• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Welcome to ANN 5.0

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xScar

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:15 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Please tell me you guys are going to do something about the site on phones, because it's TERRIBLE. As someone with near 20/20 vision it almost hurts to read this site on a phone because the entire thing is zoomed in ridiculously. Even forcing the non-monile site on doesn't work because the site automatically resizes.

When one SENTENCE takes up my entire screen, there's a problem. I used to be able to read several paragraphs on one screen, this is just ridiculous.

What does the site look like for you? It's totally fine for me.

_V_

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:49 am Reply with quote
Argh
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:26 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Please tell me you guys are going to do something about the site on phones, because it's TERRIBLE. As someone with near 20/20 vision it almost hurts to read this site on a phone because the entire thing is zoomed in ridiculously. Even forcing the non-monile site on doesn't work because the site automatically resizes.

When one SENTENCE takes up my entire screen, there's a problem. I used to be able to read several paragraphs on one screen, this is just ridiculous.

There are some phone fixes planned. What phone are you using, and can you post a screenshot ?
jsc315

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Is there a possibility where the image that is related to the article be clickable directly to the article in the near future? I find myself more so with this new design then I will click on the pictures more often then the text next to or below it to get to the article.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:23 pm Reply with quote
The new ad skin seems to not work properly, at least under my custom-width. The home page and articles are scaling down fine, but the forums are now a good 140% of the screen width.

Also, the front page layout is still not sticking, despite not getting logged out.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:07 am Reply with quote
I just hit the road and switched to my MBP laptop. This might have been mentioned before, as I haven't read every post. On FF24 and after updating to FF25 on my mac if I minimize side bar everything shifts to the right and I have a big space to the left. This is not an issue in Safari, so I imagine it must be a bug in FF mac version. I also don't have this weirdness in FF on my PC at home running Win7.

The list view with pics on the front page has grown on me. I think it just needs minor tweaks. Still hate the grid view as its too busy and its one of the reasons I don't have any saved searches on ebay popping up on the front page annoying the hell out of me. However, I want to say thank you for giving us some options (unlike other sites that like to dictate how users interact with the site), its appreciated. I also hate drop down menus for various reasons, but I wont get into that now. On the other hand, the site seems to work fine on my iPhone. I haven't gone too deep with the phone but so far it seems fairly clear and visible.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Any chance of being able to opt out of the "Around the web" feature?

It's gratuitous, of absolutely no interest to me, has no relevance to anime and sometimes has images I don't want appearing on my screen at work, however briefly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
st_owly

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:12 pm Reply with quote
errinundra wrote:
Any chance of being able to opt out of the "Around the web" feature?

It's gratuitous, of absolutely no interest to me, has no relevance to anime and sometimes has images I don't want appearing on my screen at work, however briefly.

Seconded.
xstylus

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:22 pm Reply with quote
I know ads are a necessary evil, but can they please NOT take up well over 40% of the entire screen? Not exaggerating either, I measured. Aniplex must be paying you guys bank or something.

Edit: The front page has even more ads, way more than 40%.

2nd Edit: Okay, I see I can re-skin those ads to something else. I guess the younger visitors might find that nifty or something (do they visit often enough for that to even be an attractive feature?), but does that really need to take up so much space? Cripes...

Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:08 pm Reply with quote
I've just discovered that your co.uk has gone and now only your .com site comes up where I have to select [UK & Ireland] to get on UK site. Was this on purpose then?
thecritter

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:51 am Reply with quote
Please, don't overemphasize the title of each article and each headline. They're harder to read that way. Larger size, color, and bold are too much. Two of the three is fine, or any one of the three. All three is overkill and diminishes readability. Major headlines and section titles, sure. Every article's title, hell no. It's amateurish.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
I've just discovered that your co.uk has gone and now only your .com site comes up where I have to select [UK & Ireland] to get on UK site. Was this on purpose then?

I'm on .co.uk at the moment with no problems?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:04 pm Reply with quote
bglassbrook wrote:
The new ad skin seems to not work properly, at least under my custom-width. The home page and articles are scaling down fine, but the forums are now a good 140% of the screen width.

With the skin gone, the foums are partially back to "normal" today. The regular thread pages are fine, but the browsing & posting pages are still over-extended thanks to the sidebar.
Ignatz

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:50 pm Reply with quote
OK, here's one thing that really annoys me...

Every MyAnime/Manga page is displayed differently. The problem is that they ignore Text width preferences that you can set in the Account settings section (I have it set at 140). Here's what I mean

The way I see the forum:
http://i.imgur.com/DDaZyQD.png

The way I see my MyAnime page:
http://i.imgur.com/XHFW1Bb.png

And, as an example, here's the way I see errinundra's MyAnime page:
http://i.imgur.com/CkNgwYj.png

Basically, all you need to do is to make it so that Text width settings would work on every page. Is it that hard? Evil or Very Mad

Or maybe I'm wrong. Maybe this doesn't have anything to do with Text width. Either way, it's very annoying. Please do something to fix it.

Oh, and I almost forgot. Could you please put category lists in My Anime/Manga pages outside the sidebar? Or at least make an option to do so? Because I personally always have the sidebar minimized (if you ask me, the only place it belongs to is the main page), and it's very inconvenient how I always have to scroll down to get to my Seen some and Seen all lists because of how huge my Want to see list is. Of course, the same problem is present when checking out other people's lists too. It just makes no sense for category lists to be at the bottom of the page.
BinBouGami1234

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Could some of the old skins be brought back. I like that we can make our own skins now, but I miss my Summer Wars one.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 16 of 18