• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
House of 1000 Manga - Crunchyroll Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zensunni

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:39 pm Reply with quote
ptolemy18 wrote:
configspace wrote:
What's their rate of releasing the backlog of volumes? Jason mentioned Space Brothers being complete, but what about others?

I didn't check every single volume, but it seems like they're ALL complete, except for the print ones (Fairy Tail & Attack on Titan) and Kimi no Iru Machi.

Actually, very few of them are complete. MGX has up to chapter 51 and the latest chapter. Yamada-Kun has through volume 6, which is around chapter 50ish, then goes to chapter 65ish. My Wife is Wagatsuma-san is complete, but that is the only one that I am reading currently (I plan on picking up a few more) that is complete. (Well, I suppose UQ Holder! is complete too... I started it, but need to catch up to the current chapter. The first chapter is LONG!!!!)

ptolemy18 wrote:
Quote:
I haven't read Kimi no Iru Machi, but it's definitely something I'm interested in. However, I don't think this point about shounen = no nudity, holds true at all. If it's supposed to be some kind of nominal "rule", then it's one that's broken so often enough not be a rule at all. (The OVA and TV anime of this certainly had nudity btw)

Most of Kimi no Iru Machi isn't on Crunchyroll, so I don't know if it used to be explicit, but the current chapters don't have nudity (though they have the usual panty shots & closeups of bras and stuff). The 'no nudity' thing definitely isn't a strict rule, and it varies from magazine to magazine, but I think generally shonen titles in the mainstream magazines are getting more prudish compared to last generation's hits like Ranma 1/2 and Video Girl Ai in the '80s and '90s. The only Crunchyroll Manga title that has actual nudity is a moment or two in Mysterious Girlfriend X.

Well, there isn't any REAL nudity. How's that? When you compare A Town Where You Live to Susuka, it is almost a crime. Don't get me wrong! I love the art, I love the character designs, but in Suzuka, Seo proves himself to be second only to Kaoru Mori, in my experience, at drawing the female human form in realistic and gorgeous detail. His nudes are sublime! In KNIM he does the "barbie-doll" style nudity instead of fully detailed art. Sure, the shape is nice, but...

Oh well, Yuzuki is still gorgeous! I hope that they get the back catalog for it, since that is one of the reasons I upgraded my membership. (I have read it, but wanted to read it with professional translation on a legal site... Sad )

However, the biggest find for me in the whole venture has been Yamada-kun! That is a fun, funny, and sometimes heartwarming story. Urara is a great character, as is Yamada-kun himself, and the story is actually pretty darn good.

My Wife is Wagatsuma-san is the 2nd biggest find. It has its eye-roll worthy moments, but it is really funny in spot and the 4th wall violations in it are GREAT! spoiler[There is a chapter with the guys in the DX Corp reading Chapter 200 of A Town Where You Live, which is the one that crosses the virgin barrier that Jason mentioned. It is HILARIOUS!].

I was already a big fan of MGX and am happily re-reading the older chapters. I just hope they get the mid-to-late chapters up soon! I love the service and hope they add a few more titles, like maybe Billionaire Girl or Witchcraft Works or Chihayafuru. Kodansha has a ton of titles! It would be nice to get to read them for one price!
Somewhere

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Edit: Erm, to make this look less random...
On the subject of one magazine coming off as less reserved/prudish/whatever compared to another (Weekly Shounen Jump in particular):

As I understand it, the self-censoring of WSJ is primarily a result of WSJ's popularity.
As far as potential readership goes, WSJ is by far the dominant magazine nowadays. Most recent example would be the period of July to September 2013. For that time period, WSJ has an average circulation of 2.77 million. WSM is the next highest at 1.32 million. WSS comes in at 0.53 million.
So relatively speaking, a lot more eyeballs are looking at WSJ.

According to the Shueisha's 2013 Media Guide, 2.6% of its readers are aged 9 or below, 12.2% are 10-12 years old. I'd say it's understandable for them to tread more carefully to not draw the ire of parents.

And unfortunately I'm having trouble finding if Kodansha even has such a convenient media guide section. Confused

Last edited by Somewhere on Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
osakaedo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:45 pm Reply with quote
gedata wrote:
Coppelion's placement here makes me wonder if it's any better than the anime version which isn't to my liking

I would say the manga is solid to very good...until it turns into manga x-men once they reach the actual location of their initial goal. at that point the editors realized hey we're turning this into an anime let's pad this; then the earthquake happened and it was put on hiatus for a while. Confused
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:53 pm Reply with quote
ptolemy18 wrote:
The 'no nudity' thing definitely isn't a strict rule, and it varies from magazine to magazine, but I think generally shonen titles in the mainstream magazines are getting more prudish compared to last generation's hits like Ranma 1/2 and Video Girl Ai in the '80s and '90s.

Huh. Why would that be?
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:22 pm Reply with quote
CR said they are planning to have around 50 manga summer next year. And they are going to add more missing chapters in later days.

Some chapters of Kimi no Iru Machi have nudity, I just don't remember which chapters. It's not hentia manga, nudity is less than 0.1% of the entire manga.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:39 pm Reply with quote
I need to read the Seven Deadly Sins in the future tbh. I heard it's quite decent.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
phia_one

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Seven Deadly Sins has been really enjoyable so far. I'll most likely give Yamada-kun and the Seven Witches a look.
Somewhere

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:42 am Reply with quote
If you're looking for a battle series, Nanatsu no Taizai has been really fun. The characters & their interactions are fun, the designs are varied, and it does a fine job showing the action with both intensity and clarity.

Jason's remark on the power level in the series tells me that he probably hasn't read Kongou Banchou, which was Nakaba Suzuki's previous major work. If you read that, you'll know that his style is to generally follow the conventions of the genre (but execute them well), start at a high power level and only go up from there, and focus on manliness and badassness like how Kubo focuses on being coooool.
AlphaCentauri

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:34 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
I've heard many people describe A Town Where You Live as being "Rage, the Manga". Sort of put me off the Anime adaptation.

I'm guessing the only reason this Jason's review of KNIM is positive is because they didn't read it from the beginning or even the tokyo arc, he hasn't experienced the retardedness (this is a word now) of Haruto and Yuzuki, the pseudo NTR, Yuzuki's selfishness in wanting to steal another girl's happiness for her own, Harutard throwing his girlfriend away like trash (after a 2 year relationship) for Yuzuki, and even the friends of the main characters calling them out on their shit. The way Harutard and Yuzushit got to where they are now is by being shitty selfish people. Some people might think "oh that's so romantic!" but I see it for what it is. Jason called this manga "realistic" but let me tell you if saw what the characters do in this manga in real life you would think they had some some sort of mental illness.

I seriously don't know how any sane person who has read from the beginning can still read this without feeling bitterness towards the main characters. Every time I see it on the front page of manga sites I get a pain in my heart. I have read/am currently reading a little over 700 manga (might not be a lot to you but it is to me) and KNIM is the ONLY manga I have ever dropped.

Last edited by AlphaCentauri on Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:45 pm Reply with quote
^
Ah good, so my memory was correct. I recalled reading plenty of outraged comments on some random forum when the OVAs came out last year, but thought I'd misremembered it or had the wrong title after seeing Jason be so overwhelmingly positive about the manga. Good to know the manga gets as bad as everyone had told me. I'll stay away from the franchise.
AlphaCentauri

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:08 pm Reply with quote
^The manga is shit but the anime was bullshit. They removed the only part of the manga I appreciated from the adaptation which was the friend's calling the main couple out on their shit. Without that the anime gives the message that there is no social stigma attached with dumping your loving girlfriend for 2 yrs to get back with a old flame. Hell, they even made it sparkly and romantic!
zensunni

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:57 pm Reply with quote
AlphaCentauri wrote:
dtm42 wrote:
I've heard many people describe A Town Where You Live as being "Rage, the Manga". Sort of put me off the Anime adaptation.

I'm guessing the only reason this Jason's review of KNIM is positive is because they didn't read it from the beginning or even the tokyo arc, he hasn't experienced the retardedness (this is a word now) of Haruto and Yuzuki, the pseudo NTR, Yuzuki's selfishness in wanting to steal another girl's happiness for her own, Harutard throwing his girlfriend away like trash (after a 2 year relationship) for Yuzuki, and even the friends of the main characters calling them out on their shit. The way Harutard and Yuzushit got to where they are now is by being shitty selfish people. Some people might think "oh that's so romantic!" but I see it for what it is. Jason called this manga "realistic" but let me tell you if saw what the characters do in this manga in real life you would think they had some some sort of mental illness.

I seriously don't know how any sane person who has read from the beginning can still read this without feeling bitterness towards the main characters. Every time I see it on the front page of manga sites I get a pain in my heart. I have read/am currently reading a little over 700 manga (might not be a lot to you but it is to me) and KNIM is the ONLY manga I have ever dropped.

Well, I must be insane then.

My guess is that the people who can't handle this story are either really young or have very limited experience with relationships. If you have never done something you regret in a relationship, you probably can't understand how Haruto and Yuzuki behave. As someone whose "been there" so to speak, I saw Haruto and Yuzuki getting back together as a very realistically done story line. (Not that I "got back together" with anyone, but I have had the unfortunate situation to have fallen in love when I wasn't out of the previous relationship yet. And yes, I felt like a first class schmuck when it happened and the new relationship didn't last either.)

That said, I felt more rage when spoiler[Haruto and Azusa STARTED dating. It was stupid of Haruto to do and he pretty much was responding to an ultimatum when it happened. (She basically said that if they weren't dating she didn't want to go to the same college as him, because she had trouble dealing with being around him and "being friends" now. It was clear that he was not over Yuzuki at the time and it was way too soon for him to be dating again.)]

I also find it interesting that everyone blames Yuzuki for what happened between them, when spoiler[she was actively trying to break things off. She knew, from previous behavior, that just cutting ties without telling Haruto the truth would probably backfire, so she tried to tell him how she felt, but also that she was going to step aside because she didn't want to interfere in his relationship with Asuzu. Haruto refused to let her do it. Afterward, she was glad he did, but it doesn't mean she didn't feel bad about it.]

I also agree that the anime dropped the ball on that, but they dropped the ball on ALL OF THE SIDE CHARACTER STORIES! They didn't even have Takashi and Akari going to college in Tokyo! (They intimated that Nanami was, but she was never shown.)

It was just poorly handled in a lot of ways. They tried to shove 140 chapters of manga into 12 episodes of anime, starting in the middle. It was pretty much doomed from the start.
ptolemy18
Manga Reviewer/Creator/Taster

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:16 pm Reply with quote
AlphaCentauri wrote:
dtm42 wrote:

I'm guessing the only reason this Jason's review of KNIM is positive is because they didn't read it from the beginning or even the tokyo arc, he hasn't experienced the retardedness (this is a word now) of Haruto and Yuzuki, the pseudo NTR, Yuzuki's selfishness in wanting to steal another girl's happiness for her own, Harutard throwing his girlfriend away like trash (after a 2 year relationship) for Yuzuki, and even the friends of the main characters calling them out on their shit.

Haven't read it from the beginning, as I thought I said in the review. Didn't say it was great: I gave it 2 stars, which equals "okay" at best. I'd like to read more eventually, maybe if Crunchyroll translates the backlog.
ptolemy18
Manga Reviewer/Creator/Taster

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Just a quick correction to the review: some other people pointed out to me that the backlog of Space Brothers is *not* all 20+ volumes, but only up to volume 12 (and then continuing with the last couple recent chapters). Apologies! Hopefully they'll translate the rest of it (and Kimi to Iru Machi) soon.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Thank you Crunchyroll for including a gender-bender in your list of launch titles (actually I might very well be part of the reason you did).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3