• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you reading right now? Why?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:26 am Reply with quote
Read vol.10 of Yondemasuyo, Azazel san. This is not a series to read on the train... I couldn't stop grinning. Too funny. Anime hyper They definitely can't animate this arc, LoL.
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Can I cheat and go back to the VNs again? This time, Phoenix Wright: Dual Destinies! Which I haven't finished, just through ep 2 btw. This did come out in the US pretty damn recently remember.

Anyway, I still must question a few things that the other games did not answer, namely: I'm an attorney, why am I doing the investigation? Why are there no police officers or security guards in this world? Why do they bother to go and do a chalk outline, then promptly not secure the area with tape and do a thorough investigation? They'll search the rest of the place and not find something, then not check the actual crime scene to find raging clues. It's like this scene from Life of Brian. Why do they not properly document evidence? OR why is some evidence documented well and other (more important ones) not? Why do they allow the prosecutor to be so obviously insane and openly badger the defense and judge? And in this game, spoiler[why do they allow the prosecutor to be a felon actively serving time who brings his badass hawk to court to harass the judge, defense, and witnesses]? Do they have no security guards at the freakin' courthouse itself? And why is there confetti waiting to be dropped for Not Guilty verdicts?

But I'm so willing to suspend the disbelief, well the lack of proper investigators is clearly so the player can do it, but damn do the other questions bug me after a play session. Then I shut up and keep playing because it's still fun! I'm still not sure why it's rated M though. Oh and I got a free costume pack, and you're not really missing anything if you wait too long to get it.

The models are clearly 3D this time, but they still look like they might as well be sprite based, and it's awesome! And there are anime cutscenes which are also very nicely done and frequent enough to always be shiny when you see them! Wasn't sure how I'd react to giving beloved characters English voices, but it's fine too. Oh but the 3D feature thing really doesn't do jack, but who the hell honestly plays 3DS games solely for games in 3D? And I do appreciate how the game can be played either entirely with touch or with buttons.

For fans of the series, do buy this! For newcomers, play the older games first methinks.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:51 am Reply with quote
Aishiteruze baby vol.3

I got it as part of my current plan to get every manga series im collecting complete as possible before getting any new series on the go as id like to be in a situation where im just getting new releases.

Anyhoo it was a good volume, im pretty familiar with child abuse (not personally but I've had a lot of foster brothers/sisters) and it was nice to see this story deal with the issue in way that wasn't too forceful as I don't think an extreme depiction of it would fit well with this story which is sweet at its core despite the less than happy circumstances the characters find themselves in.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:04 pm Reply with quote
I've started reading Kekkaishi. This is a long series and there's a lot of dialog. Anime dazed On the one hand it's good that it'll keep me busy for a while, but on the other hand... it's going to keep me busy for a while, LoL.
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:38 pm Reply with quote
^I know the feeling. On the plus side though, battles flow well, which does speed up the read a good bit.
Anyway, I point to it as more proof that women make the best shonen.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:25 am Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
^I know the feeling. On the plus side though, battles flow well, which does speed up the read a good bit.
Anyway, I point to it as more proof that women make the best shonen.

I really enjoyed the anime so I'm sure the manga will suck me in too. I keep hearing Yoshino Hiroyuki's voice when reading Yoshimori's lines. Anime hyper

I think the fact that it wasn't serialized in Jump also has something to do with it. ^_~
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:44 am Reply with quote
got a few volumes of that cos they were cheap (i find i do that alot) not started reading it yet but i liked the premise.

what I have been reading today was Dorohedoro vol.10. This is now Officially my 3rd favorite manga. i love the world, the art, the story and the characters its home runs clear across the board and I've been gagging for a while to get vol.10

cant wait for the next volume
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Kekkaishi's English dub did the incredibly distracting thing of using Edward Elric's exact voice, which is highly annoying and distracting to me. I know Vic can do other voices, why would Viz ask him to duplicate Ed Elric for this? I think it's fine for Ed Elric, but it should kind of stay there. I mean, what if we heard Mickey Mouse's voice coming out of Bugs Bunny? That would just be wrong.

Yeah, I feel like Kekkaishi overall got a bum rap in the states, I remember when adult swim got it, people were upset that they didn't get Soul Eater instead. Also, the anime does start off slowly (as does the manga), and not a lot of people wanted to stick around. It's a shame so many people inexplicably hated the series without really giving it a chance because I enjoyed it a lot. Though I've been with the manga pretty much since Viz started publishing it (I knew about it and started collecting it around when vol 4 or 5 came out), the spines are like a history of Viz's Shonen Sunday line, lol. For a while there, they were releasing like 3 vols a year, then, after it ended in Japan and probably due to being on TV, sped up to 6 vols a year towards the end there (yay, lucky me!)
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:06 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
Kekkaishi's English dub did the incredibly distracting thing of using Edward Elric's exact voice, which is highly annoying and distracting to me. I know Vic can do other voices, why would Viz ask him to duplicate Ed Elric for this? I think it's fine for Ed Elric, but it should kind of stay there. I mean, what if we heard Mickey Mouse's voice coming out of Bugs Bunny? That would just be wrong.

Good thing I don't watch dubs. I loved Yoshimori's character. The FACES he made were hilarious.

Quote:
Yeah, I feel like Kekkaishi overall got a bum rap in the states, I remember when adult swim got it, people were upset that they didn't get Soul Eater instead. Also, the anime does start off slowly (as does the manga), and not a lot of people wanted to stick around. It's a shame so many people inexplicably hated the series without really giving it a chance because I enjoyed it a lot.

That's too bad. It was a good series, and the further it progressed the more interesting it became.
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:11 am Reply with quote
Picked up a lot of manga in my last purchase, and picked up volume one of Monster Musume, which I read last night. A brief note of explanation. When I was in high school, I read the science fiction classic Hyperion Cantos, by Dan Simmons, a former teacher himself that riddles his plots with references to classical literature, including a lot of the works of the poet John Keats. As an impressionable young man, I was fascinated by the story of the tragic poet and his melancholy death, and proceeded to get my hands a complete collection of his poems, one of which was entitled 'Lamia' and was about a snake woman that falls in love with a mortal, only to have their love shattered when her secret is revealed and (this being a Greek tragedy) everyone dies in the end.

So when most people bought this manga because 'LOL BEWBS', I would like you to know that I read it because of classical poetry, m'kay?

Now, serious analysis. I've noticed a lot with otaku culture in Japan -- they'll come up with some really amazing original ideas, and the insert those ideas within the same damn unoriginal setting they've been doing for the last twenty years. What we have here is a man that falls in love with a monster girl. There is so much to explore there! From the basics differences in physiology, to social opinion, culture shock, digestive habits, familial structure, religion, sex, world views, there is so much to craft a story out of! And, between the !OMG BEWBS! moments, Monster Musume does do a little of this, in the first two chapters. Then, it's replaced with all-out harem building and violent slapstick. Now, if I were writing this, I'd dedicate it to monogamous relationships, have one guy fall for the lamia, another fall for the harpy, and his friend fall for the centauress. You could then spend your time delving deeper into the ideas listed above, and try to craft a serious romantic story.

One of my adages is "Novels are made by those can write, but can't draw; Manga is made by those can draw, but can't write; and Light Novels are made by those who can neither draw nor write." Okayado proves again my point. The artwork is quite fine (especially the lovely lady parts), but the dialogue is horrendous. Even the excellent translation work can't hide that fact. And the translation is rather good, although a bit shaky in the first chapter, but they really hit the stride by the time the centauress and her 'ye olde tyme' voice are introduced (although the number of horse puns are unfortunate).

Well, it is what I thought it is was. Lots of ecchi and stupid harem drama, enjoyable, but so much worse that what it could be. Ah, well, it was worth taking a waiver on.
phia_one

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:47 am Reply with quote
Decided to try out The Seven Deadly Sins and I'm hooked! I don't really care for the ecchi, but thankfully those moments are few from what I've read so far.
peachidreami

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Currently reading:

Hakasega!! vol. 3

百千さん家のあやかし王子 vol. 1

Cuticle Detective vol. 2

All my current reads are considered (to a certain extent) comedies~ (or just humorous) Momochi is very sweet and adventurous, though~ Hakasega is a riot, and I'm really looking forward to the next volume~ Both Hakasega & Detective can get really absurd, but its all rather charming~
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:04 pm Reply with quote
I read His Favourite V5 yesterday, although not the best in the series it still made me giggle and there were a few sweet moments between Yoshida and Sato. I'm glad they are starting to open up more to each other and I was happy to see Sato's softer side. I do hope that the story starts to move away from all the girls trying to obtain a date with Sato but failing, it would be good to see one of them succeed and seeing how Yoshida copes with the situation.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Adam Wednesdays

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:23 am Reply with quote
Yesterday I finished the first volume of "To Terra..." Looking forward to reading more. I love the art, and I've got a soft spot for 70s sci-fi.

Today I started "Lychee Light Club." I'd heard that this was weird and screwed up, and so far it's living up to that reputation. It's one of the most on-the-nose takedowns of fascist aesthetics I've seen in a while, with all the nastiness and ugliness that entails.
Lengarion

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:14 am Reply with quote
I'm halfway through Sugar Sugar Rune (still missing the 6th volume) and it's adorable. Usually I'm hesitant to pick up such a sugary shojo, but it was worth it.
Our heroes are not that different from some other shojo's villains. The whole "collect humans' feelings and use it as energy"-plot is essentially what the early bad guys in Sailor Moon do. I wonder how it'll end, and if that subject is addressed further.

Aaaand on the other hand I just finished the 4th volume of Berserk and totally love it, too. Since I'm feeling a little down today, 5&6 will have to wait a bit, though. It's kinda hard to stomach.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 107 of 154