• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
FUNimation has liscensed Jigoku Shoujo

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CloverKuroba

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:19 am Reply with quote
Apparently at Sakura-Con, FUNImation has announced Jigoku Shoujo (link: http://news.toonzone.net/article.php?ID=16385)
This is sorta suprising because JS doesn't seem very mainstream, but I guess with the liscensing of Mushishi, it's more possible now to liscense "niche" titles.

I saw one episode subbed and it was very interesting, but very depressing. It's subtle, but scary. The "deal" that the hell girl abides to is unnerving to say the least.

So what are your thoughts on FUNImation's new liscense?
hentai4me

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:36 am Reply with quote
I know a fair number of people think that it is 'good but a bit dull and repetitive'

I loved the series, more from a malicious desire to dream up my own revenge against people myself rather than anything else. the series sparked the...unpleasant side of my imagination...much like the Shion/Mion torture arc in HNNKN
CloverKuroba

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:42 am Reply with quote
I first thought that it would be cool to see someone get revenge. I mean, everyone has wanted to see a person they hated fall down a ditch. The bully did deserve it, but then when I saw the innocent would also have consequences too, I felt kind of bad. But I do suppose this isn't a romanticized version of revenge. If you hurt someone, you will have to deal with the consequences.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:56 am Reply with quote
hentai4me wrote:
I know a fair number of people think that it is 'good but a bit dull and repetitive'

I'm one of those people.

I loved the series when I saw the first 4-5 episodes, but I got tired of the same ol' "conflicted/abused victim --> gets mad --> summons Jigoku Shoujo --> source of victim's pain goes to Hell" cycle.

Excellent production values aside and some good voice acting, I just felt the series would've been better in 13 episodes, or if 26, they could've at least diversified the types of "revenge" like spoiler[ the episode with the doll, the crazy guy who was stalking the nurse, or Jigoku Shounen]. I liked it when they spoiler[ put Hajime and Tsugumi into the plot and tied it into Enma's past with those flashbacks and stuff towards the end as well].

But yeah, it was dull in the sense that those other 15-18 episodes of the same thing weren't all that creative. I mean, at least get gruesome. Cut some limbs off, impale someone, or do a better job mind raping these cretins instead of just a few dillusional tricks by Honne Onna and Ren, Wanyuudou's "will you repent?" line, and Enma's "ippen, shinde miru?" *raises arm*.

I like the series enough to buy it, but unless they're doing Limited Editions for each volume or something (which better have very worthwile extras or packaging), then I'd rather just wait for a box set or some kind of clearance sale.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
I loved the series when I saw the first 4-5 episodes, but I got tired of the same ol' "conflicted/abused victim --> gets mad --> summons Jigoku Shoujo --> source of victim's pain goes to Hell" cycle.

Excellent production values aside and some good voice acting, I just felt the series would've been better in 13 episodes, or if 26.....

That's basically my thoughts on the series I really like the first few episodes that I checked out but after seeing that the pattern of this series repeats over and over it became quite tiring....in fact I feel the same about House.

I think your point about making this a 13 episode series makes more sense, but I mean this show goes on forever. And not only that it got a second season! 52 episodes? Seriously? I don't know if the second season gets good but dang....and there's even a live action version. Rolling Eyes Yet my dear Monster is just sitting there unlicensed.

Happy Easter.
Clodus

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 2:07 pm Reply with quote
my thoughts on this is that it wasnt a good pick on funimation's part. there are several other titles that have much better potential for being licensed. one that comes to mind is code geass. while i have seen the season one of jigoku shoujo its as said earlier, the story is very much repetative although near 3/4ths of the end spoiler[you start to see a little bit more of enma ai's past and why she became hell girl]. i rated it a very good as the stories do get more interesting towards the end and have slightly more variation. i have heard season 2 was way better but i have yet to see it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Those idiots. Why did they go for a trash title instead of Ouran fudging Host Club?! -.-;

I know FUNimation is my favourite company and all, but they've been too cowardly to actually puny up their funds to get a *truely* risky property and are just posing around with small stuff. It's so depressing to hear FUNimation license nothing impressive since Otakon last year yet not actually release that very impressive title (School Rumble).

Is this a result of "corporate privilege"? I would say so.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 2:35 pm Reply with quote
I agree with Tony and hentai4me. I haven't seen the anime version, but I read through the manga, which basically had the same thing going for each chapter/episode. We could use something every once in a while where there's a different theme, but I don't know if I want to go through the whole series to try and find that when you know what you're going to through for the first half of the series, if not all the way to the end.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 2:52 pm Reply with quote
talk about interesting timing. the series just ended, and it had quite the shocking finale.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 2:56 pm Reply with quote
I assume they licensed the first series before the second, and that ended ages ago.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Mephistophilus

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 4:53 pm Reply with quote
I'll have to stick with Tony and co. with the attitude of slight disappointment on this one. From what I saw of this title, it was interesting for a little while, but it got repetitive as the others stated. Funi did seem to go for a title that was not quite worth it for most fans, and I'm sure a lot of us would have liked them to pick up something like Ouran in its stead. Oh well, can't really be helped now.
Mylene

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 4:56 pm Reply with quote
I didn't mind the repetitive nature until things just got a little lame. Being strong bullied, stalked, etc...good reasons for revenge and being willing to pay the price. spoiler[Your dog dying?] Not so much. spoiler[Yes, I get that she was an orphan or whatever and that's all she really had, but still. It's a pet. I was very, very attached to my pets as a child (which is why I don't have any now), but I would not be willing to go to hell just to avenge them.] Then again, I don't think I would go for revenge in the first place, it's not really my thing. Having someone sent to hell to stop something I'd consider, but to get back at someone for doing something...no. Just goes against my nature.

ANYWAY! I will be buying this series, although I'll likely try to get it on the cheap, just because it wasn't that great of a series. It had some cool moments, and early on the concept of the Hell Girl was pretty cool, but as TK said, it really should have been 13 episodes.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Remember few the 'clients' are adults and childen are not well known for considering the full consequences of their actions.
The dog episode actually had one of the best bits of tormenting as I recall.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
CloverKuroba

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Malintex Terek wrote:
Those idiots. Why did they go for a trash title instead of Ouran fudging Host Club?! -.-;

I know FUNimation is my favourite company and all, but they've been too cowardly to actually puny up their funds to get a *truely* risky property and are just posing around with small stuff. It's so depressing to hear FUNimation license nothing impressive since Otakon last year yet not actually release that very impressive title (School Rumble).

Is this a result of "corporate privilege"? I would say so.

I agree. While I only watched Jigoku Shoujo once, I don't like the horror genre and it seems really repetitive. Why is it taking so long for Ouran to get pick up!? I'm dissapointed because I know FUNI could do a good job on Ouran High School Host Club.
I'm also waiting for School Rumble which still has an unknown release date.
Mylene

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:

The dog episode actually had one of the best bits of tormenting as I recall.

There were actually 2 dog episodes. One I felt was good, the other was weak. The revenges for revenge got weaker as the show went on, it seemed to me. Although Enma's story was very interesting.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3