• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
House of 1000 Manga - Crunchyroll Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jree78

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@configspace
Are you saying that the Premium Anime membership on a yearly basis also includes the manga automatically??

All access includes: Anime, Drama, Manga, and discounts in the Crunchyroll store.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:00 am Reply with quote
@jree78

As I noted in my follow up post, on Thursday I had access to all the manga. However, Friday whenever I tried to read manga I got redirected to a place which wanted me to upgrade my membership, while it acknowledged that I had a premium membership.

Obviously something is going wrong. Now I have to figure out how to contact them, which is not obvious.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:17 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@jree78

As I noted in my follow up post, on Thursday I had access to all the manga. However, Friday whenever I tried to read manga I got redirected to a place which wanted me to upgrade my membership, while it acknowledged that I had a premium membership.

Obviously something is going wrong. Now I have to figure out how to contact them, which is not obvious.

Do you have premium anime membership or premium anime/drama membership. Only those with anime/drama membership get the manga included.

And I just hope I won't miss the black Friday deal when I am in Japan. Or is it on Cyber Monday? Or is it both days?
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:25 am Reply with quote
I have the full anime/drama premium membership. I got it last black Friday. The page I'm redirected to acknowledges that. The only option it gives me is to gift a membership to someone. I have no intention of buying a second membership to access what is supposed to be already available.
Modab

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Here are some notes from someone who has been using the service heavily from the first day:

Fantastic selection for me (~35 yrs old) compared to Shonen Jump. My favorites are 1st Space Brothers, then Yamada-kun, Coppelion... but really I find over half of them entertaining, which is great since someone has translated a great many chapters.

Another bonus is that those missing spots, like in Space Brothers and Wagatsuma-san, are being filled in at a reasonable rate. Wagatsuma-san is now complete I believe, and Space brothers added another volume this week, which, if that becomes a trend, will be very satisfactory.

One big issue is that there are 0 notifications when new or back-filled manga chapters are added. An RSS feed or software update that included this is essential.

Most welcome would be any kind of viewing history (I spent a lot of time on a bad connection trying to remember what chapter I was on).

Also welcome would be the ability to resume a manga chapter where you left off.

Finally, it logs me off every few hours from my android device, which is quite rude.

I upgraded from the yearly anime service for $40, and having already read about 40 volumes of manga, I have got my money's worth even if the program stops tomorrow.

If you like at least 4-5 of the manga I think it's worth the cash.

For those who have more *ahem* discriminating tastes, I might advise people to hold off until Crunchyroll actually adds more titles. I know the "50 by next year" quote has been thrown around a bit, but I haven't actually seen Crunchyroll state they are doing this. I believe ANN got this information only from Japanese financial news source Nikkei, and the fact it hasn't been repeated in America is telling. (Unless I missed the crunchyroll announcement and I am dumb, but if I am please link because I would be quite happy to be proven wrong).
Modab

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:05 pm Reply with quote
One more thing, the cheapness of this manga truly astounds me.
Assuming I enjoy 6 of the manga released every week, then I am receiving
5*48 (some are monthly) = 240 chapters per year, for $40 =
$0.17 per chapter.

compared to the print volumes which are about $0.70-$0.90 a chapter, this is very sweet, and compared to American Comics at $2.00-$4.00 a chapter, it is truly extraordinary.

Boom times!
GVman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Modab wrote:
$0.17 per chapter.

compared to the print volumes which are about $0.70-$0.90 a chapter, this is very sweet, and compared to American Comics at $2.00-$4.00 a chapter, it is truly extraordinary.

Boom times!

It's so cheap because you don't own it.
Modab

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:06 am Reply with quote
Thats a fair point, to some it may be more important that the bits are owned and wont disappear because of stupid.
In my old age though I am discovering there are few things I really need to own. I have collected over 1200 volumes of physical manga but if pressed I wouldnt have a problem culling it over 90%. Mainly because there are always new good things to read.
agila61

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:10 am Reply with quote
GVman wrote:
Modab wrote:
$0.17 per chapter.

Boom times!

It's so cheap because you don't own it.

Precisely ~ there should be a cheap access method to just read the manga, and an opportunity for those who are actually fans of a particular manga to support it by buying a more expensive, downloadable collection.

Crunchyroll is well positioned to offer the first, the electronic equivalent of cheap manga serials that many people toss away when they are done reading them. Ideally, Kodansha would offer downloadable eManga of series for serious fans to buy (including the omake from the tankoubon that JManga included), without removing the chapters from Crunchyroll Manga.
configspace

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Finally tried it out with my Anime-only membership. So it appears to be no different than the Free version. Basically you have to watch a video commercial before each chapter and only the latest chapter is available, while previous chapters are reserved for All-access members.

At least there's no quality or size difference. I like the app and image quality and retention of honorifics. I also like the two page spread, which is great for fullscreen. It can be configured to 1 page, which would be more suitable for smartphones. I don't know if there's a bookmarking or chapter remembering feature. If not, they should implement that.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:18 pm Reply with quote
I'm back to having full access to the manga now. They said it was a problem with the prior Black Friday members.

When I went back, I ended up right where I had left off a couple of weeks prior, so it does remember where you were to some extent.

It is not the same as reading a physical copy. However, if it has to be on line it works well. It is clear sharp and easy to read. I do have a fairly large monitor to work with. I'm not sure how it would look on a tablet or phone.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3