• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gedo Senki DVD Information Announced

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:19 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The regular edition costs 4,935 yen (appx. $41.50 USD), while the collector's edition has a price of 7,875 yen ($66.25 USD).

For a movie that's not really suppose to be all that good (I've heard the backgrounds are amazing though) it's a bit hard to swallow that giant price tag.....but then again with English Subtitles and it looking like Gedo Senki isn't going to be available for the R1 for some time, I'd might have to get this or at least hope someone at my club gets it.
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:02 pm Reply with quote
I was gonna say I'll import it, since I'm that much of a Ghibli whore, until I remembered I dont have a R-free DVD player, and I'm not about to buy one anytime soon. Guess II wait until the R1 DVD comes out.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Ghibli's films tend to get heavily discounted since they are so popular. Definitely shop around online for this DVD and you might be able to find it for a little more than the eventual R1 release.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Subsequently, you can also wait for the eventual UK or Australian releases and import those for much less.
Eruanna

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:41 pm Reply with quote
AWSOME, I am so glad they are putting english subs on this one, I might just import it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
holl.e.rama

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:07 am Reply with quote
DragonsRevenge wrote:
I was gonna say I'll import it, since I'm that much of a Ghibli whore, until I remembered I don't have a R-free DVD player, and I'm not about to buy one anytime soon. Guess II wait until the R1 DVD comes out.

If you get the free VLC player on your computer you should be able to play DVDs of any region :3 But unless you're really gung-ho about seeing this movie, it wouldn't hurt to wait for the R1 release.
mjgeo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:02 am Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
Subsequently, you can also wait for the eventual UK or Australian releases and import those for much less.

Just on that, the UK and Aus releases would be in PAL (not NTSC), which means your DVD player would need to be region free and be able to play PAL, and your TV would need to be able to play PAL.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:05 am Reply with quote
mjgeo wrote:
and your TV would need to be able to play PAL.

I tend to buy may R2 PAL discs (Blake's7, Spaced, Black Books, etc.) As long as you have a DVD player that can convert PAL discs it will output a NTSC signal. Some of these players go for really cheap. The cheaper ones have more noticeable frame drops resulting in a jerky motion. My OPPO does a much better job playing PAL discs compared to my JVC and I would recommend it for anyone looking for a good PAL machine.

A good video processor should be able to accept a raw 576i PAL signal which some players can output. This would result in a really good upconverted 1080i/p signal.I'm ordering my DVDO VP30 this month and might post my results in PAL to NTSC conversion.
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The regular edition will contain a disc of the film with English and Japanese dialog and subtitles...

What? Are they sure this is going to come with an English dubbed version? I thought they never produced an English version of this movie. If they did does anyone know what country did the dub because I know it wasn't done in America.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Romuska wrote:
does anyone know what country did the dub because I know it wasn't done in America.

How do you know?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 5:20 pm Reply with quote
My R2 of Howl's Moving Castle (imported from Japan) included both a dub and subtitles. I know all current R2 releases of Ghibli Movies at least include subtitles. But most (if only Howl's) do not have a dub. I'm pretty sure the voice over production of this was either done by or financed by Buena Vista studios, probably done in the US and the voice over track sent to Japan for final pressing of the release edition.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Past wrote:
My R2 of Howl's Moving Castle (imported from Japan) included both a dub and subtitles. I know all current R2 releases of Ghibli Movies at least include subtitles. But most (if only Howl's) do not have a dub. I'm pretty sure the voice over production of this was either done by or financed by Buena Vista studios, probably done in the US and the voice over track sent to Japan for final pressing of the release edition.

Actually, looking at the R2 DVD releases, it's about half-half for which ones have a dub and which ones don't (including Earthsea, and Grave of the Fireflies which was released under a different distributor).
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
Actually, looking at the R2 DVD releases, it's about half-half for which ones have a dub and which ones don't (including Earthsea, and Grave of the Fireflies which was released under a different distributor).

Oh wow, that many, really? Although I'm sure you only mean R2 NTSC disks right? Because I'm not interested in PAL, I don't need to worry about a PAL conversion when I can simply play any NTSC DVD of any region.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Past wrote:
Steventheeunuch wrote:

Oh wow, that many, really? Although I'm sure you only mean R2 NTSC disks right? Because I'm not interested in PAL, I don't need to worry about a PAL conversion when I can simply play any NTSC DVD of any region.

Yeah, I'm not talking about PAL. I'm also not taking in to account complimations of shorts or music videos or anything either. However the subtitles on Totoro are somewhat dubtitles apparently, and the dubs on a few releases (rosso, laputa, totoro) are different than the Disney counterparts.
Ranmah

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:38 pm Reply with quote
another item to add to my collection. I might as well keep buying the Ghibli R2 DVDs. I really doubt there will be a US R1 release. Unless Scifi accepts the buyout.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2