• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Welcome to ANN 5.0

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Well, it'll take time to get used to, thats for sure. Not really sure I like all the pictures everywhere on the front page... makes it so cluttered. I'll have to check if theres a way to make it less cluttered. Other then that its fine.

-edit- 3rd option for the front page looks a lot better.
Cam0

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:27 pm Reply with quote
I've no real problems with this, I've adapted already.
Veniamin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Can you guys have the option of switching back?
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Well I *HATE* it.

I think it looks like shit. Mad
NeD88

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Veniamin wrote:
Can you guys have the option of switching back?

+1 Sad
Gyt Kaliba

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Have to admit, the new look is pretty jarring at first, but once I switched it over to 'List View with Images', things looked a little more like how I remembered them, while also looking shiny and new. So kinda the perfect merger for me I suppose.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
L stole my cookie!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:42 pm Reply with quote
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! This new layout is just ugly, hard to navigate, cluttered, and it's an unneeded change. The previous one was way better.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:43 pm Reply with quote
I've gotta tell you,this new layout is weird. It's going to take me a while to get used to it. It sounds like not everyone is happy with the new layout.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:43 pm Reply with quote
So about 2/3rd of the screen is now white and with my bad eyesight the site is now hard to read. To say the site is badly designed is an understatement, I may not be able to go to the site anymore because I simply cant read it.

I just changed the skin to blue which improved the site a lot so now its not hurting my eyes anymore.

Last edited by Charred Knight on Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Brack

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:44 pm Reply with quote
The weird auto resizing on some, but not all pages, is pretty horrible.

Example:

In Chrome, I zoom by 110% in the homepage to fill my screen. Click on a column, looks fine. Click back to the homepage, and it shrinks on its own accord. Now I have to zoom by 125% to fill my screen. And so on.

I've noticed the forums do the same.

Should say, this is on the UK & Ireland site, as IIRC, there were occasional weird formatting glitches on the old site too caused by things happening on the US site that didn't appear on the UK site.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Can we dump the sidebar when we're in the forums? I don't need that shit taking up 30% of the screen. Sorry, but your website is goddamn awful. "B-but, it's new and Web 3.0!!!" doesn't mean is useful or attractive.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:54 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Can we dump the sidebar when we're in the forums? I don't need that shit taking up 30% of the screen. Sorry, but your website is goddamn awful. "B-but, it's new and Web 3.0!!!" doesn't mean is useful or attractive.

If you hit the arrow on the top right side of it, then it positions it below the forums instead.

It's still annoying, though, because when I want to read the last comment on a page, I often hold down the page down button. But now, it just keeps on going. Confused
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I saw that, but when I'm on the forums, I'd like to just be on the forums without all this extra crap around. Widening the preference to 200 characters fills it out better, but now all that garbage is still below.
ibmman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:56 pm Reply with quote
I like having layout options, but I didn't notice that they were there until visiting this thread- might want to make that more noticeable.
The larger number of images seems to make for longer load times, even on broadband, so I hope the mobile site is lighter weight.
The giant tiles are horrid and don't feel "news" site to me. It seems more like buzzfeed or Gawker sites, which I only ever go to when someone links to specific articles, because their main pages looks basically like content-vomit. The list view is a little better but I still feel like I have to scroll much, much more than I used to.

I agree with others that the additional whitespace is a bit jarring, but that's after being used to the full-page background ads that were previously there.

Quote:
I may not be able to go to the site anymore because I simply can't read it.

If you have significant vision issues, you may want to look into turning styles off or reading through RSS so you have more control over the visual presentation. Assuming the new site is making use of HTML5 semantic tag features, there are many alternative systems out there that should be able to do a decent job of taking the content and presenting it differently.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:58 pm Reply with quote
I like it. The images make the articles more attention grabbing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 18