• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ignatz

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:23 am Reply with quote
Are there any plans for changing the allowed size of avatars? It would be really nice if it was changed to 20kb, or even 24kb. Some of the avatars I would like to use unfortunately are 19kb~24kb. Sad
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Learn how to change the compression ratio of JPEG files. Plenty of freeware tools are out there.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Ignatz

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:14 pm Reply with quote
I'll try that. Thanks.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, a great tool is Irfanview. It's a freeware graphic manipulating program that allows you to tweak images in different ways. It's a small download and install and it should do the trick for you. Just open the image with the program and then resave, it will then bring up a save box with a compression slider. Adjusting that lower will make the size smaller. You don't even have to go too low, even going from 100 to 95 will have a huge impact on the size and no real effect on the image itself.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:46 pm Reply with quote
This is probably the simplest option for a pictures whose dimensions are too large. I'm not sure what it would do if you put in a 100x100 avatar with a large kb size. It might do a simple compression for you.

http://www.shrinkpictures.com/create-avatar/

put a picture in, say the size you want the avatar- voila.

Oddly though, I sometimes have problems when I put in an image that is already perfectly square. results will vary though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:39 pm Reply with quote
More tips, because I do this often.

If you don't want to sacrifice image quality, mute the colors.

For better results, however, save your file in png format. It's much more friendly in terms of compression and loss-less formatting. For small images, png works well.

You can download The Gimp for free. It's open source file imaging software. It has a small learning curve, but for image editing, I recommend it to those who don't want to spend $100s on Photoshop.
Ignatz

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:11 am Reply with quote
Thanks for all the tips, guys. Smile
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Happy belated tenth anniversary, "Setting Up an Avatar" post! Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1