• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Coppelion (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:31 am Reply with quote
Episode 9

I am still holding out that Aoi will be able to do something special, I still find her humorous despite everything. It would actually be rather mean if she really does not have anything while every single other Coppelion has a special, which the writers would hold blame for giving someone the power of comic relief and being locked up. At least her reaction to No-sense was great.

The series has really slowed down for what its scope is so that we will probably not get a lot in it after all episodes.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:02 am Reply with quote
leatherhead333 wrote:
Second i really facepalmed as soon as the pregnant girl asked them to save someone else. I mean seriously why did she think NOW would be the best time to freaking bring it up? Why on earth didn't she tell them about when they were going to save Aoi from the 1st Division? That would have been the BEST possible time for such an absurd request but nooooo............
Let's just wait until we have to finally leave the area or everyone dies. That makes MUCH more sense.......

Yeah, that was my biggest problem with this episode. Also, if he's such a good guy what the hell is he doing with 1st Division?
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Episode 10

spoiler[Guess I'm still watching this 'cause I want to see how it'll end.
On the plus side it only has 3 more episodes.
I could suffer through those more easily if Aoi wasn't there.
It's so true, that robot is way more useful than Aoi.
She's such a cowardly crybaby..
Haruto proved his usefulness once again.
Naruse and Haruto are the most useful characters there.
Ozu sisters are still as annoying as ever.]
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:14 pm Reply with quote
*sigh* Aoi...

Well we find out that the Ozu sisters aren't invincible and have spoiler[weaknesses like Kanon's vulnerability to water.] Hopefully Aoi will do something useful next time judging by the title and some footage from the PV. Hopefully...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:27 am Reply with quote
Episode 10

How about you guys take on psychopathic twins with super strength and the ability to shoot electricity, who used to bully you relentlessly, and you seem naturally inclined to be afraid. Under those circumstances, the part where spoiler[Aoi stood up is actually impressive], her fear of violence might even be explained by having those two traumatise her.

And finally it looks like Aoi spoiler[indeed has a power], what it exactly spoiler[is can only be guessed. Could be teleportation, weight shifting, telekinesis] or who knows what, but it looks subconscious.

One of the strangest "serious" chases I have ever seen; spoiler[racing by swan boats].
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:06 am Reply with quote
No sense was actually pretty cool in this episode. Thought for sure he was going to die but he's quite handy. Though there is certainly some cartoon physics going on here (like when he blew up the boat one of the Azu sisters was in and see is seeing flying off an absurd distance). I'm going to guess we'll finally see Aoi's power next episode but honestly it feels like to little to late at this point because her character has already annoyed me past the point of redemption.
Plus........the hell did that iron spider mech come from? o_O

Like i think whoever wrote for this show thought "Hey kids in high school with super powers are cool let's put that in. Oh let's give a B2 unrealistic and illogical features. Let's not forget putting up the wind full of toxic air as a plot device. And for giggles why not a giant iron spider that seems extremely out of place in this setting?".

It's just a bunch of random things one after another that seem only serve to play things up and never have a decent explanation behind them. The fact that the Ozu sisters displayed this behavior even when they were in school makes the reasoning that they were even deployed in the first place even MORE stupid. You really have to turn the brain off to enjoy this imo.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:51 am Reply with quote
leatherhead333 wrote:
It's just a bunch of random things one after another that seem only serve to play things up and never have a decent explanation behind them. The fact that the Ozu sisters displayed this behavior even when they were in school makes the reasoning that they were even deployed in the first place even MORE stupid. You really have to turn the brain off to enjoy this imo.

And yet everyone loves Kill la Kill?
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:02 am Reply with quote
I don't, but there's a key difference. Kill la Kill straight up tells you to turn off your brain. Coppelion pretends like you shouldn't.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:12 pm Reply with quote
^ That.

The difference is that Coppelion is actually trying to tell a Compelling story (see what i did there?).

But it freaking helps if you don't add so many moments and logic that don't make any sense as well as pulling BS out the azz when it conveniences the story or drama.

As said above Kill la Kill establishes in the very first episode that it doesn't take itself seriously and is for mindless fun entertainment.

Meanwhile i have no idea what exactly Coppelion is trying to accomplish here by sloppily delivering a rather uninteresting story with characters who have pretty much stayed the same throughout the show never showing any development or interesting traits.

I'm probably more irritated with this show than i should be because i love these kinds of settings (post apocalyptic ) and this series never does anything meaningful with it. It's a shame really.
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Finally got time to watch this episode.
spoiler[So Aoi has teleportation powers when she gets serious.
I'm surprise Ibuki's lover looks normal compare to the Ghost Commander.
Speaking of Ibuki, her dad was once a power plant worker, hence why he wants his daughter and grandchild to have a better life due to his guilt just like Denjiro.
And the Ghosts have a giant Spider robot.]
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:02 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
How about you guys take on psychopathic twins with super strength and the ability to shoot electricity, who used to bully you relentlessly, and you seem naturally inclined to be afraid. Under those circumstances, the part where spoiler[Aoi stood up is actually impressive], her fear of violence might even be explained by having those two traumatise her.

Sure, give me a genetically enhanced body with my own superpowers and some training first...

Maybe you're not understanding what the complaint about Aoi is. She's like a lifeguard who can't swim and panics in the water. "...naturally inclined to be afraid"? Now that's a candidate I want to send into a danger zone! And yes, she might very well have been traumatized by the twins, in which case she doesn't belong out in the field. And neither do the twins.

We've only seen six Coppelion so far. I dunno how small this program was (if they really only have six, that's a problem right there, not to mention it makes the high school class structure of their training ridiculous), but if half of them are either incompetent or psychotic, I'd say the program needed more work before deployment.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:16 pm Reply with quote
wow, it's like the entire first division graduated from the Imperial Stormtrooper Marksmanship Academy.
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:31 am Reply with quote
Episode 11

Aoi finally becomes a badass spoiler[where she displays the ability to float and absorbs attacks. Looks like not even the rest of Coppelions knew she had these kind of powers.
And finally Haruto Crying or Very sad . He sacrifice himself to ensure the rest of the survivors could escape the oncoming radioactive storm despite being injured from a bullet wound.
I don't think Ibara is gonna take Haruto's death well.]
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:47 pm Reply with quote
As for good things i've liked Haruto's subtle character development so far. Probably the only character that has developed AT all in this entire series. I did sense a bit of love in the air between him and Ibara but i figured it would never go anywhere..............and sadly i was right. But that aside...

Here is another list of facepalms Coppelion has provided us with Anime smile.

1. So no explanation was given about that iron spider eh? Should have expected as much. Oh and such brilliant design to put what is essentially a self-destruct switch on the top of it. This didn't really effect anything but here we are in 2013 and we STILL have idiots fighting in machines with open cockpits? >.>

2. I'm going to take a wild guess and say Aoi is probably the strongest student out of the Coppelion and she was given a meek and crybaby attitude to offset her strength (pretty obvious setup really). This however is a very flawed design considering she apparently has no control over it and could have easily been killed earlier. But whatever it looks cool right?!!!!!!!...............

3. So the guy with the white coat somehow escaped his prison and wound up piloting the iron spider? Not to mention he also somehow survived the explosion and being shot several times. What is this guys body made of? Shoot he's much more durable than the Coppelion who are supposed to have superior regenerative powers lol! And you gotta love how he suddenly decides to turn good despite trying to kill them multiple times (and almost succeeded in this episode). I really hate villains like this. It's just big cope out really.

4. I already KNEW that the wind was going to be used as a convenient plot device but seriously i didn't think they'd use it like this. It's basically like "Alright we need to kill off some characters now".

5. How did Haruto outrun the train? If he had that kind of speed then he should have just jumped back on the train after stopping the pole lol!
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:51 pm Reply with quote
leatherhead333 wrote:
2. I'm going to take a wild guess and say Aoi is probably the strongest student out of the Coppelion and she was given a meek and crybaby attitude to offset her strength (pretty obvious setup really). This however is a very flawed design considering she apparently has no control over it and could have easily been killed earlier. But whatever it looks cool right?!!!!!!!...............

This would likely be correct although the show omits any explanation of her ability, or rather the characters themselves or Aoi doesn't even know what it is. So in essence, it just popped out of nowhere in this arc.

*sigh*
At least the action was decent this episode in some ways. Haruto will be remembered!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 12