• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Diabolik Lovers (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:43 pm Reply with quote
What good is being able to kill one vampire, when you have to kill all seven at one time, unless you have the skills of a vampire hunter.

You need money to use a taxi or fly a plane. It doesn't sound like Yuu has access to credit or cash. The vampires apparently have a lot of money.

The vampires appear to know where Yuu is, without actually being there. The vampires appear to be able make themselves invisible or appear out of thin air, or even, make their victims think they are just appearing out of thin air.

Even if she requested help from random strangers, or even the police somehow, I think the vampires would kill everyone that saw Yuu.

I don't watch anime thinking about what the creators intended, I watch it to be entertained. Yes it is sad what is being done to Yuu, does it make Yuu stupid that she is not Xena the Warrior Princess, or Trinity from the Matrix. Mina usually only had to deal with Dracula, but Yuu has to deal with seven vampires.

I said earlier that this show has to be about the denouncement in the end. It requires a really strong denouncement. There must be lots vampire blood spilling on the floor. If that really strong denouncement is not there, then the show completely fails.

I don't have a problem with anyone not liking this show, I understand perfectly why they wouldn't. Personally, I am reserving judgement until the very end. I just don't think Yuu is stupid. I think her temperament probably has saved her a lot of pain. What would happen to other girls who run screaming in terror from the vampires. Probably would be dead, or the vampires themselves would play more to that terror. By treating the vampires with respect, they have allowed her to live.

I'll end on this note.
GVman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:57 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
I said earlier that this show has to be about the denouncement in the end. It requires a really strong denouncement. There must be lots vampire blood spilling on the floor. If that really strong denouncement is not there, then the show completely fails.

And there won't be; this show is aimed at the audience that finds the thought of being completely subjugated by a bunch of young, effeminate vampire guys arousing.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:11 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
@ TarsTarkas - you seem to be missing the point. I dropped the show after two-and-a-half episodes because it was was painfully clear what the purpose of this show is.

The purpose of this show is for the viewer to identify with the female lead who is being mistreated by several so-called bishie. The show is making no attempt to provide a reasonable rationale for why she stays in the situation. That's not the point of the show. To complain about that point is just as pointless as it is to try and argue that there is a reasonable explanation for her passivity.

The show knows what its target audience wants to get out of this show. If you are thinking to yourself, "why doesn't she try to escape?" or if you are thinking, "sure, there's a logical reason she hasn't escaped" then neither side is in the target audience.

You're supposed to identify with the female being dominated in a certain kind of way. That's it. Full stop. Thinking beyond that central purpose is pointless.

Very good point. Using logic for a show like this isn't very good for ones health. I'm tired of facepalming so much Wink

Honestly the only reason I'm watching this show is to see how this train wreck will end. Or maybe I'M the Masochist here?...........(shivers) Shocked
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:27 am Reply with quote

spoiler[New info about the brothers' past was interesting.
As kids they were totally different.
Wonder what caused them to snap.
At this point they are complete opposites of their younger selves.
Guess their mother had a lot to do with their transformation.
This was the most interesting episode since this anime began.]
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:25 am Reply with quote
Sheez took the show long enough to give us some background story on these guys. First episode that i didn't want to punch a hole through my laptop.

Here is some speculation:

Yui obviously has a connection to Ayato's mother. I've noticed that the two people who have responded the most to Yui's blood are Ayato and Laito both of which had the same mother. Maybe she is the child of Ayato's mother and the man she was talking with at the table? So i'd venture to guess she is half vampire half human but her vampire side has yet to awaken (which is what she could have been referring to in the recap episode).
senbonzakura

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Anime based on otome games tend to be unsuccessful due to the incompleteness of story they show in the anime.

Just to clarify though, Diabolik Lovers is based on a series of drama cds that was then turned into an otome game due to its popularity. So in otome games, I am sure you are aware that there are plenty of routes that will lead to different endings. Diarabu is no different from them. The way the anime is going, the routes are all jumbled up and rather than giving it a story, it just confuses the people.

I can certainly see why people would think Yui is stupid because 15 minutes each week just shows how she is afraid of them and how she weakly fights back. I, for one, do not think Yui is stupid but I played the game and listened to the drama cds. It's hard to justify her actions in the anime so there's no use using logic in this one.

The characters are sadistic by nature because the company who created them are known to explore "fetishes" for tsundere, yandere, doS etc. So it's kinda for an acquired audience. I am not going to defend them with "they're vampires, they have no humanity" because in reality, there are no vampires and you can just imagine them to be real. It just feeds the fantasies of females.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:45 pm Reply with quote
I watched 3 episodes of this dren and dropped it, before I succumbed to the rage and started breaking things. I can't see why anyone would still be watching this garbage. The only way I'd ever watch the rest is if this ends with all the vampires dieing extremely painful, slow, agonizing deaths.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:57 am Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
I watched 3 episodes of this dren and dropped it, before I succumbed to the rage and started breaking things. I can't see why anyone would still be watching this garbage. The only way I'd ever watch the rest is if this ends with all the vampires dieing extremely painful, slow, agonizing deaths.

Hopefully, one of the options, mentioned above you, include Yuu slaughtering all the vampires with maniacal glee.
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Every night I go to bed and pray that I shall not ever meet anyone who can tolerate this.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:07 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Every night I go to bed and pray that I shall not ever meet anyone who can tolerate this.

There really was no call for that.
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:21 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
There really was no call for that.

I see and apologise to those who believe in a god who took billions of years to create beings who get drunk and piss all over themselves.
GVman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:41 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:

Hello!
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:51 pm Reply with quote

spoiler[Yui always seems to be asking the wrong questions.
That means she asking the right ones since they strike a cord.
Well, it was nice the story from the previous episode continued.
It's still a mystery why Yui would get all those flashbacks.
The brothers are still cold, distant and cruel things..
I thought they would have softened up a bit by now.
Guess they're slower that way..]
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:40 am Reply with quote
It's getting really hard for me to feel bad for Yui now. The anime doesn't really make it clear what she wants. I mean in this episode she's like

Yui: I hate this place! I can't take anymore....
and then Subaru comes in and says

Subaru: You should have run when you had the chance.

It was at that moment that i wished i could jump into my laptop and give him an epic high five for calling Yui out on her stupidity for staying when he told her to leave.

But i won't dwell on that for any longer than necessary Rolling Eyes

More speculation:

Subaru's story struck me as kind of interesting. spoiler[The woman in the window in his flashback is his mother and he had the same knife that he gave Yui back then. When he dropped it that pretty much symbolizes that he was unable to bring himself to kill someone. Given the theme so far has shown that all these guys have been involved in some way in the death of their mothers i wouldn't be surprised if he intended to kill her for some reason but couldn't.

Which is kind of strange because out of all these guys Subaru is the most level headed to me.......well at least so far until this episode that is. But at least his blood sucking scene gave us more hints to his past. He says the reason he gave Yui the knife was so that he she could end his life when he wished for it and that if she didn't have the will to do that she should use it to end herself.

So in a way maybe he wants his death to reflect the same way his mother wished to die?]

In all honesty i hope Subaru lives though. Everyone else can get stabbed, burned and have their ashes flushed down a toilet for all i care Anime smile.
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Well I gotta say, spoiler[Cordelia] sure didn't raise her sons well judging by the latest episode...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9