• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japanese Government Hires Detective Conan for PR Campaign

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
10円

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
In the pamphlet, the father of Conan's girlfriend is traveling abroad when his luggage and passport gets stolen and he gets caught in an apparent riot with gunshots. The ministry saves the day by issuing a new passport and informing him that "Country A" is just celebrating a festival with firecrackers.

Getting a passport replaced is nothing to worry about so long as your home country has an embassy or consulate somewhere in the country you're visiting. As for mistaking revelers with firecrackers for rioters with guns, well, what's up with that? The one true problem, the missing luggage, doesn't seem to get any attention at all based on the synopsis. Sounds like a waste of $40,000USD to me.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
"Detective Conan Investigates the Ministry of Foreign Affairs!"

That sounds like a Monty Python sketch.
Proman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Detective Conan just officially sold out... and became a "dog of the Goverment" Laughing !

How sad.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Mistaking a festival for a riot is a little weird but then again there is the Running of the Bulls and the Tomato throwing Festivals...so who am I to say.

As for Detective Conan selling out...Well, like the article said, it's aimed for Elementary and Junior High kids. Most of whom probably do not know what the Foreign Ministry does. Using a familiar manga character to explain what the FM is for and does probably helps. Plus, it's a great recruiting tool for future workers.

I think that it's rather clever.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:56 pm Reply with quote
10円 wrote:
Getting a passport replaced is nothing to worry about so long as your home country has an embassy or consulate somewhere in the country you're visiting.

Most countries only allow you to lose x passports. (2 within 5 years for example) after that, you're placed on a security list and have to go through extra hassle to get a passport and enter the country.

So losing a passport isn't exactly "nothing to worry about," but it's true that it isn't that big of a deal.

-t
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:38 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
That sounds like a Monty Python sketch.

Basically I thinking the same thing when I heard that, it reminds me of Clifford the big Red Dog teaching fire safety.

10円 wrote:
The one true problem, the missing luggage, doesn't seem to get any attention at all based on the synopsis.

Lost luggage is by far the worse problem I have with the airport, the rules that are not enforced are more of a problem then anything else. As for losing your passport it can certainly be a hassle and a half, but I don't know understand how you lose that. It only the most important to have when your traveling, you think that you keep that very close to you.....
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:15 pm Reply with quote
This is a fairly gigantic waste of money.
Proman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:31 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
As for Detective Conan selling out...

In case it wasn't obvious, I was being sarcastic Wink .
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Proman wrote:
LydiaDianne wrote:
As for Detective Conan selling out...

In case it wasn't obvious, I was being sarcastic Wink .

Oh, I know. Wink Very Happy But, it was something that needed to be said by both of us because you know darn good and well that others were thinking it! Very Happy
10円

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:37 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
Most countries only allow you to lose x passports. (2 within 5 years for example) after that, you're placed on a security list and have to go through extra hassle to get a passport and enter the country.

I see no problem with that whatsoever. Lose it once, here you go. Lose it twice, better come sit down and have a nice long chat. People who make a habit of losing documents that could become instruments of fraud or worse should have to explain themselves. Getting a passport and replacing a passport are both extremely easy for Americans; you can even get one issued in a matter of hours if you're willing to show up in person and can provide legitimate proof of need.

Deltakiral wrote:
Lost luggage is by far the worse problem I have with the airport, the rules that are not enforced are more of a problem then anything else.

Even if all the rules are enforced the penalties for negligence are far too small to cause most airlines any pain. That seems to be a surprisingly common theme here in America. Many mega-conglomerates are making more cash than ever before while tort reform ensures they pay less and less for any wrongs they commit. Losing your baggage has just become the cost of doing business. Eventually amputating the wrong leg or inoculating the wrong eye will be in a similar "oh well" category.

Deltakiral wrote:
As for losing your passport it can certainly be a hassle and a half, but I don't know understand how you lose that. It only the most important to have when your traveling, you think that you keep that very close to you.....

Did you ever know anyone who lost their wallet? People can lose their passports the same way. In some countries you can just leave it locked up nice and tight in your hotel's safe, but in other countries you have to carry it with you at all times or risk detention until somebody can go fetch it for you.
Inuyasha&Kyoaremine-N

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:57 am Reply with quote
I never read (or watched) Dective Conan but thats actualy a really good idea.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1