• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Otakon Announces Fred Gallagher as Guest of Honor

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DKL

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:20 pm Reply with quote
I'm not going (I can't, but I wish I could), but isn't this the con that Masao Maruyama usually attends?

Damn, I'd sure like to get his autograph on something...

Anywho, yeah... uhh... planning to screen any movies?
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Personally, while I enjoy MT, I'm not I'm not excited by Fred Gallagher being a guest at Otakon. I've been to a couple of his panels, and they quite frankly don't interest me. The MT gang works quite hard to turn their panels into "shows" and that's not what I'm looking for.

However, not only can I not fault Otakon for bringing Gallagher in as a guest, but I think it would have been stupid of them not to take advantage of the opportunity.

As I said, the MT gang turns the panels into shows, and from what I've experienced, most of those present really appreciate and enjoy the "show." Additionally, Megatokyo is very popular, and it's fanbase is very devoted. Typically, during the guest announcements, Gallagher will receive more applause than most Japanese guests. This applause is a legitimate barometer of what the convention attendees want, and the convention attendees are the people that the convention has to cater to.

What's more, there's no difference in inviting Fred Gallagher or a similarly popular Japanese manga creator. To state that a guest is inferior or superior due to the country they come from, is pure an utter rubish. As long as the guest is topical (bringing a Japanese live-action star who has never worked on anime anime related show would be non-topical), and appreciated by the attendees, then the guest is valid. Gallagher certainly is topical, and he certainly is appreciated.

It's well known that I have no great love for OEL manga, it's not that I dislike the concept, but rather I dislike the fact that so much of it is made to pander to a market (meaning that the creator doesn't chose the manga style because it's "natural" for them, but rather because manga is popular) , and the fact that the publishing standards appear, IMHO, to be lowered for this material. However, as long as an OEL (or world-manga) creator is popular enough to warrant being a guest at an anime con, I not only accept that they should be invited, but I encourage that they should be invited.

Currently Gallagher is the most popular OEL creator out there, far more popular that the second most popular active creator (Svetlana Chmakova I think, but the argument could be made for Segamu (Kurt Hassler) or M. Alice LeGrow).

-t
jsyxx

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:02 pm Reply with quote
I don't understand why anyone gives a rat's keister about Megatokyo, but then again most things that are popular are sucky and generic.

I don't know maybe since Otakon is paying respect to obvious, witless online comics, they could pull for some more significant z-list celebrities, maybe former WWF star, Virgil, or the guy who played the voice of Alf. Laughing

Last edited by jsyxx on Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:36 pm Reply with quote
J-Syxx wrote:
I don't understand why anyone gives a rat's keister about Megatokyo, but then again most things that are popular are sucky and generic.

His artwork never gets past the "Sketch" stage, people have noted that the comic seems to be an "Extension" of himself and his Fiance (READ: otaku-kin, only in webcomic form), with the noteable example being.....well, if you've seen their real-life picture vs. the characters.....
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Ergzay wrote:
This is all somewhat funny in my case. As he happens to live in the same city I live in, Ann Arbor, Michigan (well I don't live directly IN that city but very very close, about 10 minutes away). I went and saw him at Wizzywig when he announced he was going on his website. Its just strange as this was a _very_ small group in a small store. (about 50-100 people tops, and most were there for the cosplay contest).
Oh the irony of it all.

He lives in Ann Arbor?
I didn't know that at all. I guess i'll have to hit Wizzywig more often.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Ranmah

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:08 am Reply with quote
Fred always draws a crowd. One year (2003) he out drew TM Revolution in one of our large panels. I was one of the Videography monkies taping the show.

I'm trying, but unsuccessfully to go to Otakon this year.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
domino

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:26 pm Reply with quote
I guess my main "problem" with him is not that he draws a garbage webcomic (I can easily choose not to read it), but the crowds he draws. Sure, it's in a con's best interest to invite people who will draw a big crowd, and I don't MIND a big crowd, but the thing that bothers me (and many friends) the most about Megatokyo is the fans it produces.

Almost every single Megatokyo fan I've ever met in real life OR online has been generally intolerable. They take that CRAAAAAZZZY otaku-ness they see in the comic and apply it to real life and go around sputtering l337-speak and DDR-related jokes while stuffing Pocky into their faces. These loud, annoying over-the-top otaku are giant walking balls of everything I hate about the American anime fandom.

I had the displeasure of being in a line for something at A-Kon a few years back that was wrapping around a line for Fred Gallagher's autograph. The line was full of rowdy cat ear-wearing "glompy" pre-teens and socially defunct 20-somethings engaging in conversation so full of meaningless internet-isms that it pained me to listen. I finally got curious and asked them what they were in line for, and their answer didn't surprise me at all.

Whoops, this comment somehow turned into a lengthy rant for something I could've summed up in one sentence: Megatokyo doesn't bother me at all; it's its fans that drive me insane.
orangereel

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:55 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Wow - Fred Gallagher!

Maybe they'll even spring for Piano Squall!

Otakon sure knows how to show con-goers a good time.

:/ Piano Squall is a talented pianist who plays music for charity. I always have a great time watching him perform. He's good-natured, treats the audience well, and has positive stage presence and energy.

Comparing him to Fred Gallagher is just uncalled for.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Well, I guess that Fred is just another featured webcomic guest (as in years before) and not the guest of honor sounds much better. Really not much of a news bit then.

jvowles wrote:
The Xenos wrote:

I'm somewhat disapointed at Otakon. I hope they still have some real manga creators. Though even then, last year's Hirano 'signing' and panel and even the Hellsing movie premeire was totally mismanaged and the con was not prepared for the fans that showed up.

Actually, we weren't prepared for Hirano to suddenly decide to start doing sketches for everyone. And as for the premier, I disagree that it was "totally mismanaged" -- though I'll agree that we guessed wrong on the draw. You never really know with those things, and we have to schedule months in advance.

We're working on better management for the autograph lines, with some new ideas coming into play this year.

Ah. Thanks for the info and clarifacation. As annoying as the situation was, I can understand what a hassle it is do deal with all the people. Then again, you didn't have to stand behind a Nazi werewolf for hours, did you? Heh. I guess the line was an experience in itself.

Depending on what friends are doing, I'll likley be going to Otakon anyway. As I said, some friends already have a vendor booth there. So even if the guests don't pique my interest, there's always just hanging out with them at their booth.
jvowles
Otakon Representative

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:14 am Reply with quote
DKL wrote:
I'm not going (I can't, but I wish I could), but isn't this the con that Masao Maruyama usually attends?

Damn, I'd sure like to get his autograph on something...

Anywho, yeah... uhh... planning to screen any movies?

Almost certainly, but that's not my department. I know of one, but you'll hear about it eventually when the time's right (assuming nothing changes).

And yes, Maruyama-san has been a frequent guest at Otakon for many years now. He's one of the most respected folks in the industry, and we're very lucky to have him as a great friend of the con.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:57 am Reply with quote
We're entitled to our opinion on Gallagher. For me, I love his series.
Jim3001

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Why do people hate Fred so much? He makes a decent comic and frankly I like it. I met him last year at Otakon and he's nice guy. I think he gets hated because he makes aliving off his comic, which (despite what some of you say) is actually very successful.
Livre

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:52 am Reply with quote
I used to love Megatokyo, but I now I just feel hate for it. I still read it, but that's to find out what happens to a few characters.

My main issues with the series are:
1) The updates. He was updating more when he was working full-time as an architect then he is now. And the excuses and delays seem a little whiny to me. You have comics like CAD and Questionable Content who are update more than Megatokyo, and nearly always on time.
2) The Plot. After Caston left, the plot seemed to consist of the characters moping and running away from each other. (Although that's a whole other kettle of fish). While I love shoujo, lately it feels as though I'm reading someone's livejournal.

But those are just my thoughts.

Oh yeah, and I love Piano Squall (although I've never seen him live).
Regari

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:42 am Reply with quote
Livre: His update speed is quite good, some art styles are more mood dependant than others, art is a personal thing and can't be so easily related in process to another's work.
I fear starting a web comic because my updates would be maybe one a week if I was lucky ^^;

Abarenbo Shogun: It is called personal style =)
my art is quite sketchy aswell, maybe he likes his that way too.

J-Syxx: Some people don't understand Multiplication, that obviously means that math is pointless and that no one should bother learning it doesn't it?
=P

And to people that are all mad that Fred is supposedly claiming his work is manga when it isn't.
Maybe you should pay attention to Fred himself, not the people that chose to call it manga ( he has stated in a rant that he believes other wise =/ )
Philweasel

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:44 am Reply with quote
Fred seems as bemused about this as anyone...

http://www.megatokyo.com/
Quote:
Oh, and i understand that there was a bit of a flap over the announcement on ANN that I was announced as a "Guest of Honor" at this year's Otakon. First off, i feel and have always felt privileged to be invited as a simple guest to Otakon (or any convention, honestly). Secondly, ANN just used the term "Guest of Honor" a little loosely in its report (i do very much appreciate the news item, my attendance to cons is not always reported on Smile. Otakon has invited me as a "Guest," not as a "Guest of Honor." Some conventions call all guests 'guests of honor', and others Call all guests "Guests". To me, the label 'Guest of Honor' is really something that is reserved for really big guests, like Koge Donbo or Akamatsu Ken or someone like that. I don't fall into that category by any stretch Smile I can guarantee that there will be far more interesting and notable guests at Otakon this year than me. Razz Besides, You could hardly call me a 'guest of honor' at a convention i've been attending off and on for the past six years Razz

The part of this whole flap that annoys me is not the people who say i suck and think Megatokyo is horrible wanabee "manga" crap, it is the assertion that some people make about how I am puffed up and full of myself, touting myself as a big manga artist and whatnot.

Uh... hello?

Where the hell do people get the impression that i represent myself that way? It's not may fault that there are fans who tout Megatokyo as a great webcomic and a pretty decent example of "manga" made by an American manga-influenced creator. You can bitch and moan about the undeserved good things that others say about me and argue that you think they are wrong, that's perfectly natural. Don't accuse me of being full of myself. Some people seem to assume that successful people are full of themselves, especially if you feel that their success is undeserved. I think that's an unfair assumption.

If anything, i downplay the success of Megatokyo. The times that i do exhibit a tiny little bit of pride in how well Megatokyo has done are based on real facts, like this very interesting article by Brian Hibbs on Newsarama on the Bookscan numbers from 2006. When looking at the bookstore sales numbers for DC Comics as a whole "...DC's #4 book is one I actually have over in the manga category ・the 4th volume of Megatokyo." (Note that is for DC Comics as a whole, not just CMX.)

Yeah, i know they probably sell a hell of a lot more monthlies for their main properties, as well as a different sent of sales numbers to the direct market... but I don't think the performance of Megatokyo in the book market is something I should be ashamed of. -_-

Anyways, enough of that Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3