• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 160 North American Screens Signed Up for Naruto Movie

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chaosbladeuk

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:58 am Reply with quote
Interesting to see how well this does in terms of box office. With 160 NA signed up it does show that Naruto the public has likened to Naruto!
Fiction Alchemist

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:52 am Reply with quote
What the HECK? Deleted.

Last edited by Fiction Alchemist on Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:15 pm; edited 2 times in total
bluesheep02

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:38 am Reply with quote
They obviously aren't trying to make money off of it that much, it's more for the fans.
MokonaModoki

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:48 am Reply with quote
It seems like a smart enough move to me, if the word gets out to the target demographic.

My brother's girlfriend's son is in 7th grade, records Naruto, Mar and Prince of Tennis on Saturday night (no One Piece, B^7 or Zatch Bell as far as I know), and gets the Naruto video games for his PS2.

He isn't an 'anime fan', doesn't buy DVDs, doesn't look for information about anime on the Internet, and wouldn't know a fansub if it bit him on the foot, but he loves Naruto. He's one of those people who we often assume don't exist in the insular world of Internet anime fandom, but he's out there and based on what I've seen of his peer group there are many more like him than there are of us.

(And no, I don't discuss anime with him or encourage him to broaden his anime horizons. He screws off enough as it is without bringing rampant Internet downloading into the mix.)

If he hears about this movie he'll want to see it - guaranteed. School will be out, so he probably won't be grounded, and it is a movie from a Saturday night cartoon, so it will be mom approved.

As for the content of the movie being 'filler', this would never begin to register on his radar for years to come, if ever. It's just a movie from a show he likes.

In the end, it boils down to is whether Viz will start advertising this during the Saturday evening broadcast of Naruto, because if they do he and his ilk will buy in. After that getting to see it will depend upon it being perceived by him and his "powers that be" as something convenient to accomplish. If Viz keeps pointing interested parties to fathomevents.com that last part is a bit iffy. You can't depend on the Internet to get to TV anime fans that aren't using the Internet for that purpose.
Kouji

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:50 am Reply with quote
So, is the Naruto movie going to be released in theaters in a slightly edited form with an uncut version on DVD like the TV series has been or will it be released uncut?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
ANBUx3

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:05 am Reply with quote
Kouji wrote:
So, is the Naruto movie going to be released in theaters in a slightly edited form with an uncut version on DVD like the TV series has been or will it be released uncut?

I don't remember anything in the movie that would really even warrant any editing...
bakaShin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:27 pm Reply with quote
ANBUx3 wrote:
Kouji wrote:

I don't remember anything in the movie that would really even warrant any editing...

me either. This is simply viz riding the naruto wave plain and simple. i think every one assumes this might do well but maybe not if a lot of naruto fans are closet ones who wont go out to see this.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Kouji wrote:

I bet it will be the slightly edited version, just so that it gets the PG rating instead PG-13. Probably just a little blood clean up and the foul language, which means we can add at least 10 more "Believe it" to the story.
BleuVII

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Still, the promotional that they are doing, where Shonen Jump subscribers can buy tickets first, is an ingenious marketing strategy. I tip my hat to whoever thought of that one.
otakuhippie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Wish there was an uncut subtitled showing of this. I've seen this movie a few times already and i would love to see this on the big screen, but not with horrible dubbing. /sigh one can only dream.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:56 pm Reply with quote
BleuVII wrote:
Still, the promotional that they are doing, where Shonen Jump subscribers can buy tickets first, is an ingenious marketing strategy. I tip my hat to whoever thought of that one.

Completely agree with you here, if you've been supporting the magazine then more then likely you've been dying to see the movie.

Quote:
Wish there was an uncut subtitled showing of this. I've seen this movie a few times already and i would love to see this on the big screen, but not with horrible dubbing. /sigh one can only dream.

The dubbing isn't terrible but anime on any big screen is pretty rare already so to see a subbed film is quite special unless it's for oscar qualifications like Paprika.
Karasuhebi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:38 pm Reply with quote
otakuhippie wrote:

Just watch the movie like 1,000 more times subtitled (or until you memorize the dialog) and then rip the audio track from your fansubbed movie and listen to your Japanese audio track while watching the video on the big screen. Very Happy

No joke, I've seen it done.
-Karasuhebi
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1