• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Boys-Love Publisher LEAF Files for Bankruptcy

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kiyoko

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Hmm. First Biblos folds, now LEAF.

Could it be that the shonen-ai and yaoi genre in Japan is beginning to lose it's popularity or at least become less profitable?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Biblos had it's demise tied to the guy running it boosting his failing computer company up with profits from Biblos so far as I've heard.

The other option is less failing market vs market glut. I used to gauge the US economy by the Swap meets my late husband loved to go to. When there were lots of shoppers, but no one was spending money, I knew the economy was slumping (at least in my area) as people were looking for bargains, but passing on what they could live without. I better times, they would pick up the cute whatever spur-of-the-moment. So until someone puts out the state of the BL market in Japan, it's too soon to jump for joy over the demise of yaoi.

Wasn't our recent stock market sputter tied in part to Japanese Banks tightening up?
poisondusk

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Leaf were a light novel publisher, rather than a manga publisher, so it doesn't necessarily reflect on the genre as a whole.
Naivurtal

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:49 pm Reply with quote
nah it can be, for every company that goes down 3 more will stand up in its place lol. Shonen-Ai and Yaoi will never go down, it'll just come back stronger Smile
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Well I've been theorizing that this section of the Otaku market was slumping and giving up ground to other market areas. My theory is that the market has been so active recently that the Otaku's are running out of money and the new games aren't selling as well because nobody can afford them. It was just chaos for a while and now the market has hit a recession. I'm not sure its that supply exceeded demand (although that is partially true), so much as the current rate of trade can't sustain itself anymore. Some companies are going to go down, but I hope it isn't any of my favourites. I'm sure Alicesoft is safe, but one of my other favourites Eushully is a lot smaller and far more vulnerable.

Last edited by Kaioshin_Sama on Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
domino

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:33 pm Reply with quote
I find it interesting that there are so many Japanese BL publishers going bankrupt, yet so many American BL publishers appearing. I never thought I'd ever see such a trend pop up...
sunflower

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:43 pm Reply with quote
domino wrote:
I find it interesting that there are so many Japanese BL publishers going bankrupt, yet so many American BL publishers appearing. I never thought I'd ever see such a trend pop up...

It's really only a trend of one though, since Biblos' bankruptcy was completely unrelated to its work in publishing, and was only a by-product of its owner's misfortune.
kokuryu

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:18 pm Reply with quote
I guess they were really not too well noted. Their ZigZag published novels were actually pretty good, and quite humorous in many spots. I guess their claim to fame was the BL content, but they also had many non-BL publications, and tended toward a lot of fantasy and mystical type stories.

It is too bad, and I feel sorry when a small publisher closes its doors because then the artists/writers that used their services wont get their stories out anymore.

I think that what is really coming around is that people are re-defining what they are interested in, and reading books seems to be the least on many people's list nowadays - they are more into the visual, so a manga or anime will thrive while a book will die.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1