• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
may i make a suggestion?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 3:22 pm Reply with quote
you guys should really consider making an "anime newbie" forum. where you can put answers faqs about Berserk, Hellsing, etc. so people will stop aking the same stupid questions over and over.

just something to think about
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 2:05 am Reply with quote
That wouldn't stop them from doing it, it would just give them a place to do it. Of course, being noobs they wouldn't use the right forum anyway.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 2:15 am Reply with quote
Yeah, to be blunt, you can't train idiocy. If you could, then it wouldn't be idiocy and would cease to exist (but clearly, that hasn't happened Very Happy ).

It's not a bad idea in theory, but it just wouldn't work in reality.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 9:16 am Reply with quote
I think having an "info" forum would be good to answer common questions. However, I think we already have a sticky thread like that in the anime forum. I know newbies don't always go to the correct forum (I know I didn't when I first started coming here), but to categorize newbies in their own forum I think is a bit discriminating. I don't think I'd like to stumble onto an anime forum only to find out I have to go to a place where a newbie is considered an idiot. The attitude on the ANN forums seems rather cynical and cold sometimes compared to some other forums and I think that a "newbie forum" would make the atmosphere even less inviting.
space clam

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Yes, I think it would be akin to throwing them in the "Special Ed" bus and saying, "Learn!" Most newbies catch on pretty quick to what's happening, the rules, and other such things. If they don't, they'll be trampled underfoot! Very Happy I don't think(read:hope not) many newbs end up starting pointless threads(Cat in the Hat, for example) *not to name any names, but...*
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
king_micah

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Flood control.
Limit the posts that anyone can create in a day, limit newbies to one. Make it so posts must take at least a minute or two between posts. It will stop the opps post and double posts.
Samurai CDZ

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 2:14 pm Reply with quote
king_micah wrote:
Make it so posts must take at least a minute or two between posts.

That's a real pain though, because if you want to go back into a post you just made and make a quick edit you have to wait a minute. Even ten seconds can be too long.
king_micah

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Set edits differently.
That way it isn't a half dozen opps posts in a row, but they edit the existing post.
space clam

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 2:54 pm Reply with quote
[quote"Samurai CDZ"]Even ten seconds can be too long.[/quote]

This isn't like an instant messenger. Making one stupid comment probably won't result in mass hysteria. Maybe I'm naive, but I can't think of a need for instant edits(aside from being drop-dead stupid)

"5 minutes?! It's supposed to be instant Jell-O!"

With regards to king micah, I believe it does have at least a one-minute gap on posts. I encountered once it times past. Most newbs creating retarded posts are likely most interested in saying, "Look! I have "x number" posts! I'm popular!" I used to belong to a DBZ message boards, and no restriction on posts was hell. One person even was posting random characters just to keep his thread up top on the list. Newbs should be given a "learner's permit" of sorts. When you've proven you're not an idiot, you get your "liscense"(I think I misspelled that, sorry if I did)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
Samurai CDZ

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 12:02 pm Reply with quote
space clam wrote:
This isn't like an instant messenger. Making one stupid comment probably won't result in mass hysteria. Maybe I'm naive, but I can't think of a need for instant edits(aside from being drop-dead stupid)

True. But I've had posts where I take five six minutes to write it and rewrite it and rewrite it. And since I've rewritten it a million times I've left certain grammatical mistakes I don't catch until I post. Usually I reread my post before I post a few times and also once after I post just to make sure I'm saying what I want to say. I usually catch them immediately and go back in for an edit, but if the edit time is set to high then it won't let me post the fixes. It won't bother me too much, but I have come across it before.

I think I said what I mean. Smile

king_micah wrote:
Set edits differently.

That's a good idea if you can. I can't remember if you can or not.
Louie-kun

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 3:21 pm Reply with quote
king_micah wrote:
Flood control. Limit the posts that anyone can create in a day, limit newbies to one. Make it so posts must take at least a minute or two between posts. It will stop the opps post and double posts.

I suggested post limits in this thread, but it got shot down by Tempest.

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4429
Samurai CDZ

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Speaking of which, or not, I thought I saw somebody with a SPAMMER title under their username. Are you now implementing somethng like that?

That kinda helps locate annoying posters.
trigunner

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Hey, I was [like 99.9% of you excluding Mods and staff] a newbie once, and a really bad newbie at that. I made some bad posts and insulted some people, but I'm all over it now. My point is: Don't chuck Newbies in the middle, help them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1