• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Space Dandy to Run on TV in Japan, N. America, Asia in January

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:47 am Reply with quote
Leebo wrote:
Lynx Amali wrote:
Can't say I'm not a little disappointed with what the headline says "North America" when in fact it's just the USA. North America refers to the continent, after all.

Anyone know if the AS/Toonami livestream on the website let people outside the US (particularly, Canada) view it? I'm assuming no.

It also says Asia. I'm assuming it isn't airing in every Asian country.

It's not incorrect to say it's airing in North America.

That's a fair point, although it specifies "various countries in Asia." The person who wrote the press release was obviously ignorant of how broadcasting works between North American countries. That's understandable, but at the same time something they need to be a little more precise about in a situation where the US is getting the world premiere.

Can't blame ANN for simply parroting what the press release said, though. It's not their place to add conjecture even if the conclusion is undeniable.
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:28 pm Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
I'm curious if Funimation will also being doing a subbed simulcast online for those that those that hate dubs or simply don't have cable or satellite, or if Adult Swim will be streaming it online (likely at a later date) for those that latter group.

For those who don't have cable or a dish network, we'll be cut out of the dub. Time Warner locks all of their shows down so that you must subscribe to cable or satellite to get them via internet streams (Cartoon Network/Adult Swim is a Time Warner channel and I know the AS shows are streamed this way). Also they have to specific providers that TW has approved. So those who've cut the cord are simply out of luck on the dub, unless Funimation is doing some sort of delay version for the dub on their site. I'm doubting this is happening because exclusive rights to the dub was probably a deal sweetener to get this on Toonami to begin with.

The only other thing that might happen between now and then, though yet again I doubt it but I won't rule anything out, is that Time Warner finally gets into the 20teens and sets up a pay service that allows non cable subscribers to access their channel content directly and not have all these fricking stupid road blocks locking people out. One other potential option would be selling the dub version show on Amazon (or iTunes or VUDU, et al) at so much a pop. Not sure how this deal covers that route. I just know that TW shows are sold on Amazon and You Tube that way (I've been looking into getting the 2nd Season of a CNN show that way)

For the record, I had to give up my cable a few months ago (not that it would have mattered for streaming - my cable company has never been on the list of providers who can access TW stuff online last I checked). I can no longer afford the money involved to get basic monthly cable, let alone the package I actually had (which had a DVR and Digitial channels involved). I might break down and get the basic package back by January (I'm missing the news channels) but every time I look at how much I have to spend I realize it's not likely it'll happen Sad .
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:18 pm Reply with quote
rootsofjustice wrote:

http://toonami.tumblr.com/post/65032254047/big-honkin-toonami-announcement-hey-everybody/

According to the Toonami Tumblr, Toonami is expanding the block to 11:30 specifically for this show. Also unless they're mistaken it looks like it's getting an additional 14 episodes as well bringing the grand total to 26.

So much for simulcasts!

Japanese trying to cast a wide net, like they used to in the days before anime lost much of the mainstream Japanese timeslots.

This is what Sailor Moon should be doing, especially since SM has an even better worldwide pedigree.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:10 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
So much for simulcasts!

You mean for this series or in general? Either way, I doubt it.

If you mean for this specific series, there are people in the US who don't have cable and it'd be dumb to surrender that entire market to piracy or assume that they'll all just sign up for some $50 a month cable package just to watch this.

If you mean in general, no. One show that hasn't even launched yet is trying this and we don't know what the ratings/commercial response will be. Additionally, every series that simulcasts wouldn't warrant this treatment.
Primus

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:48 pm Reply with quote
I've confirmed that Cartoon Network Canada will not be airing Space Dandy.
SlinkyGuy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Aaaaaaand what about us in Europe?

Do we get the shit end of the stick as usual? Do we get a running of this show or do you yanks only get it too?

Any news on us people in Europe getting it?

Doesn't matter anyway, because we can always illegally watch it online anyway, if that does any justice. But hey, just want to know if us people in England and Europe are getting left out again?
Primus

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:22 pm Reply with quote
SlinkyGuy wrote:
Aaaaaaand what about us in Europe?

Do we get the shit end of the stick as usual? Do we get a running of this show or do you yanks only get it too?

Any news on us people in Europe getting it?

Doesn't matter anyway, because we can always illegally watch it online anyway, if that does any justice. But hey, just want to know if us people in England and Europe are getting left out again?

Bandai Visual's press release stated that they're working on deals for Europe.
Chicken-kun

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:23 pm Reply with quote
He looks like a cucumber, but is actually a human Anime hyper. Also, Meow is wearing Crocs Anime hyper Anime hyper. In all seriousness, I'm so excited about the potential this show has to reach new audiences. In my opinion Watanabe's work tends to resonate with a much, much, larger group of people than the typical anime fanbase, so a simulcast in the US partnered with a hopefully awesome FUNi dub sounds like a winning formula to me. Who knows, if all goes well, we might even get more Adult Swim simulcasts in the future
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5