• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Soprano Sarah Brightman Sings 10th Pokémon Movie Theme

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Looks like the Schumacher film was pretty big in Japan.
R_Amythest

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Wow, they got Sarah Brightman to do it?

Either she's unusually open in her work, or they've got a lot of money on their hands....
getaGRIPanime

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:44 pm Reply with quote
R_Amythest wrote:

Either she's unusually open in her work, or they've got a lot of money on their hands....
let's go with the money one
Eruanna

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:32 pm Reply with quote
getaGRIPanime wrote:
R_Amythest wrote:

Ummm yeah. Money.
This seems to me to be like a HUGE step down in her career. I mean come on. Phantom of the Opera... into... Pokemon? >_> I am very dissapointed to see her making such a terrible career move. And I dont even hate Pokemon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:56 pm Reply with quote
It'd be a step down, if it was the U.S.
Katsu Koneko

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:38 pm Reply with quote
o-o Whoa I'm really surprised. Sarah Brightman in Pokemon? I didn't know she spoke/sung in Japanese.

Maybe in the English Version of the Movie, it will have her song in English. It will be just like the English version of the Jirachi Movie, maybe. :p
SaiyamanMS

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Hmm... Well if she's an English singer, perhaps the song or a variation of it may make it into the dub?

After all, 4Kids let a half dubbed version of "Chiisaki Mono" (titled "Make a Wish") in movie 6, however they didn't keep any variation of PUFFY's "Hajimari no Uta" in movie 8 despite PUFFY being known within the US... Also, Pokemon isn't even being handled by 4Kids anymore...

Eh, it probably won't make it to the dub. >_>

Pretty cool nonetheless though.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:42 pm Reply with quote
I'd say more than likely they'll have her sing it in English or whatever, I can't see her singing in Japanese. I imagine that it would be a money issue too to get her to sing. It's like does she even know about Pokemon?
Jamee

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Nice try, but April 1 has come and gone.
coldspider

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Eruanna wrote:
getaGRIPanime wrote:
R_Amythest wrote:

Ummm yeah. Money.
This seems to me to be like a HUGE step down in her career. I mean come on. Phantom of the Opera... into... Pokemon? >_> I am very dissapointed to see her making such a terrible career move. And I don't even hate Pokemon.

Damn,calm down... Rolling Eyes

At most it can be considered a much more commercial move in her career.I don't see why it's such a big deal.

And what's wrong with Pokemon anyway?
Neverwhere

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:06 pm Reply with quote
'Internationally acclaimed soprano'? I think not. *snort*

All real opera singers think Sarah Brightman is a joke, and the only acclaim she receives is from her record company when her latest new age album sells well.

But that's not really important. I just find that description very irksome. *G*

I don't think it's such a bad thing for her career to be on the Pokemon soundtrack -- since the only people who will actually know are anime fans, I'm sure her own fans wouldn't have a clue, so it's not a big deal either way. Whatever pays the bills, right? Smile
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Jamee wrote:
Nice try, but April 1 has come and gone.

It does seem like an April Fools' joke, doesn't it? However, the Anime News Network doesn't participate in April Fools' Day activities on principle, and the latest Saturday news update should quiet any doubts for good.
mokitty

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Sarah is ridiculously popular in many parts of the world (just consider she played a year-long world tour for her last album and it was so popular that she followed it up with another world tour of select cities a few months later), and it's kind of harsh to say that this is a step down from Phantom of the Opera, disregarding all her other work, when she's stepped much higher than Phantom in the last 20 years.

My understanding is that she's particularly big in Asia, at least it would seem that way since she seems to appear in China/Japan way more often than anywhere else when she's not touring, with the possible exception of the UK itself.

The trailer is up now and the song sounds decent. A little more reminiscent of her older poppish stuff from the 90s but regardless -- I thought it was great to see that a world-renouned singer like her, and my favourite to boot, doing anything for anime. I'm psyched.

edit: In response to neverwhere, her fans will know. She's my favourite but I'm not even that involved in her internet community, but I know... those people are almost as rabid as anime fans.
As for it being a "commercial" move for her, this isn't unprecedented as far as Sarah goes: a few years back she performed a classical piece retitled "Sarahbande" as the opening song for a Japanese television news program. I don't recall the name of the program itself, though.

Last edited by mokitty on Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Neverwhere wrote:
'Internationally acclaimed soprano'? I think not. *snort*

All real opera singers think Sarah Brightman is a joke, and the only acclaim she receives is from her record company when her latest new age album sells well.

But that's not really important. I just find that description very irksome. *G*

The news article doesn't say "internationally acclaimed"—it says "internationally renowned." "Renowned" means "having renown" or "famous."

http://www.answers.com/renowned&r=67

Whether or not she has acclaim from other singers, she certainly is famous in many countries. Smile
Eruanna

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 1:08 am Reply with quote
coldspider wrote:
Eruanna wrote:
getaGRIPanime wrote:
R_Amythest wrote:

Ummm yeah. Money.
This seems to me to be like a HUGE step down in her career. I mean come on. Phantom of the Opera... into... Pokemon? >_> I am very dissapointed to see her making such a terrible career move. And I don't even hate Pokemon.

Damn,calm down... Rolling Eyes

At most it can be considered a much more commercial move in her career.I don't see why it's such a big deal.

And what's wrong with Pokemon anyway?

Ummm... why the attack? I am calm. Im not freaking out or anything. Im just stating that I find it dissapointing to see someone go from Phantom of the Opera into something like Pokemon. You dont have to agree with me.
And nothing is wrong with Pokemon. Notice I said I didn't hate it? I have nothing agains Pokemon, in fact I rather enjoy it. Its just completly out of the league of classic musicals like Phantom.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3