• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Bunny Drop GN 9

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:51 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
@Mohawk52

If you want to be mad at someone, be mad at Rin's boyfriend, and ultimately be mad at the writer. The writer especially, because if she was going to go this route, she might as well have made it a tragedy, much like what happens to Dahut in the city of Ys.

Seems this was the writers intention, so she wrote it to make it work in her eyes. Perhaps her publisher or fans pissed her off and she did a 180 in revenge.

It is sad that such a heartwarming story had to end on this note.
With that I agree and I'm going to spank Unita with my un-opened wallet. Laughing
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:45 pm Reply with quote
I like to think that after the events of the anime, Daikichi marries Kouki's mom and they all live happily ever after.

I skimmed volume 9 in the library, and it occurred to me that Rin is written as more mature and secure in herself and her emotions than any teenaged girl I can think of in real life. Daikichi was always a bit meek and insecure, and he explicitly tells Rin that he could never reject her outright because he doesn't want to hurt her.

It also occurred to me that Daikichi set an unhealthy co dependent example by not trying to find a romantic relationship for himself while raising Rin. Rin never had a healthy, adult couple to model an ideal romantic relationship after. She got the implicit message from Daikichi that she was his whole life, and he would be sad when she left-which, to be fair, he probably would be. Most parents have mixed feelings or even get depressed when their children leave the nest, and there are plenty of examples of kids who never do leave and spend their lives being cared for by, and then caring for, their elderly parents. I imagine that many of them stay due to unhealthy co dependency and a feeling that it wasn't okay for them to leave.

Whether Rin's wish to marry her (by all intents and purposes) father stemmed from an unconscious desire to stay by his side for his sake, the fact that she first firmly expressed her romantic love for him at sixteen makes me think that her feelings were formed at a time when many kids are confused about their identity, sexuality, and who they like or don't like. It was also (IIRC) right after Kouki's mom, Daikichi's only real romantic interest, married someone else. If Daikichi hadn't set the "maybe in two years.." loophole she probably wouldn't have set the fantasy so firmly in her head over the next two years.

As far as Rin is concerned, sometimes you've just gotta learn that you can't always act on your feelings, and no matter how strongly you feel towards someone today, you may not feel that way tomorrow. Daikichi needed to set firmer limits with the child he loved as a daughter, and they both needed to learn to let go of each other and form relationships with other people.

I'm not completely devastated by the ending, but I am a bit perturbed, and no matter how you look at it, it isn't an emotionally healthy relationship. I am curious about the timeskip look at them as an actual couple that a poster mentioned above. I don't recall seeing it in volume 9, so I assume it must be one of the short stories in volume 10?

Also, does anyone know if the author has said or wrote anything about Bunny Drop's ending, perhaps in an interview?
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:08 pm Reply with quote
I didn't comment on the "but what if refusing her led to tragedy" argument before as the logic seemed too clearly flawed, but since it's still being discussed:

Quote:
My problem is you all make it seem so simple, all Daikichi has to do is what you want, and everything is going to be rainbows and flowers for Daikichi and Rin, no chance for it to be a tragedy.

I don't think anyone was saying that, but some seem to be assuming that entering into a sexual relationship with Rin would, if not leading to flowers and rainbows, at least avoid any hypothetical tragedy. I would personally think it more likely to lead to some such tragedy in the long-term.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Sven Viking wrote:
I didn't comment on the "but what if refusing her led to tragedy" argument before as the logic seemed too clearly flawed, but since it's still being discussed:

Quote:
My problem is you all make it seem so simple, all Daikichi has to do is what you want, and everything is going to be rainbows and flowers for Daikichi and Rin, no chance for it to be a tragedy.

I don't think anyone was saying that, but some seem to be assuming that entering into a sexual relationship with Rin would, if not leading to flowers and rainbows, at least avoid any hypothetical tragedy. I would personally think it more likely to lead to some such tragedy in the long-term.

Not me, it is quite probable, as you said, that there will be problems. Probably more so, that this happens in Japan, than if it had happened in America. They may face isolation, societal disapproval, and family judgement. They may have to cut all ties, and move away forever. Being in Japan will make these things more severe, than if it happened in the States.
rinmackie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:09 pm Reply with quote
^Which would be ironic, since as far I can tell, a fictional story about such an event has caused less judgement and handwringing in Japan. Whereas, in America, the whining continues.
SheRrIs

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:12 am Reply with quote
rinmackie wrote:
^Which would be ironic, since as far I can tell, a fictional story about such an event has caused less judgement and handwringing in Japan. Whereas, in America, the whining continues.

How do you know whether there was less whining in Japan? Were you reading Japanese forums and reviews when the last volume came out?
rinmackie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:47 am Reply with quote
Sherris wrote:
rinmackie wrote:

How do you know whether there was less whining in Japan? Were you reading Japanese forums and reviews when the last volume came out?

No, but were you? If so, I thought some one would have brought it up by now. Anyway, I said AS FAR AS I CAN TELL. Not to mention that stories that are taboo by most Western standards seem to be a staple of Japanese manga and anime. So I'm guessing it may have raised an eyebrow or two and some may have worried about what us foreigners think, but I imagine they're not still carrying on about how awful it is.
SheRrIs

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:58 am Reply with quote
rinmackie wrote:
No, but were you? If so, I thought some one would have brought it up by now. Anyway, I said AS FAR AS I CAN TELL.

It was mentioned by Maidenoftheredhand:
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
THANK YOU, if you read reviews on Amazon.co.jp you can see most of the Japanese fans didn't like the ending either (at least the ones that left reviews).
I guess they are intolerant of their own culture as well.

I thought you might be in possession of even more precious infobits.

rinmackie wrote:
Not to mention that stories that are taboo by most Western standards seem to be a staple of Japanese manga and anime. So I'm guessing it may have raised an eyebrow or two and some may have worried about what us foreigners think, but I imagine they're not still carrying on about how awful it is.

FETISHIST JAPANESE CULTURE! again... I damn hope a Japanese person is reading this forum and would be kind enough to go into arguments whenever they see claims like this.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7