• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What's your opinion on Aniplex of America?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What's your opinion on Aniplex of America?
I love them and wish they'd license and release more shows!
13%
 13%  [ 17 ]
They're good but I wish the releases weren't so expensive.
40%
 40%  [ 52 ]
They're okay, don't really dislike them at this point.
16%
 16%  [ 21 ]
I dislike most of their shows but some are good.
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
Hate them because of their prices.
13%
 13%  [ 17 ]
I hate them so much I wish they'd go bankrupt and leave the North American market so other companies handle the licenses.
14%
 14%  [ 19 ]
Total Votes : 127

Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Shiratori1 wrote:
Keonyn wrote:
Yeah, debates don't work that way. Please start contributing to the actual discussion/debate.

I wasn't actually being serious in that post (it was a joke). You know, the kind of thing that YOU were criticizing ME for not being able to "handle" in other forum topics. Rolling Eyes

How was anybody supposed to understand you were "joking?" Do you understand how humour works? Quoting two posters and then writing the word "debatable" followed by a rolly-eye emoticon doesn't exactly scream, "ha ha, just joking around here, guys!" Rolling Eyes
Ignatz

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Shiratori1 wrote:
a joke

TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Ignatz wrote:
Shiratori1 wrote:
a joke

No, because that would mean it was funny Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:09 pm Reply with quote
No, see guys, it's new wave post-modern meta humor. By posting something that is not funny at all and not even a joke by any conventional definition, and then claiming it is, he is actually satirizing the stark lack of humor in our electronic, post-objective, modern world. His contradiction serves to call attention to the constructed nature of "humor" as a metaphysical entity and leads us to reevaluate it. You ask: "How is that a joke?" and he responds "How is anything?" And in the face of such staggering epistemological uncertainty, we can only laugh.

Well, either that or he's just an idiot.
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:48 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
No, see guys, it's new wave post-modern meta humor. By posting something that is not funny at all and not even a joke by any conventional definition, and then claiming it is, he is actually satirizing the stark lack of humor in our electronic, post-objective, modern world. His contradiction serves to call attention to the constructed nature of "humor" as a metaphysical entity and leads us to reevaluate it. You ask: "How is that a joke?" and he responds "How is anything?" And in the face of such staggering epistemological uncertainty, we can only laugh.

Well, either that or he's just an idiot.

The person is annoying!!! I had to deal with this person multiple time.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ColonelYao47

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:04 am Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
I love AoA's releases. When it comes to watching anime, I'm happy to merely watch it on Crunchyroll, Netflix, Funimation.com or Hulu. I have zero interest in having a wall covered in cheap DVDs for shows that I liked, but only watched once.

However when I really like an anime, I do want to buy it, and I don't want some cheap shit $19.95 clam-shell + disc. I want something nice. AoA puts out nice products, and on the rare occasions where I really want to own a show, I'm happy to pay AoA's prices in return for the high quality product.

Pretty much the exact same for NISA, although I find that NISA often delivers a slightly better bang for your buck, but it's the same principal.

-t

I'll admit, up until February of 2012, I did not think highly of Aniplex of America. I was frustrated by their high prices, considering it an "unnecessary barrier". Even today, I still won't cave to shows that I don't consider an absolute favorite or titles I never saw before. In particular, the lack of not being able to legally stream Garden of Sinners is really getting on my nerves. I was simply happy to own shows that I "liked".

Then, I saw Madoka Magica and absolutely fell in love. I watched and rewatched it. I read many news articles about it. I wore silly hats in public as a display of devotion for it. I treasure my physical copies and recently gave Madoka its own little shelf. Honestly, I probably have an unhealthy obsession with this title.

Then, a funny thing happened. Titles that I own but didn't love suddenly felt out of place. After setting up shelves for Madoka, Evangelion, and Steins;Gate (the other titles that I love on THAT level), it turned out that there were very few titles other than those three that I wanted to keep at all. I'm currently going through the selection process and clearing out titles that didn't fulfill my ridiculously high standards. Ownership of a show means a lot more to me now than it did two years ago. It's a real hassle to have all this stuff cluttered around the house and only a select few titles deserve that distinction.

Reflecting on these thoughts, I think it's fair to say that Aniplex titles go through my most difficult tests with their prices for good reason. It's a true gauge of just how much I really like a title. If there is any hesitation, I should pass on the title and move on. Fate/Zero is a perfect example. I won't deny its brilliance but there's something missing, something about this work that leaves me feeling "cold". If I have to think about whether I want it, I shouldn't own it. On the other hand, the two titles I've seen this year that really left an impression, Nausicaa and Wolf Children, are on my to-buy list. The only reason why I haven't already ordered them is because I'm currently making a new tablet my financial priority. I should point out that Madoka and Steins;Gate-related items are what have prevented me from buying my tablet for eight months now.

It took me a while to realize this but I genuinely appreciate what Aniplex has done for anime fans. Every decision with one of their titles involves a little soul-searching. For the vast majority, I'll pass on buying them and, in some cases, really become aggravated. To go back to Garden of Sinners, for all I know, that might be on that special level in my heart. Until I find out, it's not worth my time. Just know that if I come across another title that has me spellbound, if it's an Aniplex title, I know I can count on them to make a release worthy of display of my affection. Incidentally, what they're doing with the theatrical release of the new Madoka movie is something that can't be done by any other North American anime company. As someone that loves Madoka, I couldn't be happier that it's in the hands of Aniplex of America.
eragon2890

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:19 pm Reply with quote
I love anybody who releases titleslike highschool dxd and queen´s blade and other ecchi fun times... and that was not aniplex was it? Anime hyper
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:57 pm Reply with quote
eragon2890 wrote:
I love anybody who releases titleslike highschool dxd and queen´s blade and other ecchi fun times... and that was not aniplex was it? Anime hyper

vividred operation
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:18 am Reply with quote
Eh, you can't really consider Operation Vividred as an ecchi title - certainly not on the level of High School DxD or Queen's Blade, both of which feature abundant breastural nudity.

Notwithstanding that, OV did feature some pretty great rearview camel-toe.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:14 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Eh, you can't really consider Operation Vividred as an ecchi title - certainly not on the level of High School DxD or Queen's Blade, both of which feature abundant breastural nudity.

Notwithstanding that, OV did feature some pretty great rearview camel-toe.

it's not abundant, bu the DVD/BD releases added some "breastural nudity".
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:21 am Reply with quote
Didn't know that, but the overall point still stands: if High School DxD and Queen's Blade are your rulers for what constitutes ecchi, then OV is going to come up short. Are you prepared to at least concede that, you contentious bastard?

Wink
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Didn't know that, but the overall point still stands: if High School DxD and Queen's Blade are your rulers for what constitutes ecchi, then OV is going to come up short. Are you prepared to at least concede that, you contentious bastard?

Wink

you have bested me once again.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:12 pm Reply with quote
It would be more appropriate to say he has "breasted" you once again. Shocked
Shadowkin58

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Sometimes I wish they wouldn't license the shows I like, otherwise I would have a lot more anime DVD's and blurays
Amara Tenoh

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:40 am Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:
I love Aniplex of America. I'm friends with all of the folks that work for them in Santa Monica. I own all of their products, and they are the pride and joy of my small collection of R1 discs. Keep up the great work! Smile

One question. Do you actually buy all the AoA products out of your own pocket or does AoA give you a discount on them or just give you them all for free?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5