modest ones could end up being disappointed.

That said, I really hope that this succeeds. This will never be common, but I'd like for this not to just be an unique experiment, worse still, one that is hardly remembered. (Seriously; who even knows from memory what Kurokami was about?)

Very excellent. Very excellent, indeed.

jet_ wrote:
Red Fox of Fire wrote:
Boobies.

Nothing to do with Hooters.

Right.

Why am I not excited for this show (the above is not the answer [but it's also not helping])

Yeah.
Because boobs/fanservice in entertainment = bad.

I tend to think so. (Whom you quoted doesn't necessarily, you might have overlooked that he deemed that not the reason he is unenthused) It's a little more complicated than that, but I'd be keener on Space Dandy without Boobies. (N.b. Shinichirō Watanabe explicitly drew the analogy between Boobies and Hooters in his panels at Otakon)

I'm more annoyed that the 'breastaurant' (oh, that word!) waitress is evidently going to be a dumb bimbo.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:23 am Reply with quote
lots of hype going for this series coming in 2014.

give sure air in many area of the world yet also dub by Funi even more matching week airing both dubs & subs version.

well now i say could this be sign of changes in world of anime?
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:24 am Reply with quote
That was quick for Animax Asia get it for simulcast.

Last edited by MrTerrorist on Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:48 am Reply with quote
I'm curious if Funimation will also being doing a subbed simulcast online for those that those that hate dubs or simply don't have cable or satellite, or if Adult Swim will be streaming it online (likely at a later date) for those that latter group.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:50 am Reply with quote
This is pretty cool. This is the only thing outside of Monday Night Football that ever makes me wish I had cable. I'd love to support the TV broadcast but I can't so i'll just cross my fingers that it's also on Hulu, CR, etc.

LuckyAstei wrote:
Not that I'm complaining this is really a step in the right direction to prevent copyright infringement.

How so? To me it just seems like the only difference between the normal piracy situation is that now you'll have HD dual-audio fansubs available months before any physical release, whether JP or US.

I can't see the pirate community cutting this show some slack because of a simultaneous broadcast. This is the same community shunning Crunchyroll because anything is too much of a price to pay, shunning Hulu because commercials are too much of a price to pay, and shunning Daisuki because having to visit a legit company's website is too much of a price to pay.

KLAC wrote:
well now i say could this be sign of changes in world of anime?

Only if it does well for the Japanese companies (they probably got cut a check upfront so I doubt it could ever go bad for them), Funimation (gets higher than normal ratings and ups their clout at TV and ends up being a smash hit seller), and Adult Swim (puts up ratings numbers noticeably higher than what normally runs in that slot).

Failure or par for the course on anyone's end and this is an experiment that probably won't be tried again unless Mizaki makes a TV anime and Disney steps in to air it globally. They tried it and failed with Kurokami going the internet route. If the largest US anime company tries it and fails with the biggest US TV channel airing anime not aimed at 6-year olds when going the TV route, you it'll probably be seen by all as a concept that just can't work for many many years.
rootsofjustice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:46 am Reply with quote
http://toonami.tumblr.com/post/65032254047/big-honkin-toonami-announcement-hey-everybody

According to the Toonami Tumblr, Toonami is expanding the block to 11:30 specifically for this show. Also unless they're mistaken it looks like it's getting an additional 14 episodes as well bringing the grand total to 26.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:13 am Reply with quote
I'm surprised this isn't a more frequent occurance. Our shows and movies get exported all around the world with dubs simultaneously, why not Japan's? Razz

Bandai did try this with Kurokami: The Animation and didn't work out. According to Laura Bailey, the people at NYAV Post were dubbing to unfinished animation and storyboards.

As for piracy, they'll just pirate the [adult swim] broadcast if they have to. Having it shown in our country first certainly helps, but it won't eliminate it entirely like for other pirated shows that premiere here.
StrawHat313

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:16 am Reply with quote
They must have a ton of confidence in this show for it to be available on Toonami so soon. Personally I like the character designs, Dandy seems like your normal cool protagonist, and the animation looks amazing.

I'm hyped.
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:20 am Reply with quote
The Kurokami situation is close to this, but this is an English dub premiering on U.S. television *before* the Japanese broadcast on a major cable network. Unprecedented this most definitely is, especially when you factor in the deals that are said to be in the works for elsewhere in the world.

In short, Space Dandy is being pushed on a scale not seen before. This is amazing news.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:23 am Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:

I'm more annoyed that the 'breastaurant' (oh, that word!) waitress is evidently going to be a dumb bimbo.

Maybe they'll reveal later in the series that she's some undercover agent who's a lot smarter and capable than she looks, and her bimbo waitress persona is just a disguise. Surprised
Leebo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:31 am Reply with quote
I think it's okay to suspicious of the handling of the Boobies restaurant idea, but I'll wait to see what they do with it in the show before judging it.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:38 am Reply with quote
Holy cap this is awesome! You better believe I'm gonna hog my dorm room's TV for this historical moment Laughing
Dessa

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:48 am Reply with quote
For Kuro-kami, wasn't it on a premium channel, not a basic cable channel? I remember being excited about it, but I didn't have the channel so I couldn't watch it anyway.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:57 am Reply with quote
I wonder how this will impact the physical release.

Will there be a dual-audio release very near the end of broadcast to capitalize on the TV broadcast in the US but priced at AoA prices to curb reverse importation fears back in Japan?

Will it be some dub-only (or non-BD) near release to capitalize on the TV broadcast, soothe reverse importation fears, and appeal to the pricing that all but the most hardcore of anime collectors and TV fans are used to paying to own a series?

Will it be like normal where the original TV airing (usually JP only but this time US) isn't capitalized on and the discs don't come out for like a year and half or more later?

I'm curious how it plays out. Not sure which one I'm honestly hoping for as there are pros and cons to each.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5