• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII's Western Release to Include Japanese Audio

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:38 pm Reply with quote
I really really really hope this becomes a trend for Square Enix games. If the biggest JRPG company does it, the rest of the industry should feel obligated to as well.
Collectonian

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Man, the original Japanese being free for two weeks makes me want to preorder it even though I'm still on the first game...
Haterater

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Hope this gets more Japanese VA and their agencies to give it a go if they are being stinging with licensing the voices. I would also be alright if its reverse in that I'll pay for an English dub of a Japanese VA only game.
Altacia

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm...

At least you can download game DLC without actually owning the game. Laughing

There are way too many games coming out between Mid Feb and the end of March.
Shankusu

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Amazing news. I've always wished for non-dubbed releases or atleast dual audio but this is a great step forward.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Why didn't they do this with X? You know, the one that had bad voice acting.
DRWii

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Sweet! I mean, my first playthrough will be in English since I'm used to the voices from the first 2 games, but I still love that Square is doing this. Even though I'll get t when it's free, I'm really curious to see what the final price will be; hopefully not something outrageous like $10.

Hopefully enough people download it that they'll consider this for future releases (or maybe even some past ones).
ZeArNkN

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:

Disc space concerns.

Unless you're referring to the HD remaster.
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Cool that they're recognizing the demand for dual audio in JRPG's (Namco Bandai and Altus could stand to follow suit) but shitty that they are making it paid content for non-premium buyers. It just doesn't seem like something that should be paid DLC. It's not added content after all and other companies like Sega and Nippon Ichi make it free all the time.

I guess if that's what it takes these days it is what it is and the people that really want it will probably get it while it's free, but why do I foresee it not always being free for future games.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:

maybe they doing this with X too. You never know.

DRWii wrote:
Sweet! I mean, my first playthrough will be in English since I'm used to the voices from the first 2 games, but I still love that Square is doing this. Even though I'll get t when it's free, I'm really curious to see what the final price will be; hopefully not something outrageous like $10.

Hopefully enough people download it that they'll consider this for future releases (or maybe even some past ones).

probably like $1.99, 2.99 or 3.99 after the first two weeks. I think alot of company starting to do this now.

Soul Sacrifice voice is only $1.99
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Yes, this is very nice of them

And if you don't have the game when it's available, download it anyway. You can always re-download it. It's just to make sure it's tied to your account.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:09 am Reply with quote
They're really putting the works on this release. Heck, they even went thru all this trouble:

"Finding the heroine’s panties: The most difficult side quest in newest Final Fantasy role-playing game"

• Another new feature is the ability to manipulate the camera during cut scenes, those times when the player isn’t directly controlling the characters on screen. It’s likely this was added as a concession to gamers who for years have been grumbling about not having anything to do during these frequent scenes in which Final Fantasy’s characters chat, debate, and otherwise advance the plot.

But while the development team is indeed giving gamers a Lightning with a more bountiful bosom, that doesn’t mean it’s willing to let them peek at her undies.

Fans may be excited about changing Lightning’s costume and playing with the camera angle during cut scenes, but the combined effect of these two capabilities created a new headache for the developers, particularly Cut Scene Animation Director Yusuke Tanaka and Cut Scene Layout Director Hidekazu Miyake.

With Lightning Returns, however, the huge number of available costumes made things much harder. Tanaka says that it took the most time to correct panty flashes on the cat girl costume, for which Lightning needs to slip into a miniskirt because…

Tanaka explains that the problem of the female characters’ underwear being visible has popped up throughout the Final Fantasy franchise, but Miyake claims that it was more pronounced than ever in Lightning Returns. “This time, it wasn’t like, ‘Oh, you can catch a little peek.’ You could see everything,” he explains.

Part of the problem stemmed from the fact that Lightning’s standard costume in the new game has chap-like cloths that cover her legs and prevent the player from getting an eyeful of her undergarments. As such, Tanaka and Miyake didn’t initially give much thought to how some of the cool poses they’d though up for Lighnting to strike would look after the player switched to a shorter hemline and a lower camera angle.

As a result, Tanaka and Miyake had to go back and adjust the way Lightning moves and even the physics calculations in some scenes. Despite their efforts, though, Miyake admits that with the player getting control of the camera, they can’t guarantee they caught everything.

“There may be a few oportunities that slipped by,” Tanaka agrees. But with Lightning Returns about to hit store shelves, there’s nothing more he can do. “If that’s the case, well, then I guess that’s just going to have to be something for the player to uncover and enjoy.”

The more you know.............
Happy huntin'! Laughing
rpgamer79

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:09 am Reply with quote
This is really a happy news for me.

I actually met Kitase-san (The LRFF13 producer) in the Lightning returns and Final Fantasy X|X-2 event held in Yamada Ikebekuro three weeks ago,2nd November. (https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=506996856063140&set=a.292792917483536.65380.274714572624704&type=1&theater
).

We had a greeting session with him at that time. I took the chance and asked him personally for having the same treatment done for FFXIII Asian version (Japanese audio with Eng sub).

I am honestly not sure where the decision exactly come from and I highly doubt my direct request to Kitase-san has anything to do with it; but before this meeting , I actually (along with many other people) did ask for that whenever we had the chance (Q&A sessions, Official blog, FB messaging). I am glad this time it worked and SE decided to fulfill this request.

I believe we should always speak for what we want, who knows maybe the right people would listen somehow and do something about it.

We should now start asking the same thing for X|X-2 remaster too ^^

P.S.
I do not mind paying for this kind of DLCs, if from now on, it is going to be included with every SE title.

Last edited by rpgamer79 on Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:36 am; edited 4 times in total
lijachan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:29 am Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
Well, you never know. If this one gets a lot of people to download that DLC (or pay for it) they might think of doing the same for the HD remaster. Cross your fingers, since I've listened to some on the trailers and they were so much better than the English dubs ;w;
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:26 am Reply with quote
The funny thing is that FFX's Japanese VA isn't that much better than the English. The English is just as fine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2