• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Shonen Gangan Hints 'Big Soul Eater Not! Announcement'

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:25 am Reply with quote
Saeglopur25 wrote:
Kadokawa registered the souleaternot.tv domain name a few weeks ago.

http://who.is/whois/souleaternot.tv

Was about to say this. Pretty much decided then, eh? Unless it gets cut off, who knows...
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:15 am Reply with quote
mak123 wrote:
Please no. No. This manga is stil ongoing. Please, don't ruin another anime adaptation. Please.
While I'm fine with a remake, the first anime is not that bad. I will admit I saw the anime before I read the manga so that could have colored my opinion.
goxo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Although I would've liked anime remake of Soul Eater better than Soul Eater NOT, I am still glad about NOT possibly getting anime adaptation.
For the producers doing a remake of Soul Eater is much bigger risk than doing a Soul Eater NOT anime. It's longer, it's more expensive to animate(because the series is action-heavy as opposed to slice-of-life NOT), and it's been done once so some people are not gonna pay attention to it.
Honestly, I was really unsure about the chance of Soul Eater getting an anime remake because of financial reasons. But if SE NOT gets an anime and has good sales, then that might mean better chance of SE anime remake.
Zags

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:29 pm Reply with quote
goxo wrote:
But if SE NOT gets an anime and has good sales, then that might mean better chance of SE anime remake.

This is basically my feeling on the whole thing. I'm sure I'll enjoy an anime adaptation of NOT, but ultimately I would love to see Soul Eater get the Brotherhood treatment
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Soul Eater NOT, from what I can gather from a cursory search online, is considered a "side story," although some sources categorize it as a prequel.

Does it share characters with Soul Eater? I'd expect at least teacher cameos like Stein.

In any case, just seeing the style of Soul Eater in an anime again would be cool. It has such an unique art style.
goxo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Soul Eater NOT, from what I can gather from a cursory search online, is considered a "side story," although some sources categorize it as a prequel. Does it share characters with Soul Eater? I'd expect at least teacher cameos like Stein.

It is both prequel and side story in a sense. It's set at time before the main series so it could count as prequel, but it revolves mainly around different set of characters(non-combatant students). Some main series characters show up time to time.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:13 pm Reply with quote
If and when they make the official announcement, I wonder if Soul Eater NOT is going to pull a Railgun of the Index series where the spinoff ends being more popular than the main series.
OtakuJesd

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:47 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
If and when they make the official announcement, I wonder if Soul Eater NOT is going to pull a Railgun of the Index series where the spinoff ends being more popular than the main series.

That would actually be pretty funny and cool if you ask me Laughing
drdr48

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:03 pm Reply with quote
kazziyan wrote:
immortal1982 wrote:
I'm betting anime announcement.

At the very least fix what they did with the original Soul Eater.

The ending of the anime show was far better than that of the manga...
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:50 pm Reply with quote
I've been hoping for a remake that has the elements of both Not and the main series. I've only read a volume and a half worth of Not, but I don't feel like it could carry an anime by itself. Maybe they will pull a Railgun/Index where the series alternate, who knows.

On the other hand, I'm almost ok with their not being a remake if it means less people see that absolutely awful ending. At least the anime writers tried to end it well.
Sariachan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:00 am Reply with quote
Is the Soul Eater manga ending so bad? Shocked
I can't even remember the anime ending, and if the manga is worse than that... ^^'
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
goxo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:25 am Reply with quote
People are mostly upset about the fact that manga's last chapter included fanservice. Some people say that it left plots dangling, but personally I think it finished up the important plots. (Honestly, why would anybody think that Eibon and the GOO needs to be 'dealt with' any further than they were in the manga? They were clearly figures from past who are willing to stay back and watch young ones do their things.)
Other than that, more people liked manga ending than anime ending.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:25 am Reply with quote
Sariachan wrote:
Is the Soul Eater manga ending so bad? Shocked
I can't even remember the anime ending, and if the manga is worse than that... ^^'

It was pretty bad, leaving lots of plot threads hanging and character relationships unestablished... Hell, spoiler[Maka's mom never appeared once!] But at least it was better than the anime's ending... Probably. Though the fanservice thing was very... Odd and off-putting.
Sariachan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:50 am Reply with quote
Thanks for both your opinions. Any more thoughts? I won't read spoilers but everything else will be useful. ^^
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Bolaum

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:24 am Reply with quote
If it's indeed an anime (made by Bones again) there is one thing I don't understand.

They announced 1 year and 5 months ago that they were working on a new version of a familiar title (which would be Soul Eater Not). Since there aren't many vol it'd be a short anime (unless they do the same mistake they made with the first SE) why would it take all this time to make a short anime?

I'm not expert in anime or anything like that but I really doubt that short animes take this long to be made.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3