• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Otakon Announces Fred Gallagher as Guest of Honor

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jenparker

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Argh.

The man doesn't even draw a good comic.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:31 pm Reply with quote
I'm happy to hear this and thinks he deserves it.

I am sure that many anime fans will upset with this news though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
TAKAVAR

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Good, I have read his webcomics. too bad I wont be at otakon this year :/
domino

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:42 pm Reply with quote
A sad day in the anime industry, indeed...

I was expecting something much better for a con as large and popular as Otakon. I have nothing kind to say about Megatokyo, so I'll refrain from commenting on the work directly. I'll just say that if he's this year's Otakon's most honorable guest, I'd hate to see their guest lineup. It's disappointing.
thecactusman17

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:14 pm Reply with quote
To all the naysayers:

Perhaps Otakon could indeed have found somebody who is more involved directly with the Japanese animation industry, but compared to usual con guests, pop-princess singers who show up in one or two anime that wil be forgotten by the next con, Fred Gallagher isn't a bad choice as somebody who is arguably leading the international acceptance and proliferation of manga in the west.

And frankly, I enjoy his work. So there.

Too bad I can't fly across the country to go to Otakon, but maybe someday...
Shale

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Has Fred even missed an Otakon since Megatokyo took off? All this says to me is "we couldn't get a big name to make a special appearance, so we picked our most popular regular."
DKL

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Which reminds me...

I need to catch up with the comic; it's been a while.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Well, it would be nice to see American comics represented at an anime con. Just wish it wasn't Megatokyo. I know it has its fans, but I never got it.

Still, this is an American web comic. It's not manga, no matter what him or his rebid Japanophile fans say. Plus it's now being published by CMX. At least Dark Horse had the inteligence not to call it manga when they published the first volumes. I guess Fred is too much of a weeaboo to be published by a comics company. He wants to maintain this pseudo manga status. So he went to a pseudo manga company. Do I need to start about how mixed up CMX was and perhaps still is? Anyone else remember the Tenjo Tenge fiasco?

I'm somewhat disapointed at Otakon. I hope they still have some real manga creators. Though even then, last year's Hirano 'signing' and panel and even the Hellsing movie premeire was totally mismanaged and the con was not prepared for the fans that showed up.

Alternatively, if they have someone like Fred, they better open the gates to other manga influenced comics creators. You have creators like Adam Warren, Becky Cloonan (who was in artist alley a couple of years ago), or Chynna Clugston. I'd love to see some of those people there.

I've loved their artist alley and all the web comics and artists they feature. I bought a bunch of awesome comics last year and I hope to again this year. I know I got stuff from Mac Hall and Clone Army. (Then again I think Dan Kim calls his stuff manga, but he doesn't make as big an issue of it.)

Not sure if my friend with the webcomic is going to have a booth at Otakon this year. I think he said it was too much of a hassle or that it cost too much and it just wasn't worth it . Another friend has a prop booth and I know he's going.
miji

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:06 pm Reply with quote
On the Otakon site it just says he's a guest, not a guest of honor. Not that I care either way. I can't wait to see who else is coming though. Vic Mignogna and Jennifer Sekiguchi are the best announcements so far, for me at least Smile .
jvowles
Otakon Representative

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:10 am Reply with quote
Here is the text of the announcement I posted to Otakon's website and RSS newsfeed the other day:

"We're happy to announce that Megatokyo's Fred Gallagher will join us for Otakon 2007."

I'm not sure why the person who posted the article to ANN added "guest of honor" to the notice, or where anyone the idea that it's a special GOH status just for Fred -- we announced him basically the same way we have every year he's been part of the lineup.

We simply don't distinguish between "levels" of guest. You're either a guest or you aren't.

Fred is a guest because he writes and draws the most successful manga-style, asian-pop-culture-centered comic out there. He consistently fills large panel rooms and he's constantly requested by our members.

There are precious few really successful manga-inspired american comics, and fewer still who've got the audience in both web AND print that Megatokyo does.

I'd also note that Fred doesn't profess to be a manga-ka, nor claim MT to be anything other than manga-inspired.

-Jim Vowles
Guest, Industry, and Press Relations, Otakon 2007
jvowles
Otakon Representative

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:14 am Reply with quote
miji wrote:
On the Otakon site it just says he's a guest, not a guest of honor. Not that I care either way. I can't wait to see who else is coming though. Vic Mignogna and Jennifer Sekiguchi are the best announcements so far, for me at least Smile .

Glad you're happy with the list so far. Vic and Jennifer and Mike are going to be joined by some more folks soon....I think you'll be happy with the Japanese guest list, too, when we start announcing them. (Won't be long now!)
jvowles
Otakon Representative

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:29 am Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:

I'm somewhat disapointed at Otakon. I hope they still have some real manga creators. Though even then, last year's Hirano 'signing' and panel and even the Hellsing movie premeire was totally mismanaged and the con was not prepared for the fans that showed up.

Actually, we weren't prepared for Hirano to suddenly decide to start doing sketches for everyone. And as for the premier, I disagree that it was "totally mismanaged" -- though I'll agree that we guessed wrong on the draw. You never really know with those things, and we have to schedule months in advance.

We're working on better management for the autograph lines, with some new ideas coming into play this year.
Ergzay

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:35 am Reply with quote
This is all somewhat funny in my case. As he happens to live in the same city I live in, Ann Arbor, Michigan (well I don't live directly IN that city but very very close, about 10 minutes away). I went and saw him at Wizzywig when he announced he was going on his website. Its just strange as this was a _very_ small group in a small store. (about 50-100 people tops, and most were there for the cosplay contest).
Oh the irony of it all.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:52 am Reply with quote
Wow - Fred Gallagher!

Maybe they'll even spring for Piano Squall!

Otakon sure knows how to show con-goers a good time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
jvowles
Otakon Representative

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:12 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Wow - Fred Gallagher!

Maybe they'll even spring for Piano Squall!

Otakon sure knows how to show con-goers a good time.

Your failed attempt at snarky humor has been noted and filed.

You are of course welcome to miss the con if you're unhappy with the eventual guest list. Though we'll miss that unflappably positive attitude you'll clearly bring to whatever you do.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3