• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Poll: How Should Funimation Release One Piece?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jedi General

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
(don't have a preference? Don't vote)

Unless we get some voting options here, people with a preference won't even vote. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
redhandgrunt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Yeah having no options is a bit of a problem.

When it is fixed I am voting for alternating.
wilson_x1999

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:24 pm Reply with quote
I'd vote... but ... eh... the poll is no longer active O_o?
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:26 pm Reply with quote
fixed
wilson_x1999

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Yup, looks like for once in my life, I chose the same as most people do O_o

Start from the beggining. Very Happy
Iwatch2muchanime

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:53 pm Reply with quote
I don't care, I'll get it anyway.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
Ryusui

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:57 pm Reply with quote
They really should, you know.

This isn't like Dragonball Z, where the Saban version had a devoted following. It's common knowledge that the 4Kids version of One Piece is butchered like hell: if anything, treating the 4Kids version as anything but a false start (or better yet, a horrible mistake) would be more likely to alienate fans than retain them.

*is not a One Piece fan*
Cain Highwind

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:00 pm Reply with quote
I voted that I don't particularly care and that I'd buy the DVDs no matter what. However I was really close to voting "Alternating" because I feel like it might be a little faster and more efficient getting boxed sets out say releasing one from the beginning and releasing an uncut of the current episodes. This way by the time the TV dub was already at say Davy Back, I could have both Skypeia AND most of the East Blue saga. My selection would be mor espread out.

I'm just hoping the actors can get comfortable with their roles before they tackle the likes of the Arlong arc.

Man I was just watching a bit of the Jaya arc, and it's going to be so surreal to see a totally new cast WITH the original music.
HattoriHanzo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:00 pm Reply with quote
It doesn't matter as long its out of their grasp of anime destroying hands i am much more happy about this. I just hope the keep all the names intacted and the comedy that's in this when it appears especially Tony Tony Chopper Arc. What i am worried about is Kaizoku-Fansubs since they was the only group who kepted on subbing it after it was deaded by 4KidsTV..
Jedi General

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Wow, it's no surprise that the overwhelming majority is to start from the beginning. That's how I voted, now that the poll is fixed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Not that I plan on EVER getting this series but I voted that Funi should start from the very beginning.

But I have to say I was very close to voting for alternating 1 old and 1 new.

Either way would work really.

But, to be able to introduce new fans and re-introduce current ones, starting from the beginning would probably be the best way.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:44 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
Not that I plan on EVER getting this series but I voted that Funi should start from the very beginning.
Why not? It's a surprisingly good shounen series. Weird as hell at time but some of the stories can flat out make you cry. (Try to watch Robin's backstory without shedding a tear.)

I voted from the beginning, because DVD sales are very important to keeping this re-release of One Piece going once it starts and I think Funimation will have better sales starting from the beginning. I just hope that they plan to do something to make sure more casual fans (i.e. non-internet types) are aware that the new DVDs are totally uncut. How about an actual promotional champaign? Even a small one would help.

Also, starting from the beginning means we all get to start comparing Funi's dub and the 4Kids dub sooner. That'll be fun.
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:44 pm Reply with quote
It will save a lot of confusion if they just start from the beginning and release it all chronologically. All of this "alternating" stuff will just wind up being confusing and inconsistent in the end. Plus when the DVD releases finally cover all of the 4Kids episodes, the release schedule can be accelerated since the dubbing will already be complete for those episodes.

I'd also like to ask that the packaging be very simple and compact since there's going to be so many boxsets. Like, each one should only be about 1.5x the width of the average DVD case at maximum.
Cloe

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:54 pm Reply with quote
I personally appreciate the "I don't particularly care about One Piece, but I demand a voting option that allows me to express my lack of interest in the topic" option; it made me laugh (and, incidentally, was the option I chose).

This is why I love ANN's polls.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
SoloButterfly

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:05 pm Reply with quote
They have the option to start from the beginning? I thought that Funi only had the license for eps 114 and up. No point voting on an option they don't have right?

I still have yet to investigate the series..I may take a peek at it Funi does get the oppurtunity to start from the beginning though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4