• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What exactly is filler?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Dolmus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:46 pm Reply with quote
I thought filler was parts of anime that wasn't in the manga but now i'm hearing that manga has filler, why don't you anime fans or otaku or whatever, just admit, that "filler" is slang for boring? Come on already, whenever anime or manga begins to get boring you call it filler, right?
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:51 pm Reply with quote
You asked a question, answered it, and then proved the answer wrong.

Intent and meaning can often be strange bedfellows. But yeah, people use it as a word for boring, because generally filler is perceived as being a waste of time, or boring. Results may vary.
10円

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:57 pm Reply with quote
We now return you to the discussion you were already having with yourself...
mind over matter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:03 pm Reply with quote
I always thought that filler meant 'story' that is made that doesn't really have much to do with the plot because the writers need more time to finish writing the real story
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:05 pm Reply with quote
My definition of filler is something which does not contribute to the overall plot in any meaningful way and something which can be skipped without the viewer missing anything of importance (ie they can skip the episode and still understand what happens after it just as easily as someone who saw the episode).

It certainly is not something that was not in the manga, though often it is (ie the Naruto filler arc of DOOM).
Lord Dolmus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Well I notice a lot of things that aren't so, what's the word I'm looking for, "solid" in the anime community, I think before anyone puts any labels on themselves, they should take a step back and look at the situation.
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Filler are episodes or chapters -- which are insignificant enough -- such that the removal of filler episodes do not affect the main plot line of a story.
Rakushun

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Lord Dolmus wrote:
I thought filler was parts of anime that wasn't in the manga...

That doesn't quite work. Some anime aren't based on manga, and some start off just like the manga before shooting off in a completely different direction. Like Fullmetal Alchemist.

mind over matter wrote:
I always thought that filler meant 'story' that is made that doesn't really have much to do with the plot because the writers need more time to finish writing the real story

Sometimes, but sometimes they toss in a few filler episodes in the middle because the plot doesn't cover enough the full season. Like Fullmetal Alchemist.

Quote:
"filler" is slang for boring

This is probably closest to the truth. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mirrinus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:01 pm Reply with quote
I'd agree with what everyone else said, but I think the reason why not all people wish to define "filler" like that is because not all "filler" (going by your definition) is really bad or boring; it's merely not needed in the grand scheme of things regarding the plot. The term "filler" has a very negative connotation, though (probably thanks a good deal to Naruto), so people are reluctant to use "filler" to describe anything that actually is enjoyable but doesn't contribute to the plot.

Here's a question that I'm interested in hearing some of your opinions on: if a "filler" arc does not advance the plot, but does contain a significant amount of character development for either the protagonist or an important supporting character, would you still consider it filler? Do you regard character development as independant from the plot, or should it be considered integrated together?
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:12 pm Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
My definition of filler is something which does not contribute to the overall plot in any meaningful way and something which can be skipped without the viewer missing anything of importance (ie they can skip the episode and still understand what happens after it just as easily as someone who saw the episode).

It certainly is not something that was not in the manga, though often it is (ie the Naruto filler arc of DOOM).

Well...that would be most of Inu Yasha now wouldn't it! Rolling Eyes Wink

I don't really care wether "filler" is something that isn't part of the original manga storyline or not. All I ask for is that it's interesting and the story goes somewhere other than endless running around, screaming and fights with the monster of the week. (See series I mentioned above.)

I have to say that one "filler', that until it was mentioned that it was "filler", that I truly enjoyed was the "Homura" arc in Saiyuki. It never occured to me that it would be considered filler and I have the manga! It was well written, there was the meeting, the fight, conflicts with minor players, fights/meetings with the major players, more minor conficts then the BIG BANG conclusion.

If you're going to have filler in a series, at least make it like Saiyuki's.
jetz

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Since everyone already mentioned that a filler is 1) doesn't contribute to the story 2)can't be found in the manga version, here's something no one has mentioned yet (I think. If I missed it, just tell me) I read in Wikipedia's media definition that fillers are also used to help the manga get ahead of the anime, I am not sure why though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Please don't feed the troll people... you know better than that.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1