• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Golden Time (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:29 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[Of course he gets his memories back. OF COURSE HE DOES! RULES OF ANIME ONE OH F*CKING ONE!] That shit has already happened at least twice this season alone with Yozakura Quartet and NouCome. I feel like a noob for not even letting that thought enter my mind. There's no bigger monkey wrench for the TadaxKoko "relationship" than spoiler[him getting his memories back and re-confessing his love for Linda].

I also chime in with similar thoughts of Stark's speculation. I immediately assumed the second, though, I have to admit I didn't even think of Creepy McCreeperson being the culprit behind Tada's fall; I could definitely believe that if revealed. Then again, I don't know how that would be revealed since no one saw him do it. I mean, Linda wasn't there and I doubt Tada saw his face through the high beams at night while trying to avoid being run over on a small bridge.

And boy was I way off base on my speculation. I don't think I was watching the same show as everyone else when I wrote that. Of course spoiler[Linda wanted some of that hot Tada action in the flashback]. To think otherwise would be stoopid.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
meiam

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:12 am Reply with quote
He didn't really spoiler[get his memory back, since he said "I'm not a ghost anymore" this make it sounds like it's not so much him getting his memory back and more like some supernatural element, with possibly the new one hanging around as a ghost now. ]

I honestly can't say which one I'd like the most (not crazy about either option TBH, but hey they can't have him find happiness now, still need to squeeze a lot of episode).

As far as the possibly spoiler[of the guy being the one who cause his accident], at this point it's kinda of stretch, but it would make sense from a directing point of view. I always thought it was kinda lame that they showed how exactly he feel off the bridge rather than leaving the suspense that he might have actually spoiler[committed suicide because Linda didn't show up], so the other guy being involve kinda justify them showing that scene.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:36 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I'm seeing the final twisty bit as spoiler[showing a separate personality, not getting his memories back. Didn't he say that his doctors thought he should have gotten his memories back months ago?]

So it seems we may be leaving the soapy developments of spoiler[an amnesia story] into the soapy developments of a spoiler[split personality. There is no "ghost", no supernatural component, it's just the way he sees himself when he compartmentalizes himself.]

The only problem with spoiler[creepy guy being responsible for the accident would be that there would need to be much more to the story. The fiance' confrontation seems to have taken place in late summer and the accident would be in early spring.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:02 am Reply with quote
Episode 9

I immediately figured out that spoiler[Koko overheard him and Linda when she decided to leave without talking to Banri], she even let spoiler[Chinami touch him]. That is warning signs right there.

Whether the original Banri is a ghost or deep multiple personality, it is not a big deal, one seems plausible while one is easier from a story telling sense. I am getting serious spoiler[Natsuyuki Rendezvous] vibes from the ending, and it makes me worried that I will end up as frustrated in this show, with the added bonus that spoiler[it is going to hurt Koko].

I am a little interested in what Linda had to deal with when she spoiler[went home, but Banri reaction showed how he really is not the same person she liked], and thus we did not hear the deal with spoiler[her brother].
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:43 am Reply with quote
I'm not worried about Koko getting hurt, I'm worried about her blowing up and hurting everybody else!

spoiler[The ghost has knowledge of Current Banri, but Current Banri has no knowledge of the ghost, which is going to cause problems if they start switching off.

I was impressed by how sensitively and realistically they handled Linda's problem. Or maybe I was just relieved it wasn't a brother complex problem! Laughing]
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
I'm not worried about Koko getting hurt, I'm worried about her blowing up and hurting everybody else!

No, she's not really like that. Sure she is capable of stalker-like behavior but I think she has grown past that now. What I find interesting is she seems to have also developed some prescient ability. Either that or something happened at the sleep-over we weren't shown.

spoiler["My brother is going to live a lie and I am one of the liars."] I rather like that line -- I really wonder how it comes off in Japanese.

I also rather like how Linda spoiler[deleted the photos] and chose a spoiler[constructive confrontation] instead. Although if I were here I would have insisted on spoiler[a confession] instead of just spoiler["not doing this anymore."] It must have occurred to her but I wonder why she didn't do that.
Brent Allison

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:31 pm Reply with quote
My spouse is wondering if spoiler[the ghost is going to tell Linda basically everything, including that he's been a ghost], which should be its own entertainment if her idle speculation becomes manifest.

Me, I'm just wondering if Linda's family is part Croat, what with her brother using a Croatian phrase (first I've heard that in anime ever).

I'm pretty sure that Koko spoiler[heard Banri] as well since the scenes of her spoiler[in bed make her look more depressed than ill], never mind the spoiler[questions out of the blue].

Another spousal insight: spoiler[if Linda is pretty strongly anti-cheating, that's going to really mess with her head if she wants to draw Banri away from Koko after his (re-)confession].
Agent355

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:05 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy Koko is certainly capable of all sorts of damage. Remember how she treated Chinami when she first met her? Heck, she was introduced beating a guy with roses!

She has an abusive personality and is very skilled at using words to hurt others. The minute Banri dare break her heart, she'll explode and it won't be pretty.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:11 pm Reply with quote
One thing just occurred to me: Koko's reaction to having spoiler[overheard Banri] seems somewhat muted to what you might expect. Given how she's acted with Mitsuo, you would think she would have gone ballistic on Banri and spoiler[grilled him to find out exactly what the deal with Linda is.] Quietly moping in her room doesn't really seem her style.

I CALL CHARACTER INCONSISTENCY!!!
meiam

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
HaruhiToy Koko is certainly capable of all sorts of damage. Remember how she treated Chinami when she first met her? Heck, she was introduced beating a guy with roses!

She has an abusive personality and is very skilled at using words to hurt others. The minute Banri dare break her heart, she'll explode and it won't be pretty.

Maybe I'll finally get my "school days"-like scenario, that would be glorious!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I CALL CHARACTER INCONSISTENCY!!!

I thought that it was rather in character that she has been explained that at a certain point she starts to get doubts, and then she starts stressing herself out in thinking about it. She has a habit of just making things worse when she is in the situation and does not know whose fault it is. I think that this was how she explained how she ended up hitting Mitsuo with flowers.

Koko has been coming to terms lately that she really does get obsessive until she does not realize what someone else is thinking, it has been the topic of things she has talked with Banri. I would guess that Koko actually realized that she had again started to turn into obsessive character an may have missed how he actually feels about her. We have seen her shift right after conversations into a depressed like state where she thinks about what she did wrong, only this time she is not going to Banri about it and her withdrawel started to compound. And not forget that her possible rival is Linda who has been nothing but kind to her.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:15 am Reply with quote
Someone call Ghostbusters, we got a case here. I don't remember but was that the first time they showed them kissing?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:20 am Reply with quote
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
Someone call Ghostbusters, we got a case here. I don't remember but was that the first time they showed them kissing?

I was actually thinking a couple hours ago if I had just imagined that part.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:11 am Reply with quote
Up to the last scene I thought the whole "ghost" thing was just a metaphor for how his old self ceased to exist when he lost his memories. Ah, what innocent days those were. Now I know the horrible truth. There really was a ghost, and now he's back to shake things up. Groan.

Seriously, this show does not need or want supernatural elements in it. It makes absolutely no sense for a person with amnesia to have an actual ghost possessing him.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:59 am Reply with quote
I'm still not entirely convinced that the ghost thing isn't just a metaphor. Obviously, from a story point of view, the ghost was a convenient way to convey Banri's memories to the audience. However, the ghost might still have been a representation of Banri's subconsciousness. So if Banri ispoiler[s getting his memories back, the idea of a ghost inhabiting his body is still a metaphor.]

However, this anime, so therefore the idea that there literally is a ghost of Banri with his old memories cannot be dismissed.

@ DP - no, look, this is very simple. We were given a very clear picture of how Koko acted with respect to Mitsuo - particularly how jealous she was when it was clear that he liked Chinami. Koko is nowhere near that emotional range with Banri. Now, you can argue that that might be a reflection of the fact that she's not as emotionally invested in Banri as she was (is?) with Mitsuo and therefore it makes sense that her reaction isn't as extreme. But that's the only explanation that makes sense to me beyond the theory of character inconsistency.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 22