• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Pupa Anime Delayed Until January

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:10 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Ah, I see. I was just going off of rumour. You're right, it isn't the sort of story where five-minute-episodes would make sense.

It APPEARS that it might be a 5 minute anime, from the context in an interview on the Pupa official website. Is what Japanese fans are saying.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:01 pm Reply with quote
^
I hope that the Japanese fans just misinterpreted something and that the five-minute-episode rumour remains just that; a rumour. I really want full-length episodes for Pupa, I really do.
Animerican14

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:35 pm Reply with quote
So is the five-minute-episode rumor really just that, then? A rumor? The site that I heard this from-- http://seventhstyle.com/2013/11/02/pupa-is-only-a-5-minute-anime/-- stated that an interview in "VoiceGirls" magazine was what revealed this information, so if it's just a rumor, then i guess it didn't say such a thing....?

I hope things work out well for this adaptation, if only for the sake of its premise (what I've read of 'Pupa' so far hasn't left that much of an impression beyond the premise). There is something about the coalescence of "innocence/supposed purity" and "monstrousness" in fiction, particularly fiction in a market that overwhelmingly panders to Japanese otaku's tastes for moe and erotic media, that really appeals to me. Maybe I hold a near-sadistic pleasure in seeing what otaku consider 'cute' turn inarguably vile, even if only on the outside. That's part of what attracted me to (someone's LP of) Gen Urobuchi's Saya no Uta VN, and that seems to be what's attracting me here.

Something tells me that, provided anime market conditions were similar to those of the 80s and 90s, this could've made a decently lengthened, well-paced, and not-terribly-toned-down anime series. Which would just be like my ideal version of an anime based on Saya no Uta, basically. Unless... would a direct-to-video OVA series still possible in this day and age? One that doesn't need to be limited to packaging itself together with copies of the manga to sell? (Or maybe that would be the only way...)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:05 pm Reply with quote
The thing is your website doesn't link the original source or the original text, therefore nobody can confirm it. And Studio Deen hasn't say anything yet.
danilo07

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:30 pm Reply with quote
@Animerican14 just so you know that svenenth style fellow whose website you linked to is known for being an idiot and making shit up,so I would never trust him.It doesnt mean that pupa wont be a 5 minute short though.
configspace

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Animerican14 wrote:
I hope things work out well for this adaptation, if only for the sake of its premise (what I've read of 'Pupa' so far hasn't left that much of an impression beyond the premise). There is something about the coalescence of "innocence/supposed purity" and "monstrousness" in fiction, particularly fiction in a market that overwhelmingly panders to Japanese otaku's tastes for moe and erotic media, that really appeals to me. Maybe I hold a near-sadistic pleasure in seeing what otaku consider 'cute' turn inarguably vile, even if only on the outside. That's part of what attracted me to (someone's LP of) Gen Urobuchi's Saya no Uta VN, and that seems to be what's attracting me here.

You know as part of the *dere spectrum there's also yandere. So don't forget the Higurashi franchise and School Days, which are also otaku shows. However, I don't think Pupa is what you think it is. From what I've seen it's about how "love overcomes all", how the brother is able to get over her vile transformed appearance and how she struggles with her predatory nature.

In any case, I really hope it's not 5 mins, which means 3 mins of actual content. No way you can actually do the story justice. And the promos seem to suggest something serious, and I don't know how'd you even have enough time for effective gore (which was acknowledged by the studio) in that time frame considering the setup required and all
Animerican14

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
@Animerican14 just so you know that svenenth style fellow whose website you linked to is known for being an idiot and making shit up,so I would never trust him.It doesnt mean that pupa wont be a 5 minute short though.

I see. I didn't know how relatively untrustworthy seventh style was, apparently. It's a site that I've seldom used, but I think I first heard about it over twitter or some forum where people did take it rather seriously, so I didn't know better. Will try and be more discerning about such rumors, then.

configspace wrote:
Animerican14 wrote:

You know as part of the *dere spectrum there's also yandere. So don't forget the Higurashi franchise and School Days, which are also otaku shows. However, I don't think Pupa is what you think it is. From what I've seen it's about how "love overcomes all", how the brother is able to get over her vile transformed appearance and how she struggles with her predatory nature.

Oh, I think I more or less already knew how Pupa breaks down into that theme. My original statement on the "coalescence of 'innocence/supposed purity' and 'monstrousness' in fiction," though, also takes into consideration of just appearances. Note how I say "maybe I hold a near-sadistic pleasure in seeing what otaku consider 'cute' turn inarguably vile, even if only on the outside" (that is, appear vile *just* on the outside). The schism between the cute and the ugly that I appreciate may show itself thematically, aesthetically, or both.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:18 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
Animerican14 wrote:

In any case, I really hope it's not 5 mins, which means 3 mins of actual content. No way you can actually do the story justice. And the promos seem to suggest something serious, and I don't know how'd you even have enough time for effective gore (which was acknowledged by the studio) in that time frame considering the setup required and all

From what I've seen, however, Pupa is different because it focuses on PHYSICAL "monstrosity" than psychological.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2